Sign in to follow this  
Balham Yellow

Worthington is hopeless but we'll never get shot of him!

After travelling to Southampton on Saturday and having seen two out of three games at home I am convinced that we''re nothing more than a mid-table team.  We have glaring deficiencies in defence and midfield and who has Worthington brought in - Jarrett, Hughes, Louis- Jean - rank average players.  Palace have brought in players like Darren Ward and Jobi McAnuff that have added to their team, whilst I feel we''re treading water at best.  The fact that Wigan, Reading and Forest fans weren''t the least bit disappointed to see these players leave tells you everything you need to know.  Now Worthington wants to spend £2m on a new striker - surely we should be more worried about the fact that we don''t create anything for the strikers we have at the moment.  There is an appalling lack of creativity, guile and raw passing ability.  The only player who looks comfortable on the ball is Safri.

For those of you that will bang on about loyalty and the fact that Worthington got us promoted, I say ''so what?''.  He also got us relegated.  He was also at the helm when we failed to win a single away game all season.  He also bought in a number of players that proved to be little or no use whatsoever.  This club is riddled with sentimentality which is why Gary Holt played most of last season and why Craig Fleming will play this.  We need to be more ruthless and more demanding unless we plan to spend another decade outside of the top flight. 

Sadly I think that because we had useless manager after useless manager before Worthington the board are perhaps scared that if they remove Worthington from the job they may employ another useless manager. Despite Worthington being crap at many aspects of football management because he followed some blokes who were even worse his short comings are less of a problem with the board. Had we been in the Premierleague for the 8 or so years before he took over with a successful manager he probably wouldn''t have lasted as long as he had.

I hope that is clear. If anyone has difficulty trying to get my point I''ll attempt to explain it

I agree, Worthington is completely useless.

Any old fool could get a mid/lower table team up into the Premiership, mastermind victories against Man Utd and Newcastle with a squad worth about as much as Rooney''s left leg, whilst signing some incredible players over the two seasons (Huckerby, Safri, Ashton of course).

We''ve had a poor start, no doubt, but anyone who thought we were going to walk the Championship clearly hasn''t got a clue. Frankly, I''d like the "sack Worthy" threads to end because they''re monotonous, boring, dull, samey, and generally aggrivating. To see the amount of "armchair managers", who clearly have far better credentials than Worthy, but just choose to post their rubbish on message boards instead of taking up offers in the football league, is simply laughable.

If we still haven''t won after the next few games, then of course, we need to have a serious look at what is going wrong -- but until then can''t we stop repeating the same things over and over again?! This is further compounded by the fact that as a team we''ve generated a lot of chances, we just haven''t got the finishing touch yet. Patience is a virtue, so they say.

Each to their own however, of course.

[quote]After travelling to Southampton on Saturday and having seen two out of three games at home I am convinced that we''re nothing more than a mid-table team. We have glaring deficiencies in defence and mi...[/quote]

You just got that post out of the top drawer and put it straight on here. Top notch.

We need some ball players in our team, and with this it might take pressure off our defence because we won''t be losing it in front of them all the while. 1 centre mid might do us to take pressure of Shacks and Flemmer.

[quote]I agree, Worthington is completely useless. Any old fool could get a mid/lower table team up into the Premiership, mastermind victories against Man Utd and Newcastle with a squad worth about as much ...[/quote]

People are concerned by the start not just because we haven''t won in four games. I would be very annoyed if people were basing there arguments only on this season. It is however more likely that others like me am basing our opinions on Worthingtons performance during his four years as manager. He has always stuck with players who another manager would have dropped and allowed another player to have a chance to show what they can do. He also never seems to learn from his mistakes or successes. I am not saying we should remove Worthington from the job right now as I know all to well that football can change from one week to the next but when you consider some of the players we have in the squad, if we are still underperforming by November/December then it may be time to change things. Its not a moan its logic.