Sign in to follow this  
canarycop

Steven Whittaker

Now I haven''t looked at other threads yet but in my opinion Whittaker today was awful.

I have been on this site saying we need a new RB and CB and today proved my point.

Fair play Martin and Turner were ok but SW was terrible.

Mind Olsenn wasn''t much better.

To me Ollsen and Redmond looked as if they were not up for the fight and are probably looking to move. We shouldn''t give SW the option

Ship out back to Rangers

Spot on, and if Redmond is worth so many millions then I must be worth more as my work has a far better end product than his.

True Sw was truly awful but nothing we didn''t know why is he starting.

Olsson''s ban and lack of fitness means he will be going nowhere soon. Appalling professionalism if was looking to get a move to anywhere.

Russell Martin''s performance indicates move back to RB will be inevitable.

Never been a fan of Whittaker or understood why people rate him - I think sometimes last season other players were so utterly abysmal that they made him look far better than he ever really was. Today he looked like a League 2 defender at best, which frankly is about the standard of Rangers so not surprising really.

Martin is a decent RB for this division, but never has been much good in the centre, he''s fine filling in there for the odd 20 minutes but I don''t get why anyone ever thought he could do the job permanently. We desperately need a genuine quality central defender freeing RM up for the rightback slot, or we are going to suffer badly this season.

Whittaker wasn''t terrible but I don''t think he''s quite good enough and we could better in the rightback position.

I like Martin better at CB where his lack of pace isn''t so exposed but I think he''s less of a liability than Whittaker there!

SW did some good runs forward to try to make things happen and the goal wasn''t his fault. He was getting outnumbered at times and had very little help in front of him partly due to the formation . There wasn''t much movement in central midfield so his passing options were often very restricted.

Said to my lad at half time, Whittaker was a nightmare waiting to happen!!! God awful!

Been a long time since anyone played well at right-back for us.

Why exactly did Whittaker qualify as terrible? He wasnt at fault for the sending off, the cross for the goal, the goal itself or any other key negative moment in the match, that I recall. Instead I remember clapping him at least three times for reading the game really well and intercepting passes, and a couple of other times for decent tackles followed by finding a team mate with a pass. Didnt get shredded by the wide player on his side in the manner Olsson did? Actually thought he was one of our better performers defensively even though I would agree that he didnt offer us the kind of overlapping wide threat that Martin normally gives from that position. Not saying he was brilliant because no-one was today but wouldnt have described him as terrible or awful.

I think we''re still in the same place as last season, Martin nor Whittaker able to stamp their authority on the RB position. They''ll be swapping every week when one of them fails to perform.