Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

Championship best business

I was wondering about peoples opinions on which Championship club has done the best business so far in this transfer window?

We often praise McNally for being shrewd, a couple of recent examples being Grabban for £3m and hopefully getting our money back on our record signing of £8.5m when he only has scored 1 goal for us. Not bad business at all in my opinion.

But the best business so far IMO has to go to Nottingham Forest. Recently sold Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow only for them to be loaned back for the season, whilst using the revenue created by that to buy record signing Britt Assombalonga, who looks like a good prospect. On top of that they have bought Michael Mancienne who looks like another good, young solid defender. Lascelles and Mancienne is a great CB partnership for the Championship.

What do you think?

I wonder if Stuart Pearce new about the Assombalonga signing, as he has come out and said the other deal was done behind his back. Also, that''s a lot of money when compared to the two strikers we signed....and playing devils advocate, if Mancienne was that great he would be in the EPL right now.

£5.5m is pricey for a striker from Peterborough, but then again Gayle cost Palace £8m. Though I dare say that if we bought him for £5.5m we''d shrug our shoulders in acceptance that, that is the way football is going nowadays. I''ve not said that Mancienne is ''great'' but I do think he''s a ''good'' signing for a Championship side like Forest, we shall see. Apart from negativity though, you failed to answer my question on which club do you think has done the best business so far Mark?

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"] On top of that they have bought Michael Mancienne who looks like another good, young solid defender.  [/quote]

He''ll be 27 before the end of the season. Is he still "young"?

He''s average, anyway.

Yeah, I wouldn''t consider 26 years of age old, but in terms of physicality he should be reaching his peak soon. Like I said to Dubai I''ve not said he''s going to be Vincent Kompany, in fact, like you highlighted, I said he is ''good''. Definitely good for the Championship imo. Also like Mark, you have failed to have much input, instead you have diverted away from context of the question to try and pick holes. So who do you think has done the best business so far?

Not sure if anyone really stands out at this stage.

We''re one of the better ones, I think.

Not sure about Forest. Pearce''s comments after the Darlow and Lascelles deal doesn''t exactly point to everyone pulling in the same direction. And if you haven''t got everyone going in the same direction then how good is that business?

I like this approach, let''s persistently remind people to stay on topic, rather than, say, what happened to the "wolves fan in peace" thread, or pretty much any other thread you''d care to mention.

Having said that I cannot answer this question myself. I feel I need to wait until we''re a few games into the season first. McCormack''s transfer to Fulham, for example, is a bit of a joke at the moment owing to the over-inflated fee, but if after 10 games he has scored a similar amount of goals people will say it''s signing of the season.

I think retaining as many as we have (if it stays that way) would be seen by most as remarkably good business.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]£5.5m is pricey for a striker from Peterborough, but then again Gayle cost Palace £8m. [/quote]

Don''t know how they do it but Posh seem to be able to get the best out of up-and-coming strikers.

Still big gambles though. Gayle had never played Prem football but seems to have found his feet at Palace whereas Assombalonga has had just four Championship games under his belt and no goals.

On that basis I think we got a good deal in Grabban. 

If we can get a center back in (In the Leon Barnett mould) and shift only Bassong and Becchio and maybe Fer and somehow keep the squad together we''d have done the best business.

It''s difficult to replace Premiership quality players when you''re a Championship club. Fulham and Cardiff are completely changing their squads which has proven time and time again to be a bad idea, keeping the squad mostly together and strengthening the previous years weakness like we''ve done so far has had the most success bouncing back.

Us keeping our team would be far more impressive business than any signings the other clubs make

[quote user="Darth Catbeard"]If we can get a center back in (In the Leon Barnett mould) and shift only Bassong and Becchio and maybe Fer and somehow keep the squad together we''d have done the best business.

It''s difficult to replace Premiership quality players when you''re a Championship club. Fulham and Cardiff are completely changing their squads which has proven time and time again to be a bad idea, keeping the squad mostly together and strengthening the previous years weakness like we''ve done so far has had the most success bouncing back.

Us keeping our team would be far more impressive business than any signings the other clubs make[/quote]I don''t know. Fulham and Cardiff bombed in the premier league last season. You can hardly blame them for changing their squads.I actually don''t think Cardiff are looking that bad, Solskjær has signed Adeyemi as a replacement to Mutch. He knows Adeyemi and has said he has been watching him since our under 18 games when he was the Man Utd under 18s manager. Has to be said that it could turn out to be a shrewd move. They were always going to lose the likes of Caulker and Medel - they were just too good for them, even in the premier league. I suspect both moved there knowing it was a great place to showcase their talent. Medel to play in the best league - Caulker to prove he was premier league able.Fulham should have overhauled their squad a long time ago. If you look at the players they have shipped out since May - a lot of  them are over 30 and probably were not good enough last season anyway.- Berbatov (33) was never going to stay and has gone very much off the boil in the last two-three seasons.- Riise (33), was good when he played for Liverpool but never quite reached those heights since.- Heitinga (30), struggled at Everton, solid if unspectacular.- Duff (35), classy player in his prime, still has the skill and class but well past his best days now, and has gone out to pasture in Australia.- Sidwell (31), another solid if unspectacular player. Reasonable with the ball at his feet. Seems to have been in the top flight a while but always been one of those players that appears to play well in bottom to mid-table teams. Moved to Stoke.- Karagounis (37), perhaps one of Greece''s greatest players, especially in the last 10-15 years at least. But at 37 I think he''d find the Championship a grueling prospect.- Diarra (33) as with many of the others, was good once, now entering the last couple of years of his career.- Boateng (31) highlight of his career was either playing for Fulham or Panathinaikos and between those two he managed 27 appearances in 3-4 seasons.- Hangeland (33) I think you are getting the drift by now.- Riether (31), Richardson (29, 30 in October), Dejagah and Stockdale both 28.The exception possibly being Kasami who is 22.What''s really scary are the players they still have despite ejecting all of those players. Parker, Ruiz, Stekelenburg, Kačaniklić, Mitroglou, Rodallega and they''ve signed Hoogland and McCormack amongst others. Not to be underestimated that''s for sure.