Sign in to follow this  
BroadstairsR

Another sstriker?

With RVW seemingly off to France and Becchio,s continual failure to be used pre-season suggesting his fate is probably sealed also we are rapidly shifting from having a glut of strikers to being a bit on the short side in this department.

Three main strike-players plus a youngster is insufficient, IMO, to cope with a long, hard Championship season.

I like it when we had a glut and although it was unlikely to stay that way be had options and good cover for injuries.

We had already lost three (Lafferty, Grabban and RVW) with knocks during pre-season remember.

I feel that there might be a reasonable chance of a fairly big signing in this department now that Ricky has been shipped out, although I doubt it would stretch as far as equating to the Rhodes rumours.

The same can also be said of our central defence, whilst, should Fer go we will need a replacement in midfield.

Our buying intentions remain unfinished, it would seem and I''m not just referring to Adams''s remark about PL loanees, which can be just as expensive.

[quote user="cityforever"]You''re forgetting that Adams sees Redmond as a striker. He isn''t a striker, but Adams thinks he is.[/quote]
Based on what?
The five games in charge he had last season, where he had 3 available strikers, none with the speed he wanted up-front (and Redomnd only played upfront in 2 of them)?
Or 1 pre-season friendly where he had one fit senior striker and wanted to play 2 up front?
Also, hasn''t Redmond spent most of pre-season playing on the left of a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1? 
So, no, there isn''t any real evidence that Adams sees Redmond as a striker. 

he played in a ''forwards'' position at fulham away and on monday.

we look very fluent when attacking.whoever from surman bennett/pilks redmond hooper/grabban lafferty all seem to chop and change positions and cover each other. i would have no issue about playing redmond as a striker with lafferty, but think that it will be lafferty with 1 from hooper/grabban.

personally if we offload becchio i think we will see another striker coming in, probably on loan, with potentially loza leaving on a loan to recall basis.

Also brought him on against Chelsea when we needed to score to stay in the league and played him up top.

I''d have serious questions against Adams if he played Remond as a striker in that game when we needed a goal but doesn''t really see him as a striker.

[quote user="cityforever"]Also brought him on against Chelsea when we needed to score to stay in the league and played him up top.

I''d have serious questions against Adams if he played Remond as a striker in that game when we needed a goal but doesn''t really see him as a striker.[/quote]IK agree cityforever, if Redmond is used as a striker we are in big trouble.

[quote user="cityforever"]Also brought him on against Chelsea when we needed to score to stay in the league and played him up top.

I''d have serious questions against Adams if he played Remond as a striker in that game when we needed a goal but doesn''t really see him as a striker.[/quote]
Redmond was brought on to try and use his pace to get behind Chelseas defence (which was playing a high line at the time) and often drifted wide to try and attack the space between the centre-back and the full-backs. He didn''t actually operate as a striker as such, he was just the most advanced player. 

I dont think its beyond possibility that we will see  Grabban and Redmond as a front two in an away game some time this season.We will not dominate every game, especially away from home and Adams favours quick breaking counter attacking football.Having said that I do believe that we need four recognised "strikers" of differing types and that Loza and Morris are not ready for the Championship yet.

Right, a quick basic lesson in football tactics.You are a defender, the striker you are up against doesn''t have the pace to beat you and get behind you and isn''t winning many one on one''s to get past you with pace. You signal to your manager that you feel you could push your defense another five - ten yards up the pitch as a result and allow your midfield and attackers to push and harry further into the opponents half. He nods.The opposing manager now has a choice. He needs to look through the team and identify who is going to help counter that move. If the opposition defense is handling your pace they are effectively cutting out balls into the channel or any hopeful long balls over the top. Or any balls that are played in behind for the striker to have a flat out foot race for. If the pace isn''t there possession can do it. If you don''t have that, an immediate injection of pace into the side can make a defense retreat a bit and give the rest of your team a bit of a breather.I don''t see a problem with Redmond playing alongside a Lafferty or Grabban. A bit like Bellamy when he came through for us. It may not be his long term position but I can see it working in games where pace through the middle could do damage.Having players that are flexible in their roles is a great asset. And I seem to remember a lot of you moaning that he can''t cross - perhaps a central role would be a compromise?

We''re chasing this Swedish striker:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9403364/transfer-news-everton-bolton-norwich-and-sheffield-wednesday-eye-striker-modou-barrow

posted this afternoon that we need another striker if rvw leaves,

as talented as loza is I dont think he is yet ready; and going through the season with just three strikers (as we did in an 8 game shorter season last time) is simply inadequate, we need options for form injury and suspension losses.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Loza seems to have turned into a young Michael Owen after a loan at Southend.

Should be out on ooan again and not even near the 1st 11.[/quote]

Agree, can''t quite believe how much faith Adams has in him, yet to see anything to suggest he should be near the starting 11.