Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

What size squad were you expecting this season?

The wailing about three players having left and a couple more likely to follow is deafening. Did people seriously believe we would just add to the squad that was relegated? If so then a wake up call is needed. Take a look at the business done by other relegated clubs : -

http://www1.skysports.com/football/fulham-transfers

http://www1.skysports.com/football/cardiffcity-transfers

http://www1.skysports.com/football/norwich-city-transfers

The attacks on the board and manager today are totally out of line and uncalled for. There will be changes in personnel, of course there will. There''s nothing the club can do about that. I''m going to wait until the window closes and any loans are brought in before I judge. But I can tell you now that I wouldn''t swap our business so far with Cardiff or Fulhams''''s.

Nutty I think the issues many are having is if Pilks, Reds and Fer all go (and many still assuming Becchio and Bassong don''t have a place). Whilst I think the three signings we''ve made are pretty good, if all the first three I mentioned leave, plus Snoddy who''s already gone thats 3 first choice players plus Pilks who was pretty much first choice when fit.

Cardiff and Fulham have only lost a couple first team players really, Fulham maybe a couple more but that includes released players so they chose to do that. And brought in some decent signings themselves. You can''t really compare transfer dealings, Cardiff are just crazy under Tan making so many moves every window. And Fulham seemingly undergoing a huge transition. We''ve been trying to avoid that but its still all up in the air, and despite me not being a great believer in what the club/manager/etc says when they say a player isn''t for sale, we haven''t really had much of that.

And the rumours are drying up a bit, can''t remember the last defender that was linked to us. If Pilks and Reds go we need to sign at least one seriously good winger. Fer going we can probably cope with. And i''d almost forgotten about Tettey, he''s still possibly on his way out.

We''ve got a couple weeks of PL clubs getting more desperate, and yes we don''t need to sell but that doesn''t really matter when a PL club comes knocking. And it''ll be a lot harder for us to replace these players with equals. Its quite hard to have much faith in the current system after that last one, i''m still feeling positive about this season but if we do somehow manage to lose 4/5 players do we have the ability to recruit the right replacements?

The attacks on the club this week are far worse than just concerns about what could happen buddy. I''d be a LOT happier to see some players leave than to go with the squad we were relegated with. I don''t understand the tirades about Pilks leaving. When did he last have a good game for us? How much will he be missed? This is not to say I don''t rate him as a player but I don''t think he''s made himself important to us since the day he joined. Of course that could be all because of Delia/McNally/Hughton/Adams and without that millstone he may blossom into a consistent performer for Cardiff..

We will lose more players. I am convinced of it. I just hope that when the window shuts and any loans are brought in that we have a squad good enough to challenge for promotion and who want to be here to challenge for promotion. Having been in a relegation squad is hardly an endorsement for a successful Championship squad. Surely the last 10 years at the club have taught us that.