Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Alan Brazil: Is there a bigger tosspot in football "journalism"?

Terribly blind/stupid comment.

The stigma surrounding mental health/suicide needs to be stopped, "famous" people spouting out cr@p like this won''t help!

Perhaps if depression hits him one day he''ll understand!

[quote user="STAN"]Terribly blind/stupid comment.

The stigma surrounding mental health/suicide needs to be stopped, "famous" people spouting out cr@p like this won''t help!

Perhaps if depression hits him one day he''ll understand![/quote]
I totally get that mental health illness and all that.  I just think that AB was trying to say that,  his family he leaves behind will be affected for the rest of their lives over it.

Yes, and they''d be affected for the rest of their lives if he died of cancer too. Or in a car accident.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Even by binner standards, and TalkSport standards, this is the sound of a barrel being scraped...http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/12/robin-williams-dead-alan-brazil-talksport-comments_n_5670941.html[/quote]

Why did you make light of the last act of a man, who saw no other release from his pain than to take his life knowing he would desperately hurt those he left behind, on a different thread then?

[quote user="splutcho"]Yes, and they''d be affected for the rest of their lives if he died of cancer too. Or in a car accident.[/quote]
He didn''t though.  I''m not defending AB or want an argument over taking your own life.  I''m just saying I understand what he''s saying rather than just calling him a tosspot for saying it and being an ex binner.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Even by binner standards, and TalkSport standards, this is the sound of a barrel being scraped...http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/12/robin-williams-dead-alan-brazil-talksport-comments_n_5670941.html[/quote]barrel being the operative word in his casewhat is sickening in these cases (as with the BNP etc) is they try to hide behind some boll ox of ''they are entitled to their opinion'' - whereas no one has seriously challenged that rightwhat they are doing, is questioning the validity of that opinion, which in this case is totally flawed, and needs little further comment as to why he is wrong in so many ways sadly this right of opinion will continue to throw up stuff like this as witness the grotesque stuff on this forum recently about ''slitty eyes'' - and in reference to the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagaski   "I''m immune to the old death

quota, sob story lark too"
how much obscenities like Talksh ite and the Daily Mail play in forming and promoting these ideas is a moot point, what is not is the joy and delight such folk as Robin Williams brought, whether it was in his stand up routine  about Ronnie Reagan or as in Good Morning Vietnam .......  where amongst many thinks his character showed that folk aren''t that much different, irrespective of the colour of the skin or the shape of their eyesand that in certain circumstances folk wil take or give their live for what they think is right at the timemaybe we should try and understand the causes behind those thoughts first,  instead of belching out the ridiculous old guff Brazil has done

What an absolute effing Pratt! First time I have ever agreed with Stan Collymore though! Brazil should be fired for this!

[quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Even by binner standards, and TalkSport standards, this is the sound of a barrel being scraped...http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/12/robin-williams-dead-alan-brazil-talksport-comments_n_5670941.html[/quote]

Why did you make light of the last act of a man, who saw no other release from his pain than to take his life knowing he would desperately hurt those he left behind, on a different thread then?[/quote]Show me where I did that, please.

[quote user="William Darby"][quote user="splutcho"]Yes, and they''d be affected for the rest of their lives if he died of cancer too. Or in a car accident.[/quote]
He didn''t though.  I''m not defending AB or want an argument over taking your own life.  I''m just saying I understand what he''s saying rather than just calling him a tosspot for saying it and being an ex binner.
[/quote]I think it''s more about having the self-awareness as a presenter on a national radio station to realise that his statement could cause offense and perhaps keep his more extreme/negative views on the recently deceased private. No need to be saying that sort of thing on the airwaves.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Even by binner standards, and TalkSport standards, this is the sound of a barrel being scraped...http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/12/robin-williams-dead-alan-brazil-talksport-comments_n_5670941.html[/quote]

Why did you make light of the last act of a man, who saw no other release from his pain than to take his life knowing he would desperately hurt those he left behind, on a different thread then?[/quote]Show me where I did that, please.

[/quote]

On the SAD NEWS post you joked about it being Robbie Williams.

I don''t see the difference between the two. Both comments, yours and Brazils, are insensitive.

Suicide is a tragedy that has touched many families and not fit for humour on this forum.

I don''t get why Brazil would have been a lot more shocked if it had been Robbie Williams that had committed suicide.

Was it because he is British? Was it because of his age?

If Robbie Williams commits suicide, anytime in the next 50 years, what difference is there? He is also known to have demons with drink and drugs, although they aren''t the exclusive reasons why people take their own life, of course.

On a semi related subject, can anyone else remember a poster on the official NCFC forum , who touched on his personal battles with depression, but this happened at the end of the Forum, when it was then taken down?

Does anyone know who he is? Do you post on here? Would you (they) want to share their thoughts on this subject, and would it help?

[quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Even by binner standards, and TalkSport standards, this is the sound of a barrel being scraped...http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/12/robin-williams-dead-alan-brazil-talksport-comments_n_5670941.html[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t see the difference between the two. Both comments, yours and Brazils, are insensitive.

Suicide is a tragedy that has touched many families and not fit for humour on this forum.[/quote]Right, so....Comment #1: Suicide is shameful, disgraceful, no sympathy for him etc etc.Comment #2: "I''m doubly gutted, as I heard it was Robbie Williams"The two comments are wholly different, and shame on you for suggesting otherwise.If you are genuinely unable to see the difference between the two comments, then there are evening classes in basic comprehension which you may find useful both now and in your future life.

