Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Need to get the basics right then add the flair

I''m not too despondent about losing yesterday as I think we have the players and I also think its evident they were undercooked after a questionable pre-season schedule. I think they will get fitter and sharper and also the injured players coming back will strengthen us.

However Adams really needs to learn quickly from yesterday''s game. I''ve seen the phrase in another thread "powder puff" and that is exactly right. This league requires strength and solidity down the central spine of the team and yesterday we did not have that. Bennett must play CB with Martin reverting to the right. Tettey has to play when fit because he is the only midfielder who is genuinely adept in that role screening the back 4 and we also need a target to hit up front who can hold the ball up. Grabban is not that type of player so it has to be Lafferty. Get that spine right and then we can add the flair and pace of Grabban, Redmond, Wes, Pilks and Josh Murphy around it plus hopefully the finishing of Hooper and we may be in business.

5 yellow cards says it all really. Outdone for pace in every department. Gary Holt needs to have them working harder, this is a fast physical league.

But how comes then that the midfield that looked "powder puff" during most of the first half was capable of dominating the game in the second until the red?