Sign in to follow this  
Angry man

O'neil to sign today

O''neil to sign on a bosman today on a 2yr deal, after his medical!!.

Must say I wasn''t excitied about this but QPR fans rated him and he seems like a 110% for the cause player!!!, Maybe the player we need in the middle of the park??.

QPR fans praise him so lets give the guy a chance first eh?[Y]

Why are people assuming someone is leaving?

We have lost two midfielders in Fox and Snodgrass.

Happy enough with that one. It''s not an "exciting" signing but it''s a very needed one. As people point out. He knows how to get out of this league. I''d imagine he''ll be happy getting a two year deal but if we get promoted, he''d likely find the championship again.

Good signing, we''ve needed this sort of experience in midfield for a while. Potential captain if Martin''s not playing I would think.

Strikes me as the sort of guy who has enough about him to go into coaching/management eventually. Not a bad thing to have a couple of "thinkers" around the squad (Russell Martin being another).

The Snodgrass heart-on-sleeve approach looks good and is sometimes what you need, but there are other times when a cooler head is required. I think he''ll provide that.

Suspended for the first game but I think he''ll be in the match day squad asap. Scored his first QPR goal against Ipswich; be good if he could do that again.

Yes, a good signing for the job we have to do this season. I have a couple of friends who are big QPR fans, normally very critical of almost any player, but they speak highly of him and are surprised he left.

In years gone by we''ve brought in a wise old head in midfield - Gary Megson and Peter Grant spring to mind. Given his experience of two recent promotions to the Premiership Gary O''Neil seems a first-class acquisition for what we''re about to do...

I am pretty happy with this. He brings experience, commitment and will be a great addition to the squad at this level...had we signed him in the Prem I wouldn''t have been displeased, so to have him at this crucial time is good.

Seems like a good and sensible addition, as mentioned above, bringing in Gary Megson at the start of the season when football was invented did us pretty well.

Knows the league, knows how to get out if it, loads of experience, good work Nayul.

A better footballer than Bradley Johnson, but equally combative and team-focused. No transfer fee to pay. Great piece of business, welcome aboard Gary!

Had a look at what the QPR forum seemed to think of his performances last season, they saw the best of him as a defensive midfielder and a good influence in the changing room. Have no problems with an addition in the area of the pitch Tettey is good when he''s on form, but injury prone. Johnson is consistent but some of his tracking back for a defensive midfield is woeful. Maybe at a lower level Johnson will not get shown up so much but if he does then it''ll be good business to have O''Neil.

Quality player at this level and would be comfortably our second best CM behind Fer. He''s head and shoulders a more complete and commanding player than Johnson, Tettey and Howson.

The perfect player for the right corner of the diamond, he''s also an intelligent, grounded guy who is looking to become a manager at the end of his career (TS interview) so I''m glad we''ve signed another leader (Which we lacked last year imo)

[quote user="lharman7"]Not excited by mercenaries and I expect we will be saying bye to a player soon. Wonder who?[/quote]

In what way is he a mercenary?

[quote user="Darth Catbeard"]Quality player at this level and would be comfortably our second best CM behind Fer. He''s head and shoulders a more complete and commanding player than Johnson, Tettey and Howson. The perfect player for the right corner of the diamond, he''s also an intelligent, grounded guy who is looking to become a manager at the end of his career (TS interview) so I''m glad we''ve signed another leader (Which we lacked last year imo)[/quote]

Disagree in that I would consider Howson to be the most complete player at the club - he is better at playing in either half than any other player. He remains underrated by many (too many).

But I do think O''Neil is a good player and would be a good signing.

Gingerpele wrote the following post at 04/08/2014 10:22 PM:

In what way is he a mercenary?

Well he''s had a few clubs and he''s a 31 year old free agent. Pretty self explanatory.

I would rather us sign players who are up and coming or are now in there peak years.

Not too sure if I like this signing or not.

I suppose if it''s necessary to get used to Championship style signings and QPR cast-offs, then fair enough.

If it''s a considered replacement for David Frost, then fair enough.

He clearly has a few things to offer us and the manager''s judgement must be trusted, but clearly he is no Leroy Fer.

If we end up with O''Neil and Harry ends up with Leroy then I will be miffed.

morty wrote the following post at 04/08/2014 4:08 PM:

Why are people assuming someone is leaving?

We have lost two midfielders in Fox and Snodgrass.

Do we not have adequate midfielders already to cater for most if not all situations?

With Adams'' comments regarding players coming and going it should be of no surprise that people are assuming that someone is leaving.

Also, Adams did make those comments after the departures of Snodgrass and Fox.

Hopefully we won''t lose anybody else and strengthen in the areas we need which in my opinion are central defence and maybe another striker when RVW leaves.

[quote user="lharman7"]Gingerpele wrote the following post at 04/08/2014 10:22 PM: In what way is he a mercenary? Well he''s had a few clubs and he''s a 31 year old free agent. Pretty self explanatory. I would rather us sign players who are up and coming or are now in there peak years.[/quote]

If a professional footballer wanting the best wage and, when the time comes, the best move for himself then just about all of them are mercenaries!

True, he hasn''t got his heart sold on a move to Norwich, nor will he be taking a massive drop in wages to play for us. But, as the saying goes, if he does what''s expected of him on the pitch and gets, Malky style, that third successive promotion, well....

And everyone here loves work

most footballers play for money hell spoken to a few who cant even stand football and its a job nothing more

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Darth Catbeard"]Quality player at this level and would be comfortably our second best CM behind Fer. He''s head and shoulders a more complete and commanding player than Johnson, Tettey and Howson. The perfect player for the right corner of the diamond, he''s also an intelligent, grounded guy who is looking to become a manager at the end of his career (TS interview) so I''m glad we''ve signed another leader (Which we lacked last year imo)[/quote]

Disagree in that I would consider Howson to be the most complete player at the club - he is better at playing in either half than any other player. He remains underrated by many (too many).

But I do think O''Neil is a good player and would be a good signing.

[/quote]

GJP - I''d hate to be anywhere near you the day Howson actually leave''s the club - It will be absolutely morbid !!!

I think he would be a good signing for us, bit of experience and gives 100% for the team.

He went above and beyond that sacrificing himself for QPR by getting sent off in the play-off final when had he not it would have resulted in a goal and no promotion. Maybe it''s QPR that are the mercenaries in all of this, he did that for the club, it helps them get promoted and then they dump him.

Bring him in before someone else snaps him up!