Starting 11 v wolves

-----------------------Lafferty-------------------

Redmond---------------------------Grabban

---------------------Hoolahan------------------

-----------Surman------------Johnson-------

Olsson----R.Bennett----Turner----Martin

------------------------Ruddy-------------------

Bench: Hooper, E.Bennett, Whittaker, Pilkington, Josh Murphy, Loza, Fer

This is based largely on pre season performances and the opposition, giving us solidity and the fluidity to be threatening on the break. It''s tough to leave out the likes of Pilks, E.Bennett and Hooper but that''s a good problem to have. We''ll need that depth over the course of the season. Howson misses out through injury, Fer likely not up to full fitness and ? over his future, O''neill suspended. Doubt R.Bennet will get the game but this is my pick.

I''d agree with that line up although Grabban will be the guy through the middle. Hopefully Fer will at least make the bench. I''m not sure what his fitness will be like though but if he''s 80% ready he''s better than any other available CM.

Assuming a diamond,  Howson and Fer not fit and Bassong binned (would start in place of bennett for me) my preferred team would be

Ruddy

Martin  Bennett  Turner  Olsson

ONeil     Tettey

Redmond      Hoolahan     Surman

Grabban

Subs

Rudd,  Whittaker, Garrido, Johnson,  Pilkington,  Hooper,   Lafferty

I suspect we will see

Ruddy

Whittaker   Martin  Turner   Olsson

O''Neil        Johnson         Surman

Wes 

Lafferty  Redmond

Why has Andrew Surman suddenly become flavour of the month?

Preferred on the left to Pilkington? Huh!

Why is O''Neill suddenly picked? I see him as a useful foot-soldier in what will be a tough campaign not a first game, first choice player.

Surely both him and Surman are back-up players and not to be used when better are available.

I thought that we were likely to be more attack minded from now on, so that means two up-front to me. Yet some have Hooper (and Lafferty) on the bench.

Tough first game, as most games are likely to be, but it''s only against a team who plied their trade two divisions below us last season after all.

Don''t see Surman and Hoolahan in the same side. Our midfield would be too easily bullied as both are useless defensively and too easily brushed aside.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Don''t see Surman and Hoolahan in the same side. Our midfield would be too easily bullied as both are useless defensively and too easily brushed aside.[/quote]

Yep! Exactly. This point was made by myself and others recently.

Both lightweight and slowish. WH only for me, with Surman benched (or sold to Bournemouth.)

I have Surman through the middle in my team, where he played to good effect at Bournemouth last season, not on the left. It is also not a one up front system but rather a three up front when attacking system. This utilises lafferty''s hold up play and Redmond and Grabbans recent goal scoring exploits.

GK. Ruddy

LB. Olsson

CB. Turner

CB. Bassong

RB. Martin

DM. Bradders

DM. Fer

AML. Pilks

AMC. Hoolahan

AMR. Redmond

ST. Grabban

Howson is meant to be ruled out, obviously O''Neil is too and I guess the same goes for Fer. With what we''ve got left I don''t think there''s many options to get a good balance in midfield. I''d have Bassong in defence but clearly that won''t be happening.

Ruddy

Whittaker Turner Bennett Olsson

Johnson

Redmond Tettey Surman Pilkington

Grabban

I think it keeps us solid but with a decent amount of quality and flair going forward - plus plenty of good options from the bench with the likes of Hoolahan, Bennett, Lafferty and Hooper.

Depends. If it''s a diamond I expect it to be:

GK: RuddyDF: Whittaker, Martin, Turner, Olsson.DFM: JohnsonMF: Surman, Howson.AMF: Hoolahan,STR: Grabban, Lafferty.

If it is 4-2-3-1 then Redmond for Howson I would guess.As for Pilkington, it will be interesting to see what happens there. He has a year left on his contract and hasn''t been used as regularly as other players in pre-season.

Anyone else a bit concerned of the lack of pace from our defensive players? Apart from Olsson we have none. Surman, Johnson, Martin, Bennett and Turner all struggle against this. I know it''s not as tough as the premier league but the problem still exists.

For me O''Neil is going to be more than a foot soldier,   he is better (quality passing, tackling, positional sense) in that central defensive midfield role than BJ and likely to stay fitter more often than Tettey,  who is his only realy competition (Fer, Howson are the alternatives and I see them more as box to box players)

Fair shout about Pilkington,   if fit he is top quality and creates and scores goals;   I failed to start him as I dont get the impression Adams likes him and that he wants to move on.    That would be a great shame as he as good a wide player as he have when on his game.

As for my personal preference for surman,  he knows the left mid diamond role well and in his fit season scored 4 times in the prem,  having done it well in the champs the season before for us too.    His use of the ball is good, he is positionally strong and his defensive work far better than stated; no player covered as much ground as him per game in our first season in the prem - incl BJ.     I think he is underrated and is the "new" signing of the summer with most quality for me.

Only problem I have is our defence looks suspect, without Bassong in at CB. Which will be the case.

With that lack of pace I''d be concerned to then play the likes of Surman and Hoolahan together as the O.P suggests.

A lack of pace in defence matched by Johnson who whilst a work-horse and strong is not quick, alongside Surman who also isn''t quick but covers ground very well - it''s when you start thinking in this sense that you realise with the current injuries / fitness issues we don''t have a fantastic balance available to us for the first game.

That''s not to say we will lose or it won''t be enough - it should be enough and if we play to our capabilities we should win against what in my opinion is a pretty poor Wolves side.

------------------Ruddy----------------

Martin---Bennet--Turner--Olsson

Bennett--------Fer-------Pilkington

----------Howson---Redmond------

----------------Hooper-----------------

ruddy

e Bennett, martin, turner, Olsson

tetty, Johnson, surman

Redmond hoolahan

grabban

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bennett Olsson

Bennett FerTettey Redmond

Hoolahan

Grabban

Funny how Hooper has disappeared so quickly from many first choice teams. Found it difficlut to leave out Fer so I stuck him in as BJ epitomises Hughton- like plodding to me. I like Surman but not with Hooly, where will BJ and Pilks fit in? Do we suddenly look to have good competition except at CB? 

What i would like to see (assuming that tettey and Howson are not available):

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Turner Olsson

Fer Johnson

Redmond Hoolahan Pilkington

Grabban

What I expect to see:

Ruddy

Whitaker Martin Turner Olsson

Johnson Surman

Grabban Hoolahan Redmond

Lafferty

My main worry for this one is not leaving our full backs exposed so I would not mind seeing Elliott Bennett start in one of the wide positions to try and keep a bit more or a grip in midfield.

Ruddy