Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Steve Downes - The Worst Piece Of Journalism Of All Time?

http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/as_ricky_van_wolfswinkel_gets_set_to_sign_for_saint_etienne_is_he_the_worst_norwich_city_signing_of_all_time_1_3712060

What an article to write.

Perhaps if you''d put ''Was Hughton, the worst Norwich Manager of all time?'' I could have understood it.

What''s the difference?

The answer to both questions is No. Though I dare say RVW is closer to the top of the list than Hughton is/was.

[:D]

I agree its a little unnecessary and sensationalist but to be honest I don''t see that the question is unreasonable.

For a start it is a question, not a statement of fact. Also, compared to the other notable failures that are listed, RVW is by far the most expensive and highly paid. For me Dean Coney was the worst I''ve seen and Ricky has a comparable scoring record to him. One goal in umpteen matches.

Worst piece of journalism of all time? Slight over reaction there. I''ll put my neck out and say The S*n''s headline of "THE TRUTH!" Was slightly (just ever so slightly) worse than a stupid poll on a local news site.

There was another article I heard about by The Scum where they were listing the top 50 flops in Premiership history (or something like that). In this they listed an Arsenal player who was killed in a car crash before he ever got to make his debut for them.

Is the article inappropriate whilst the player is still ours? Yes.

Is it the worst piece of journalism of all time? I''ve only included sports journalism and it''s a resounding no.

Embarrassingly poor journalism and I can only assume that this masterpiece didn''t find it''s way past the nose of the editor first?

Of course he''s not the worst, not even remotely close and let''s face it we do know what a crap player looks like, heaven knows we''ve had a few.

When Sutch signed a professional contract and indeed any number of subsequent new ones he took the Grand Prize in Crappyness and remains almost unassailable in his position of the worst ever.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/as_ricky_van_wolfswinkel_gets_set_to_sign_for_saint_etienne_is_he_the_worst_norwich_city_signing_of_all_time_1_3712060 What an article to write. Perhaps if you''d put ''Was Hughton, the worst Norwich Manager of all time?'' I could have understood it.[/quote]

Really? Bit strange to name a manager who led us to our highest position in 20 years as the worst Norwich manager of all time....

There is nothing wrong with that piece of journalism. It is a fair question to ask, and has been asked here. It is not as if van Wolfswinkel is some amateur trialllist (although that is actually just what he looked like). He is a professional footballer for whom we paid a great deal of money and to whom we paid a great deal of money. Querying that is quite valid.

Truly awful from Steve Downes. He should hang his head in shame after writing that.

Going into a season, new hope, new manager, Adams was meant to bring all supporters together after Hughton and all Steve Downes can write is that.

Right now, van Wolfswinkel is still a Norwich player (admittedly, probably not for long due to small minded fans like Steve Downes) but why not get behind our players instead of writing such trash?

I hope van Wolfswinkel proves people like Steve Downes completely wrong and he looks back on that article he wrote and feels very very stupid.

This forum constantly moans the newspaper is in the club''s pocket, boring, predictable and yet the second they put out one article that is mildly edgy and controversial and all you can do is moan even more... Perhaps you''d have preferred an article on how Russell Martin is the best-est and loveliest captain ever?

I have no objection to the question posed but find it strange that alternatives were offered.

Of course, he is our worst. £8.5M per league goal says it all.

But there aren''t too many decent journos around anymore and most have egos bigger than players.

Only thing wrong with it is he used the wrong striker to base the article around. Much more appropriate and true if written about Hooper.

Not the worst piece of football journalism by a long way, Ive read the guff on carrowroad.net.Lazy and uninspired would be a more apt description.