Sign in to follow this  
militantcanary

Are we keeping our players after all?

Maybe I have jumped the gun but the new season is now almost here and we have almost exactly balanced our squad from last season

Out Fox in O''Neil

Out Van Wolfswinkel In Lafferty

Out Snodgrass in Grabban

I and the rest of you predicted that we would would have lost another 4 or 5 first team regulars by now.

The thing is that I think that we need to make one more big sale to balance the books with wages around the 35M mark at an educated guess that would equate to about 90% of our turnover for the season. Thus to keep the Academy at Cat 1 which may be 5M p.a we would need to make another 5M sale?

This is the reason that its so quiet on the incoming front we currently can''t afford to sign anyone.

Mind you we are doing it the sensible way in stark contrast to Cardiff who have sold their 4 best players and who will not finish in the top 4 or 5 in a billion years.

I''m beginning to thinks other teams have been frightened off by the prices City are demanding. The Snodgrass and RvW deals were both excellent for our club, and McNally isn''t going to cave into last minute ''bargain bids''.

I''m interested in seeing what happens to Bassong and Becchio. They could really be massive for us this season if Adams wants them and they''re in the right head space.

[quote user="militantcanary"]Maybe I have jumped the gun but the new season is now almost here and we have almost exactly balanced our squad from last season

Out Fox in O''Neil

Out Van Wolfswinkel In Lafferty

Out Snodgrass in Grabban

I and the rest of you predicted that we would would have lost another 4 or 5 first team regulars by now.

The thing is that I think that we need to make one more big sale to balance the books with wages around the "35M mark at an educated guess that would equate to about 90% of our turnover for the season Thus to keep the Academy at Cat 1 which may be 5M p.a we would need to make another 5M sale?

This is the reason that its so quiet on the incoming front we currently can''t afford to sign anyone.

Mind you we are doing it the sensible way in stark contrast to Cardiff who have sold their 4 best players and who will not finish in the top 4 or 5 in a billion years.[/quote]

the rest of us ? I don''t remember all those posts"35M mark at an educated guess that would equate to about 90% of our turnover for the season."we earned around £23m last time we were in the championship - we get £23m parachute payments .... even removing the Champs TV money would leave us with around £45m income for this season

"Thus to keep the Academy at Cat 1 which may be 5M p.a "£5m ! ! !the cost is around £2.3m with £750,000 of that coming from a grant so it actually costs the club around £1.5m

all this info is easily accessed from official sources via a couple of clicks of the mouse yet we still get this ridiculous old guff put up

Blame me for that City 1st.I think I said at the end of last season that I could see a minimum of 4 leaving and as many as 8 or 9 if things went a bit pear shaped and players started demanding to leave. Sort of worse case scenario. I also said that the issue would be replacing those that left and getting the squad to gel and play for each other and more positively again. Regain that spirit so to speak.

[quote user="chicken"]Blame me for that City 1st.I think I said at the end of last season that I could see a minimum of 4 leaving and as many as 8 or 9 if things went a bit pear shaped and players started demanding to leave. Sort of worse case scenario. I also said that the issue would be replacing those that left and getting the squad to gel and play for each other and more positively again. Regain that spirit so to speak.[/quote]it was not the players leaving - as a good case can be made that some will see themselves as PL players a will want to return thereit was the stuff about our income and the cost of the Academy, which if unchallenged soon become fact ... and a stick to beat the club withthere are still nearly four weeks of the transfer wondow left so may still see players leave

I do think that many of us feared the worst, but the worst hasn''t happened and I doubt it will. the two deals done so far have been excellent for the club, and even if Bassong, Bunn and Becchio leave, the squad will be strong enough for the coming season. If those three are replaced, even more so.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I''m interested in seeing what happens to Bassong and Becchio. They could really be massive for us this season if Adams wants them and they''re in the right head space.[/quote]Bassong will not play for us again

Fer yes, Redmond not so sure.

Fer in my view was a waste of spence most of last season, he couldn''t be bothered half the time and will be less bothered this year in the Chamoionship, scoring in the World Cup has added to his value and made a lazy can''t be bothered footballer worth more than we should rightly get for him based on last seasons display, bigger disappointment for me last season than RVW, who at least looked like he cared and tried.

With Redmond, realistically where is he going to go in the Prem, and if it''s not an established club why bother. Surely we have one of the nest chances of going up of any team I the Championship so why not sit it out and see. Come January if things aren''t going great then yes, if he is playing well he might be off.

For me we quickly need to get Bassong, Bunn and Becchio off the books, he clearly doesn''t either rate them as a player or their attitude stinks, either way no place for them here so let''s just get on with it. Question is, does anyone actually want them.......apparently Leeds turned down a loan for Becchio and if they don''t want him, who does!?! Shame though as I think he would do a great job with the right frame of mind, was always a handful and scored regularly in previous seasons.

Is there any cap on the amount of players you can have in your squad in the Championship?

Looking at the current squad and the number of U-21''s, it looks to be the right amount, quality aside, in terms of numbers needed.

46 league games and two cup competitions that we should be taking seriously will test any club and unlike some of the less fortunate clubs in our division, despite our unease with certain players, they do have enough experience and ability to raise us above the majority of this season''s opponents.

Of course, the attitude does need to be married to that ability.

It''s also worth mentioning that we also lost the loanees - most note-worthy Elmander and Yobo, but there was the cameo from Gutierrez as well.That''s three, plus Nash and Fox. Snodgrass and RVW sold/loaned.However, we have Surman and E.Bennett back and have signed Grabban, Lafferty and O''Neil.So we were down 7 on last years squad and have five in effectively, if you include Surman and E.Bennett. That''s two players down on last year.Then you have Becchio and Bassong.CB is clearly a place that needs to be looked at. We''d be down to three CB''s if Bassong leaves (or should I say when), and that includes Martin - who is clearly going to play there this season. Then you also have RB as an issue - even if we were to sign another CB. Although Martin could provide cover?

