Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Interesting comment from NA re O'Neill

"The other players have been really impressed with how he’s applied himself in the three or four training sessions he’s had with us so far.”

You don''t normally here a manager talking about what the squad thinks of a prospective signing. Suggests that Adams has consulted the players about signing him, which if that''s the case is really encouraging. How many squads get to have a say in who we sign? Obviously it won''t always happen but we never stop hearing about the importance of a close knit team where everyone pulls for each other so it''s equally important we sign players who fit in well.

It''s a small thing but it''s great to hear that the players have had a chance to work with O''Neill and see for themselves if they think he will be an asset to the team. Clearly they think he will be, and that counts for a lot imo.

"Suggests that Adams has consulted the players about signing him"

Does it? Surely it only suggests that the players have commented on him following some training sessions. I''m not knocking the obvious positives from this story though.

It also suggests the players have taken up a collection to help finance the signing, and that they will be drawing straws to see which one gets to give him their home so he fan settle in more quickly. I also believe it suggests they want him for captain and that his favorite dessert is warm pecan pie with a scoop of rich vanilla ice cream.

Or maybe I''m over-analysing a nondescript, passing comment.

It''s one of the functions of the new Football Committee, they appoint a working party to assess the player then the players wives interview the new players wife and if she''s got the latest Dolchy & Carrabina hand bag and likes TOWIE and Made in Chelsee they sign them.

Well maybe i have read too much in to it - but then you could accuse him of doing the same thing if all he has done is draw a conclusion from a training session that the players are impressed with him. If he hadn''t asked them, how can he know they''ve been impressed with a player? They might have kicked seven bells out of him,, but that doesn''t say whether they''re impressed or not.

It''s just not something you always hear a manager say and is a small insight in to how he is thinking about his squad. Maybe.

He was probably the first to the bar in the post-training session booze-up.

That Snodgrass was a tight little Jock after all who never failed to leave his sporran in his locker.

My Wife is thinking of signing up for swimming lessons....i fear that means she''s about to leave me.

Will i get a transfer fee, as i have her on a lifelong contract?...better still, maybe a loan, she might return more valuable, and i get an extended holiday and someone else pays. Win Win.

[quote user="a1canary"]"The other players have been really impressed with how he’s applied himself in the three or four training sessions he’s had with us so far.”

You don''t normally here a manager talking about what the squad thinks of a prospective signing. Suggests that Adams has consulted the players about signing him, which if that''s the case is really encouraging. How many squads get to have a say in who we sign? Obviously it won''t always happen but we never stop hearing about the importance of a close knit team where everyone pulls for each other so it''s equally important we sign players who fit in well.

It''s a small thing but it''s great to hear that the players have had a chance to work with O''Neill and see for themselves if they think he will be an asset to the team. Clearly they think he will be, and that counts for a lot imo.[/quote]what you have not added is what were the questions asked of NA..........or did he just say this stuff unprompted ?

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]My Wife is thinking of signing up for swimming lessons....i fear that means she''s about to leave me.

Will i get a transfer fee, as i have her on a lifelong contract?...better still, maybe a loan, she might return more valuable, and i get an extended holiday and someone else pays. Win Win.[/quote]Very good. But what happens if she fails to score while on loan?

[quote user="Nuff Said"][quote user="wcorkcanary"]My Wife is thinking of signing up for swimming lessons....i fear that means she''s about to leave me.

Will i get a transfer fee, as i have her on a lifelong contract?...better still, maybe a loan, she might return more valuable, and i get an extended holiday and someone else pays. Win Win.[/quote]Very good. But what happens if she fails to score while on loan? [/quote]

cue joke about being pulled off at half time

Joking aside, IMO Adams'' man-management has been very good so far. Many of us feared a mass exodus and yes, more will leave, but not a mass exodus. Our fate is clearly in his hands at the moment, but I''m begining to believe that we might, just might have something special here.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Joking aside, IMO Adams'' man-management has been very good so far. Many of us feared a mass exodus and yes, more will leave, but not a mass exodus. Our fate is clearly in his hands at the moment, but I''m begining to believe that we might, just might have something special here.[/quote]Really? Right now all I''m seeing is a club paying £20-25k a week to a Cameroon international to have a daily kick about with the youth team and a manager who motivated his players to achieve 1 point out of a possible 15 on route to relegation.Hopefully he''ll turn out to be a good manager but I wouldn''t get too excited yet.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Joking aside, IMO Adams'' man-management has been very good so far. Many of us feared a mass exodus and yes, more will leave, but not a mass exodus. Our fate is clearly in his hands at the moment, but I''m begining to believe that we might, just might have something special here.[/quote]Really? Right now all I''m seeing is a club paying £20-25k a week to a Cameroon international to have a daily kick about with the youth team and a manager who motivated his players to achieve 1 point out of a possible 15 on route to relegation.Hopefully he''ll turn out to be a good manager but I wouldn''t get too excited yet.[/quote]That''s because that is the way to want to see it . or have it portrayedwhy that is, only you will know

Funnily enough, for me, when I saw Adams interviewed on the television after the Youth Cup win I thought that he came over very well and remember thinking that we could do worse than to have him as our manager. I think Hughton was in one of his regular troughs at the time so it was natural to think about alternatives.

Once actually appointed (temporary) manager NA''s appeal dipped in my opinion, culminating in the post-Chelsea interview where he made no logical sense whilst Mourinho was berating, with contrasting eloquence, our lack of ambition in the circumstances.

His stock has probably  risen a bit since as he now seems to be making the right noises, along with a few decent signings, and he appears to be generating a decent feel  good factor within the squad.

Some doubts remain and I feel that, with a squad capable of doing very well this coming season, the biggest concerns surround Neil Adams himself.

Gary Holt''s arrival has pleased me a lot, but it is a pity that we lost BFJ. I would be more optimistic about Adams''s chances were he to be under the guidance of his one-time mentor and friend, Joe Royle.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Joking aside, IMO Adams'' man-management has been very good so far. Many of us feared a mass exodus and yes, more will leave, but not a mass exodus. Our fate is clearly in his hands at the moment, but I''m begining to believe that we might, just might have something special here.[/quote]Really? Right now all I''m seeing is a club paying £20-25k a week to a Cameroon international to have a daily kick about with the youth team and a manager who motivated his players to achieve 1 point out of a possible 15 on route to relegation.Hopefully he''ll turn out to be a good manager but I wouldn''t get too excited yet.[/quote]That''s because that is the way to want to see it . or have it portrayedwhy that is, only you will know

[/quote]Eh, it is what it is I suppose. Nothing I stated was incorrect, including my hope that he''ll turn out to be a good manager. I''m certainly looking forward to seeing how we perform against Wolves on Sunday but following a dismal season and the signing of a manager who''s never won a professional game it seems peculiar to be thinking there might be "something special here". I always find empirical evidence to be the best judge.