Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Can Adams be the new Lambert?

I''m not saying he will have anywhere near the impact or success that Lambert had, but looking at the way we''ve shaped up in pre season and the comments Adams makes, he clearly has been strongly influenced by Lambert.

A mere radio pundit when Lambert arrived, Adams was clearly instantly impressed and ran out of superlatives when describing Lambert as a manager and the way he had us playing. He was then brought into the youth setup and so on...

Anyway my point simply being that if he can bring any of the magic and atmosphere of those days back to the club, then hurrah and bring it on. He''ll need a bit of luck as Lambert had, but good vibes from the squad, a positive line up and style of play, plans b,c,d and so on waiting to be tried at any time and a quality squad for the championship (barring a late exodus) and happy times could well be ahead.

[quote user="Robin Hood canary"]Let''s see if he can win a competitive game first before getting over excited![/quote]

Huzzah! [Y]

[quote user="Robin Hood canary"]Let''s see if he can win a competitive game first before getting over excited![/quote]

First things first,   taking the lead or even scoring first would be massive progress,  his sides have only scored when the game was already lost. ;-)

Or to put a positive spin on it we have not lost points from a losing position under neyul 

I think he can up to a point.

An argument against it would be that Lambert had a much worse team to work with, -Whitbread, Nelson, Lappin, Gill, Hughes, Wilbraham, Ward, Askou, Tierney. Yet at the same time our strikers were woeful last season (mostly through the style of play, so not all their fault) and Lambert had Holt and a team full of momentum going into the championship after breezing through League 1. But if Adams can be as tactically astute this season as lambert was, I don''t think anyone can have any worries, although I think perhaps Lambert had a harder job with the squad he had.

Adams certainly seems to be excelling at his man management duties. Praising Wes for his unique qualities and passing on positive praise for the departing RVW (attitude wise) are reminiscent of Lambert''s style. Team spirit seems to be at an alltime high...

He seems to have flexibility in his tactics and use of personnel. He talks of different types of game. This is certainly a fresh perspective from the last two seasons where we had plan A, plan A, plan A etc

His philosophy to attack is the same as Lambert. However, an area Lambert has never managed to master is to get his teams to boss possession. Whether we will, under Adams, remains to be seen.

What impresses me about Adams is his knowledge and attention to detail. These two attributes are often key to being a good manager.

Freezing out Bassong and Becchio is a similar tactic used by Lambert and other managers. It can completely backfire though. It''s debatable whether it helped Aston Villa with Stephen Ireland or Darren Bent (possibly ok cos Benteke came to the fore). Roeder proved freezing out players could be disastrous.

As long as the players perform I''m not too fussed what style Adams uses but I certainly think he''s observed the positivity of the ''glory years'' under Lambert!