Sign in to follow this  
Canaries north

Are we a scalp or not.

I listened to canary call on my way home from the game and have also looked at all the message boards and news outlets. The things that I always hear is what a big scalp we will be. We deserve to be premier league. We belong in the premier league.

Our support is great but are we really any of these things. Do we honestly believe teams look at the fixtures and ring our name. Do teams up their game for us.

Very few teams in the championship have not played in the premier league so they have played Man U,Arsenal ect in the last 20 odd years. I have spoken to fans of 4 other teams in the championship and they don''t see us in the same way as we see ourselves. I believe we are in the league we belong to be in because that is the way results have made it.

Is it just me.

I would place us as a top of the bottom half of the Championship on average. over 20 years of watching the club we have always looked too poor in the Premier League, far too good in League One and just right in the Championship.With an inexperienced manager learning his trade at the helm as well I don''t really see us as one of the main challengers for promotion.Would expect us to be somewhere between 13th and 17th at end of the season personally.

Thank god for that. It''s not just me. I look at us a couple of places higher than you but very close. It might be that I don''t live in Norwich any more. I don''t know.

[quote user="Holtcantshoot"]I would place us as a top of the bottom half of the Championship on average. over 20 years of watching the club we have always looked too poor in the Premier League, far too good in League One and just right in the Championship.With an inexperienced manager learning his trade at the helm as well I don''t really see us as one of the main challengers for promotion.Would expect us to be somewhere between 13th and 17th at end of the season personally.[/quote]never finished above half way in the PL, did we ?

Most fans of other clubs know very little about us or our players. They associate us with Delia but certainly do not see us as a scalp.

There was an illuminating interview on radio Norfolk before the game when a Wolves fan was asked about us and when asked what players he feared he said he did not know any of them.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Holtcantshoot"]I would place us as a top of the bottom half of the Championship on average. over 20 years of watching the club we have always looked too poor in the Premier League, far too good in League One and just right in the Championship.With an inexperienced manager learning his trade at the helm as well I don''t really see us as one of the main challengers for promotion.Would expect us to be somewhere between 13th and 17th at end of the season personally.[/quote]never finished above half way in the PL, did we ?

[/quote]I see where you''re coming from but I would like to point out that the one time we finished top half of the Premier League Chris Eubank successfully retained the WBO Super-middleweight boxing title throughout that season.I would suggest that if you are still happy to accept Chris Eubank as a major scalp in the sport of boxing based on what he did 21 years ago then I will likewise agree that Norwich are a major footballing scalp as well.

oh dearit was not me that made reference to our pastI was merely pointing out your errorand maybe questioning why you choose to avoid the previous seasons in the top flighthmmmm

though your belief that we will finish in the bottom half of the Championship maybe tells us all we need to know

I really did not want an argument just a general opinion of what others thought. I don''t see us as a big scalp in this league yet as the season is so young. If we are well clear at Christmas then that could change. My point is I hate the press and some fans thinking other clubs come here thinking it would be more special picking up 3 points against us than anyone else. The season is one game in and at the moment it''s only 3 points between bottom and top. We are not a big fish in a small pond just another fish.

The answer is that it is all relative.One of the worsed fixtures to have got on the opening day is against a team who have just been promoted, who have the momentum of continued success from last season still fresh in their minds, and the determination to hit this league running. As if they needed more motivation they were at home against a side that were playing premier league football last season. They had nothing to lose, go out and win and they put an early statement out there to other teams, lose and do so without getting tonked and they''d shrug their shoulders and say ''harsh opening day fixture, they may well end up bouncing straight back up'' draw is acceptable on the opening day.I have said before that the biggest task for any manager at a club that has just been relegated is to turn that mentality around. In the premier league, most teams accept that they will win less than they lose. It''s a fact of life at that level. At this level, you need to be winning more and being more consistent about it.Lets see how they bounce back. We''ll have an enforced change with Olsson out. Garrido is the obvious replacement but whether that will mean a formation change as well, we''ll have to see. He hasn''t got the pace of Olsson and so may need a little more protection.

