Sign in to follow this  
CDMullins

Players out of position.....

Martin at centre half?BJ who cant pass a ball for toffee at the base dictation and distributing?Elliott Bennett on the right hand side of the diamond?Redmond up top?Our main strength is the quality of wingers we have, yet we play with no wingers?

I agree completely about playing wingers on the wings and I was really looking forward to seeing Redmond on the left, Bennett on the right with Lafferty and Grabban up front; hoolahan just behind the two strikers with tettey in front of the back four.

Bradley Johnson carried on where he left off last season just watching the ball and not picking up the runners; all I can say is he must be really good on the training ground.

I would like to see Martin at right back with Turner and R Bennett as central defenders with Garrido at left back.

This was only the first game, but we certainly did not hit the ground running and send a warning to the rest of the league. Hopefully the manager will use those wingers with pace to frighten defenders and give them something to think about against Watford. He wouldn''t go far wrong either with starting with Lafferty as he looked the best player on the pitch when he came on.

Completely agree! So frustrating!

We need to play to our strengths, a typical case of how the players should adapt to the formation, not adapt the formation to the strength of the players.

Johnson needs to be challenged, Tettey is better in my opinion. Cannot wait for Howson to come back.

Redmond should not be up top, its a nice idea, but it won''t work. Grabban and Lafferty has to be first choice, until Hooper is back. Then I would play him over Grabban. Bennett and Redmond need to be pushed wide. With Hoolahan droping behind in that number 10 role, floating and doing what he does best.

Russell Martin should be RB, Whittaker is a liability. Garrido is not good enough, but will have to do whilst Olsson gets a ban.

Josh Murphy should be pushing Redmond for a start. Pilkington should be there or there abouts, he adds diversity.

Bassong, I think he has to start. Despite whatever he has done, he is too good a player to leave out.

Can''t see how it would be possible to play two wingers and Hoolahan, leaving just one central defensive minded midfielder. Far too open!

It''s wingers or Hoolahan, unless you''re playing one up top.

Also, the narrow nature of a diamond means fullbacks need to move forward. Gives some reasoning as to why Whittaker is played, but he is pretty unreliable defensively.

The holding player ideally needs to be able to pass well and tackle / contribute to defensive duties (almost acting as an extra centreback if exposed by wingers moving forward). O''Neil could be that player. Don''t know enough about him to judge.