Sign in to follow this  
simmo_2

Why all the posts about R. Martin and centre back position

People amaze me on here, the posts read as though R. Martin has not played centre back before. We did witness him this position numerous times last season and all the games towards the end.

So why the surprise that he cant play in that position now and that is exactly why when he was made captain I said that''s us finishing mid table. The loyalty to R. Martin will cost Adams his job in the end.

I think that this is more about Neil Adams than Russell Martin.

Martin has supposedly expressed a preference for the centre back position and has done well there for Scotland. Most of us, it would seem, would prefer him as full-back though. However, NA seems fixed in his opinion that Martin should be at the centre of his defence, even at the expense of an arguably better performer in that position in Ryan Bennett and in contradiction to the views of the two more experienced managers who preceded him.

I find this worrying as already there is a hint that our manager can be inflexible with his opinions.

I feel that Saturday is the big test. If Adams makes changes, including in this position and to the diamond and from our lightweight midfield, I will be a happier supporter as it might just convince me that the man is not quite as tactically naïve as my growing suspicions suggest.

It is far too early to judge NA properly, and he is bound to get things wrong so early in this his virgin tenure, but if he proves inflexible on Saturday with these matters and we suffer a disappointing result, whereby his winless record is untroubled, then I foresee the beginnings of unrest amongst the support.

There was widespread criticism of the Wolves display, a repeat and all our worst fears concerning his appointment will be beginning to be realised.

Martin back to his rightful position will be a welcome start, IMO.