[quote user="Felixfan"]Most fans of other clubs know very little about us or our players. They associate us with Delia but certainly do not see us as a scalp.

There was an illuminating interview on radio Norfolk before the game when a Wolves fan was asked about us and when asked what players he feared he said he did not know any of them.[/quote]

To be fair, coming from Wolves, he probably hadn''t heard of the big hot orange ball in the sky, merry quips, the countryside, or fashion, either. So let''s not take that viewpoint too seriously

Oorlrooight?

With ''Premier League'' having been attached to us for the last 3 seasons, then yes, we are a scalp, just look how the binners are getting excited about beating a much changed Fulham on Saturday

The idea of any other team''s fans, with the exception of Ipswich''s licking their lips at the prospect of putting one over a ''big'' club like Norwich City, and the players raising their game to do that is, frankly , risible and so far wide of the mark it''s not true.Do these people on Canary Call seriously think that fans of other Championship clubs were furiously scrabbling down the fixture list when it was released on Jun 18th to find out when they were playing Norwich (or Fulham/Cardiff for that matter) ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]The idea of any other team''s fans, with the exception of Ipswich''s licking their lips at the prospect of putting one over a ''big'' club like Norwich City, and the players raising their game to do that is, frankly , risible and so far wide of the mark it''s not true.Do these people on Canary Call seriously think that fans of other Championship clubs were furiously scrabbling down the fixture list when it was released on Jun 18th to find out when they were playing Norwich (or Fulham/Cardiff for that matter) ?[/quote]Quite. Apart from us (for obvious reasons) I don''t think anyone will be viewing you as the Man Utd of the division. Why would you want it that way anyway? Teams would raise their game every week in that case?

Why on earth would we be a scalp? If anyone actually thinks that they need to pull their head out of their a*se

I live in Cornwall, rugby is king down here, and have asked genuine footballing people their opinion of Norwich.

Now of course they don''t see too much of us and had probably gone to bed when we were on MOTD. But based on their overall football knowledge, most didn''t really see us as any of the cliches of "big club", "sleeping giant" etc.

That doesn''t mean anything but is just a perception of how others see us.To be honest, you hear as much about "that goal that pouffe Fashanu scored against Liverpool" as you do about going through the divisions in successive years.

None of this means anything of course, Its opinion only, just as most of the stuff posted on here is.

But maybe it puts into perspective the situation at the club right at this moment.

Many supporters believing we should be in the Prem and looking to join the elite.

Conversely the argument that we punch above our weight sometimes and make it to the Prem albeit for short spells.

Whichever suits your own argument, it cannot be denied that this club provides some great excitement at times and brings us to the depths of despair at other times.

But drawing a line through the peaks and troughs is easy and to say we are Championship or Premiership doesn''t really matter does it.

Just like every other "genuine" supporter of any other club, you have to accept what is handed out because apart from paying your money and singing your heart out, there is nothing you can do to change it.

And considering the amount of season ticket holders and the amount of people who travel to away games, there seems to be an ever increasing number of people who are happy with what is happening at CR whether Prem or Championship.

Personally, I don''t like the Prem and believe the is just as exciting if not as skillful football played in the lower leagues.

Her we go again. On my football writer.

We are the scalp this year; teams will want and hope to beat us. They will rise up when they meet us and we have to compete.

The sooner people get this out of their heads the better for me. Thinking you are bigger than you actually are is counter productive. I accept the point wolves are still on a high from promotion as we were a few years ago but the result had nothing to so with them raising their game for a big club like Norwich.

Sorry chicken. That came across as I was disagreeing with you when the opposite is true. Should have been and not but. I think you have hit the nail on the head with regards to the opening day. Let''s just hope Watford don''t see us as a big scalp and raise their game.