Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

I have been really determined to give Adams a chance and

I do think he has the potential to be a very good manager but as every day goes by and our club lurches from one shambles or rumoured player departure to another I just can;t help but feel like we needed a really strong, experienced manager to come in and galvanise us following our experience last season. Someone who is a new face for the players to give us a genuine clean slate and perhaps most importantly someone to stand up to Mcnally in the way i''m sure Lambert used to do.

I really hope this is just me being knee-jerk in response to Sundays game and my disappointment over the Pilkington sale and that a good win on Saturday snaps me out of it but at the moment it just feels that without a strong presence in the dressing room things are going to get worse.

So you are attacking the club over rumours of players leaving?

Despite only one having left the club permantley who was in his last year of his contact and we got top dollar for him.

Lambert used to stand up to McNally???? Like he does Lerner it seems.......

Shaping up nicely to be a cracking season, get rid of Pilks, Redmond and Fer and we look like we''ll be right up $hit creek unless we manage to sign some absolute Premier League mega stars on loan.

[quote user="Buh"]You''ve been really determined to give Adams 1 game haha[/quote]

I''m not blaming Adams and I will continue to back him ad hope he proves the doubters wrong. Just saying that the events of pre-season and the last week are bringing the doubts (that i think most of us had about his appointment at this crucial time from the outset) firmly to the surface.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Buh"]You''ve been really determined to give Adams 1 game haha[/quote]

I''m not blaming Adams and I will continue to back him ad hope he proves the doubters wrong. Just saying that the events of pre-season and the last week are bringing the doubts (that i think most of us had about his appointment at this crucial time from the outset) firmly to the surface.[/quote]Well, we''ll have to see what transpires before the end of August , Jim.I too have my doubts about NA, but you cannot blame him for wanting to clear out some of the dead wood....and Pilkington falls firmly into that category imho.If for whatever reason he was to have to hold on to some of these people, then unable to sign new players as a result, then he''d have the ready made excuse that ''he wasn''t able to work with his own choice of squad'', wouldn''t he ?  I''m hoping against hope that he has some irons in the fire, and, over the next couple of weeks we''ll be signing at least 2 quality defenders, an influential midfielder and another potent striker. If a few departures oil the wheels of that happening, then bring it on, I say.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I do think he has the potential to be a very good manager but as every day goes by and our club lurches from one shambles or rumoured player departure to another I just can;t help but feel like we needed a really strong, experienced manager to come in and galvanise us following our experience last season. Someone who is a new face for the players to give us a genuine clean slate and perhaps most importantly someone to stand up to Mcnally in the way i''m sure Lambert used to do.

I really hope this is just me being knee-jerk in response to Sundays game and my disappointment over the Pilkington sale and that a good win on Saturday snaps me out of it but at the moment it just feels that without a strong presence in the dressing room things are going to get worse.[/quote]Jim, so far  we have sold one player (Snodgrass) we probably would have liked to have kept, one (Pilkington, assuming...) we were probably agnostic abouit, and one (van Wolfswinkel) we wanted to get shot of. Coming in have been three players (Lafferty, Grabban and O''Neil) all of whom look good for the Championship. As for rumours, I assume Fer will go, but he may be the only one. And I doubt we have finished with signings, either permanent transfers or loan deals.

[quote user="Buh"]You''ve been really determined to give Adams 1 game haha[/quote]

+1

It amazes me how fickle people are.

Its not championship manager you don''t just buy players and they perform at their peak the day after signing.

Players are human and some of them do not want to be at the club = they are not committed/buying in 100%.

I expect a tough first few games up to the window and then things to pick up from there.

The good news is this is the championship, at any stage (aside from a total meltdown) we can shoot up on a good roll.

I give it 10 games to shake out the people who do not want to be here and make progress.

This is to be expected.

If he doesn''t address the glaring weaknesses in defence and midfield this season will be a write off. You have to give him a chance but I thought we''d have at least 2 new defenders by wolves.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]I think Adams is somewhat of a puppet in all transfer dealings. Things can only start to look up, the past year to date has been pretty depressing[/quote]

I do not think any employee would take a wage cut and then turn down a double money move back to the big time.

The relegation wage clauses protect the finances of the club but keeping players subjected to that cut is not easy I would think.

It has become clear if the price it right they are off.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

At least you''ll know when you first wanted Adams out Jim!

When did the doubts first set in though?[;)]

[/quote]Oh no. Nige, you''ve just fired the starting pistol for yet another season of internicine strife on this board between ''inners'' and ''outers''

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I haven''t said I want him out Nutty i''m just saying how i feel and just that i don;t like the general feel of how things are going at the moment. Can''t help but feel (as i think most of us did at the time he was appointed) that we might have been better served appointing someone with a bit more experience/clout and who could have come in with a completely clean slate.