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Agree that Fer would be the likeliest to leave, but at least O''Neil signing provides some insurance against a last minute transfer. Can''t see Redmond leaving.[/quote]

There are a few teams sniffing around after Redmond

I do believe he will only go when the offer is right at around 10 million

I think i have equated the start up figure of the Academy with the ongoing costs but I don''t think we are much off paying wages at 90% of turnover. We spent 51M on wages in the season before last but this was based on 13 months not 12. The introduction of Fer and RVW and Ruddy''s new contract would have seen wages go up to about 55M. No no-one is sure of the reduction written into the players'' contracts but I cannot think it can be higher than 30% which equates to 38.5M. A good consequence of few incomings and outgoings is of course less spent on agents.

We are in a stable position with our finances but still get to get another couple of the wage bill if only to have room to get in a couple of good loans.

On paper we have the best squad in the division and possibly the best team. If you look at the other 2 teams coming down there are in a right mess and will also have to assimilate 9 players very rapidly.

" If you look at the other 2 teams coming down there are in a right mess"and that is what is constantly being overlookedmost relegated clubs (and it is the club) come down as a result of far greater problems than simply having a chronically hopeless managermany have huge debts, internal strife or simply seem to have ran out of steam - and it is those problems as much as leaving the PL that often cause players to jump ship on massconversely we were, and are, in one of the healthiest positions we have been possibly in our historybeing debt free is not only removing the burden of payments but the often nagging fear that those debts might well sink us, we have a cracking income to outgoings ratio, with an extremely healthy dollop of cash (£23m) being given to us in parachute paymentsthe ground has been selling out and the youth set up is now beginning to deliver and will continue to do so for the foreseeable futureso in reply to the OP it is not a case of ''after all'' unless you had not been looking closely at what has been going on at the club - or didn''t pay heed to those words that we will be a ''yo yo club for the next few yearsso let''s see come next May how many stay then ... after all

or maybe you could tell us how much of that £23m has been paid to Norwich City FC so far

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]....just as a matter of interest, how much of that £23m parachute payment has been spent so far?[/quote]

On transfers? I''d assumed that the fees paid for Grabban and Lafferty would be easily covered by the Snodgrass money. We have now also received £1m plus from the RVW loan fee and are likely to get some cash in for Bassong and Becchio.

I suspect that we will end the Summer''s transfer business in balance, and although we could be in for a surprise. I expect some money is being held back for a loanee or two from the PL scrapheap, as mentioned by Adams.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]....just as a matter of interest, how much of that £23m parachute payment has been spent so far?[/quote]

On transfers? I''d assumed that the fees paid for Grabban and Lafferty would be easily covered by the Snodgrass money. We have now also received £1m plus from the RVW loan fee and are likely to get some cash in for Bassong and Becchio.

I suspect that we will end the Summer''s transfer business in balance, and although we could be in for a surprise. I expect some money is being held back for a loanee or two from the PL scrapheap, as mentioned by Adams.

[/quote]

that would certainly be the reasonable assumption by most........

[quote user="City1st"]or maybe you could tell us how much of that £23m has been paid to Norwich City FC so far

[/quote]

in your own time

[quote user="militantcanary"]I think i have equated the start up figure of the Academy with the ongoing costs but I don''t think we are much off paying wages at 90% of turnover. We spent 51M on wages in the season before last but this was based on 13 months not 12. The introduction of Fer and RVW and Ruddy''s new contract would have seen wages go up to about 55M. No no-one is sure of the reduction written into the players'' contracts but I cannot think it can be higher than 30% which equates to 38.5M. A good consequence of few incomings and outgoings is of course less spent on agents.

We are in a stable position with our finances but still get to get another couple of the wage bill if only to have room to get in a couple of good loans.

On paper we have the best squad in the division and possibly the best team. If you look at the other 2 teams coming down there are in a right mess and will also have to assimilate 9 players very rapidly.[/quote]

50%

Keeping our players or nobody is interested.

It is clear the only players where interest would be shown was snoddy, hooper, fer, Redmond, ruddy and rvw

If people honestly think that others would have interested other premiership teams then this summer has proved that players who have had 2-3 seasons have not made an impression. I worry that these players have not improved year on year to make them show they are automatic promotion contenders.

We may lose a few more off that list but if so, then we need replacements, our recruitment has been poor for a team that needs some fresh blood. Let''s see if Adams can bring in some further additions to the group.

Selling Redmond now even for big money would be very disappointing. Fer I half expect to go but its clear Redmond is a key player for us this season in terms of how Adams wants to play. We don''t need the money. Redmond us one I would say is not for sale full stop.

[quote user="smooth"]Keeping our players or nobody is interested.

It is clear the only players where interest would be shown was snoddy, hooper, fer, Redmond, ruddy and rvw

If people honestly think that others would have interested other premiership teams then this summer has proved that players who have had 2-3 seasons have not made an impression. I worry that these players have not improved year on year to make them show they are automatic promotion contenders.

We may lose a few more off that list but if so, then we need replacements, our recruitment has been poor for a team that needs some fresh blood. Let''s see if Adams can bring in some further additions to the group.[/quote]

We don''t need multiple new additions. We''ve got a very decent squad and I think the three signings Adams has made so far look line good business so in a nutshell I disagree.

I fully expect Fer, Bassong & Becchio to leave. Whilst Fer is probably fighting off offers, I suspect it''s been harder getting offers for the other two. I suspect Bassong will go out on loan somewhere and Becchio may be a swap option. Fer will go very soon.

Also, might be smart to sell Redmond, then loan him back in to boost the kitty.