I think that City 1st says it all for me. It''s nice to see an outbreak of reasoned comments on here!

Re Brazil, his insightless arrogance on every subject repulses me but when it comes to mental health it is worse due to the vulnerable nature of the sufferers and their loved ones. What a twunt.

Had a quick look on TWTD for their thoughts and discovered they too are disgusted with Brazil and label him an massive embarrasment.

The concept of everybody being entitled to their own opinion is in fact entirely false in our country. You can''t just go around saying what you want, ultimately it becomes illegal.

For example, in the US you can indeed say pretty much anything, some of you will have seen the truly disgusting antics if the Westborough Baptist Church, picketing the funerals of serviceman killed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

We don''t, the likes of Abu Hamza, even banning the Phelps family from the afore mentioned church from entering the country, we have and implement the laws of Hate Speech.

Granted Alan Brazil doesn''t quite qualify but that''s not the point, the way in which he qualifies his belief speaks volumes, he''s an ill informed, bloated oaf with a microphone.

Of course his comments are disgraceful and so entirely ignorant, Robin Williams was obviously a very ill man. He doesn''t choose this, how could he, it''s an illness and one that had hold of him to a point where he just couldn''t go on and it''s bloody tragic.

Apologies in advance here, I don''t know Brazil''s background but I wonder if he was raised a Catholic? If so it might go a little way to explaining these archaic beliefs, a mortal sin and all of that.

Lost count of the amount of times I''ve heard this idiot drunk on air. The man is a disgrace and seems to have a problem with the booze himself.

You''d hope Alan never finds himself in a position where he wants to end it all.

I don''t claim to know the ins and outs of depression. I''ve never suffered with it. However, I (and many others) have my head screwed on enough to know that comments like Brazil''s are just wrong and so out of touch with the problem many face.

When Gary Speed ended it all did Brazil lack sympathy then? Probably not because Speed was a footballer.

“I believe he’s got a daughter as well, what’s she feeling like this morning?” Alan stated. “Now she’s got to sort the arrangements out. I think it’s shocking, I really do.

“I don’t have a lot of sympathy, I’m sorry.”

I would look closer to home if I were you Alan.

You were (presumably) a well paid fit (not in the looks department) footballer at one point. So how are your family gonna feel when they come home one day to find you on the floor clutching your chest - that is if your hands can reach that far. How selfish of you to go from a fit man to pouring as much alcohol and food into that elephant sized mouth of yours - the damage it has done to your brain is already evident. How selfish of you not to think of your family or the medical services who will have to pick up the pieces - as that is probably what they will have to cut you into before they can get you out of the house.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Even by binner standards, and TalkSport standards, this is the sound of a barrel being scraped...http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/12/robin-williams-dead-alan-brazil-talksport-comments_n_5670941.html[/quote]

[/quote]

Suicide is a tragedy that has touched many families and not fit for humour on this forum.[/quote]Right, so....Comment #1: Suicide is shameful, disgraceful, no sympathy for him etc etc.Comment #2: "I''m doubly gutted, as I heard it was Robbie Williams"The two comments are wholly different, and shame on you for suggesting otherwise.If you are genuinely unable to see the difference between the two comments, then there are evening classes in basic comprehension which you may find useful both now and in your future life.

[/quote]

So rudeness is now a part of your stuttering Bor-bor-bor-ing posts is it? Take the mick when you feel like it but act indignant with an ex binner. Shallow indeed.

I was warned about transferring my allegiance to this site from others and I should have listened to them.

Crabbycanary, I believe the poster you are talking about still posts on WOTB. I won''t speak for him on how he''s doing.

Brazil''s comments are simply down to ignorance and lack of intelligence. I hope for his sake that neither he or any of his loved ones ever have to face this disease. He''d do well to remember the phrase "never jugs a man until you''ve walked a mile in his shoes".

AB is a doorknob, and I haven''t heard him say those words, so I can only guess at his intonation and implied meaning, but I can see that , just maybe, he was thinking it through and reflecting on how awful this is for Williams'' family.

Suicide can be seen as a selfish course of action, because the person committing suicide has not thought about the impact on their family - or they have thought about it and done it anyway.

I realise that the person committing suicide may be thinking "OH, they''ll be better off without me.", but I would think that they are rarely better off.

I can remember a time when I felt very low and I opened a cupboard and saw one of my guns. I had barely begun to contemplate using the gun on myself as an option when my Mum drove by in her car, and I saw the implications of my possible suicide.

Suicide does seem to be on the increase and the favoured method at the moment is stepping in front of a train. My sympathy lies with the poor train drivers - it must give them nightmares.

Should the suicide of a successful actor be such headline news? In a tabloid newspaper perhaps, but on the BBC and ITV?

Ditto with Oscar Prat-torius - I am sorry for his girlfriend''s family (and for her too), but I want to know what is happening in Ukraine and Iraq and not in a South African courtroom.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Crabbycanary, I believe the poster you are talking about still posts on WOTB. I won''t speak for him on how he''s doing.

Brazil''s comments are simply down to ignorance and lack of intelligence. I hope for his sake that neither he or any of his loved ones ever have to face this disease. He''d do well to remember the phrase "never jugs a man until you''ve walked a mile in his shoes".[/quote]qualities well suited for Talkshytemaybe that''s why he was recruited

strangely the ever hungry (and thirsty so it would seem) Mr Brazil has not commented upon the selfishness of drink driving or the impact it could have on othershttp://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/polopoly_fs/1.146375.1267788031!/image/4106029014.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/4106029014.jpg