I have had doubts from the outset. i think 99% of us had doubts and I suspect 99% of us deep down still do. Seeing players like Pilkington ignored and then sold on the cheap to a rival does nothing to ease those doubts. I sincerely hope that we are supremely confident of keeping Redmond if we are prepared to allow a player of Pilks calibre to walk out the door.

I do think Grabban, Lafferty and O''Neill are good signings though.

I think this is where the Joe Royle role would have helped NA , someone to sort out transfer targets etc and let Neil get on with the coaching.

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I haven''t said I want him out Nutty i''m just saying how i feel and just that i don;t like the general feel of how things are going at the moment. Can''t help but feel (as i think most of us did at the time he was appointed) that we might have been better served appointing someone with a bit more experience/clout and who could have come in with a completely clean slate.

I have had doubts from the outset. i think 99% of us had doubts and I suspect 99% of us deep down still do. Seeing players like Pilkington ignored and then sold on the cheap to a rival does nothing to ease those doubts. I sincerely hope that we are supremely confident of keeping Redmond if we are prepared to allow a player of Pilks calibre to walk out the door.

I do think Grabban, Lafferty and O''Neill are good signings though.[/quote]

You don''t want him out Jim. However you just spent the rest of the post explaining how you don''t want him in.[;)]

Does anyone seriously think that it''s Adams who wants to sell players? Does anyone think it''s Adams who''s keeping a tight rein on the purse strings?

How can anyone criticise Adams so early in the season? After one game? Away from home. Playing with 10 men.

Adams is a symptom, not the cause. To say he''s got his work cut out is an understatement.

I don''t see these comments as knee jerk reaction after one game, more a case of utter amazement at just about every board decision in 2014.

All supporters were gutted by the relegation but with the close season to put it behind us, we could by now be facing the new challenge with enthusiasm and a high degree of optimism. But every decision that comes from Carrow Road is gradually conditioning the supporters not to expect too much. Even media pundits have downgraded us from "firm favourites to return" to "play-off possibles."

Whether it was decisions around Hughton, the temporary and permanent appointment of Adams, the Royle debacle or the Technical Director, they have let us down at every turn.

That may well be the case danielsroundabout but they are board decisions and nothing to do with Adams himself. Seems to me that a lot of ''fans'' had made their mind up about him before a ball was kicked. I have a feeling there will be quite a few unhappy posters missing on here saturday night if we win. I didnt want him to get the job but now he has it surly he deserves the full support of the fanbase?

[quote user="JF"]That may well be the case danielsroundabout but they are board decisions and nothing to do with Adams himself. Seems to me that a lot of ''fans'' had made their mind up about him before a ball was kicked. I have a feeling there will be quite a few unhappy posters missing on here saturday night if we win. I didnt want him to get the job but now he has it surly he deserves the full support of the fanbase?[/quote]

Sure JF, I agree with all that you say. I am just so disappointed at the way enthusiasm has disappeared from me and most of the friends who follow the team, when we should be both excited and expectant by the season ahead.

Fortunes can change quickly in football. It''s not beyond the realms of possibility that we could go and take 9 points from the next 3 games. Think a few people need to take a step back and get some perspective.

[quote user="JF"]That may well be the case danielsroundabout but they are board decisions and nothing to do with Adams himself. Seems to me that a lot of ''fans'' had made their mind up about him before a ball was kicked. I have a feeling there will be quite a few unhappy posters missing on here saturday night if we win. I didnt want him to get the job but now he has it surly he deserves the full support of the fanbase?[/quote]

I agree its not Adams fault (although i dont like the way certain players have been sidelined despite claims of a clean slate for all) and its down to the board. Perhaps the title of my post has confused things somewhat. Adams has my support and i wont be calling for his head anybtime soon. I hold the board entirely responsible for whatever may or may not happen. I am merely saying how day by day at the moment I am becoming more and more dubious that its going to work out as we hoped , angry that the board have taken a big gamble and also a little worried about whether many of our players feel similarly. It may work out, I really hope it does but at the moment I am concerned.

I think it''s a bit worrying that it looked like Hughton could have been incharge against Wolves. There was nothing to suggest the stagnation of last season had been shaken off. It was all the same. It was that same kind of lethargic performance with little in the way of decent build up going forward.

We''ve had a pretty settled summer (so far) on the transfer front. No massive upheaval. So that shouldn''t be a problem...

...unless of course we''ve shown too much faith and kindness in players where actually we actually need to shake it up a bit.

We''ve been given the impression that Colney is a happy place to be but that''s clearly going to happen because a lot of players know they''re never going to get a better deal (financially or football wise) than what Norwich are offering them. They''re going to say they love playing for Adams because they want in the team and they want nice new contracts from Norwich.

Still early days. A couple of wins in the very near future and everything will look a bit rosier - but it does need to be in the very near future.