Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Pace and Getting Back to Basics

One thing I really hope to see from the team under Adams (that we didn''t get against Wolves) is players being given the freedom to play as his youth cup team always did. Under Hughton our team look restricted as if his tactics were stopping them from playing our natural game.

For once we have squad with some real pace in areas (Redmond, Murphy, Grabben, Bennett and Olsson are all quick) so we need to exploit this. Against Wolves we played two forwards with no real physical presence but some pace but never really tried to get them in behind the defence or into the channels, preferring to try and play a slow, patient passing game that didn''t really suit the forwards and seemed entirely designed to get something out of Wes.

I think Lafferty needs to start Saturday even if we stick with the diamond and we need to get a bit more ''basic.'' Under Lambert we played this formation but we were never afraid to be direct (not hoofball but getting it forward quickly so Holt could bring others in to play). I''d be tempted to start Lafferty and Grabben with Redmond in behind with remit to drift out to either flank and using Lafferty''s aerial ability to bring others into the game. The only question for me would be who starts on the right of the diamond as I don''t think it really suits Bennett.

Good shout- tbh I''d forgotten he existed. I''d also be tempted to maybe try Bennett at RB as attacking, overlapping fullbacks would help. Ideally I''d line the team up like this...

Ruddy

E. Bennett/Martin, Turner, R Bennentt, Olsson

Tettey

O''Neill, Fer

Redmond,

Lafferty, Grabben.

I like the idea, but I think the midfield would still be too narrow.  I still favour a 4-2-3-1 which I will try to explain:

Ruddy Martin          Turner   Bennett      Garrido                       Johnson   Tettey      Bennett         Redmond        Grabban                             Lafferty

May be unfair on Grabban to play inside-left, so could swap with Redmond if need be.No real quality passer in this midfield though, so distribution would be a worry.  Am assuming Fer is leaving hence not in the squad.

I get the impression Adams had earmarked Howson to play there as he said he''s an important player for us. I don''t think he''s naturally a right sided player, altho it''s not exactly on the wing (remember Hull last year) in a diamond. Good engine tho, which young Korey Smith had when he played there and excelled!

O''Neil might be asked to play at the base of the diamond due to his accurate passing and defensive capabilities.

@Borx3 (won''t use the quote function as the whole thing goes crazy).

I like the 4-2-3-1 but for me I''d want to drop E Bennett from your team and play Redmond on the right, Grabban off Lafferty and Murphy on the left- pure pace on each flank ad the ability to get crosses in without needing to cut back with would be good for Lafferty and also Grabban arriving late. If Fer leaves I''d be tempted to drop Johnson for O''Neill and when the squad is fully fit I''d like to see Howson and Tetty as the midfield 2. Of course you could always play that as a more simple 4-4-2 by playing Grabban and Lafferty as a proper strike pair.

@Norfolkngood

That could work although I think you need a real ball playing CB to make the back three work as they need to step out a bit when we have possession. The reason that formation struggled when Lambert played it (IMO) was that the back three all sat deep while the opposition left one striker up meaning we were heavily outnumbered in the attacking third.

[quote user="king canary"]Good shout- tbh I''d forgotten he existed. I''d also be tempted to maybe try Bennett at RB as attacking, overlapping fullbacks would help. Ideally I''d line the team up like this...

Ruddy

E. Bennett/Martin, Turner, R Bennentt, Olsson

Tettey

O''Neill, Fer

Redmond,

Lafferty, Grabben.[/quote]

Olsson is suspended.

We need to play Redmond on the wing, as I feel he uses his pace better down the flanks and can get in behind the opposing defence. The main thing he lacks is a decent cross, if he can make major improvements in this area then he should create loads of chances.

if Redmond just did the simple thing beat his player then cross he would get end results its the strikers job to get there in position back to ruel fox days i believe if that''s is all he did all game we would benefit as the number of crosses he should put in would increase then the success rate should be higher if not he is not a winger !

Need Wes in that 4-2-3-1 otherwise we won;t keep the ball well enough. I would go with:

Ruddy

Martin Bennett Turner Garrido

Fer Tettey

Grabban Hoolahan Redmond

Lafferty

It seems that Redmond has been over coached!

Let him do the simple things well before trying to change his game too much. Leave him on the right wing with the instruction "Beat your man, hit the line, get your cross in".

When he can do that well see if he can be used in other ways.