Sign in to follow this  
Tony Cottee Woz Ere . . .

Pilkington 'down the pecking order'

The fact we have a manager who believes Nathan Redmond, and in particular Elliot Bennett and Andrew Surman are better players than Anthony Pilkington is seriously worrying. When fit he is the best winger at the club by a mile, for me a better player than Snodgrass even. We have just as good as sold, an international winger with a 1 in 4 goal ratio at premier league and championship level to what should be one of our biggest league rivals for a whopping 2 million pounds! Another in a long line of ludicrous decisions in recent times at NCFC. I''m sure the usual suspects will try and defend this move, using words such as ''ego'' and ''disruptive influence'' without any evidence or knowledge to back this up whatsoever. The fact is fitness issues and unfounded accusations of an attitude problem aside, this is truly a rank bad decision from both a football and business point of view. A couple of months ago i had the faintest hope our starting line up this season would consist of a rejuvenated Pilkington, RVW, Hooper, players who when fit, confident and played correctly would absolutely tear this league apart. But it seems Adams is determined to cut his nose off to spite his face. I understand a new manager wanting to make a statement but pushing your best players out of the door and replacing them with inferior quality seems an insane way to do it. Still this is what happens when once again the board go for the small time option and employ someone who for all the world simply seems a puppet. When Adams took job and his first act was to promise us all goals and attacking football it was obvious this was simply a cringeworthy, transparent attempt at mending public relations after last seasons warranted criticisms. We need a manager, not a boardroom spokesman trying to placate the fans. This season has got disaster written all over it, but i guess that''s something a lot of people have come to expect and accept under Delia''s reign.

redmond is better than pilkingtonas a right wingerpilkington was the only player that even half resembled a left winger at the club

Explain how Redmond is better than Pilkington. He''s got pace, and he can do fancy step overs, and..... I suggest you look at Pilkington''s premier league and championship record compared with Redmond''s and come back to me. And please don''t use the fact Redmond plays for the England U21''s as any sort of measuring stick. The amount of players who have played for the U21''s and gone on to achieve next to nothing in their career is vast.

Didn''t Pilkington come straight from Huddersfield when they were in league 1? Not sure he''s played in the Championship

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2014/08/14/a-pilks-departure-has-been-inevitable-for-some-time-with-solskjaers-cardiff-taking-the-gamble/#ncfc

If it''s true he wanted out a season ago it''s hard to blame him taking into account his treatment at the hands of Hughton. It''s up to the new manager to convince our best want away players to stay, perhaps he wasn''t capable, perhaps Pilkington didn''t buy into Adams vision or capabilities as a manager. Had we appointed a proper manager, respected in the game, who appreciated what Pilkington has to offer would he still have wanted out? As for all transfer money going straight into Adams pocket, not buying it for a second.

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2014/08/14/a-pilks-departure-has-been-inevitable-for-some-time-with-solskjaers-cardiff-taking-the-gamble/#ncfc

This guy has been primed by Joe Ferrari or McNally or someone at the club, talk about trotting out the party line, poor journalism

How can you say it''s "hard to blame him"? These guys sign big money contracts with a large signing on fee, and they know exactly how football works.

We''re talking a few years here to honour, not a lifetime.

It''s not about whether Adams thinks Redmond or Surman is "better" than Pilkington. It is more about:

1. Does Pilks want to play for NCFC?

2. Even if yes, is he fit enough to make a contribution?

3. Are his wages higher than his potential contribution?

If yes to 3, or no to 1 and 2, moving him on is the right decision.

[quote user="militantcanary"]http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2014/08/14/a-pilks-departure-has-been-inevitable-for-some-time-with-solskjaers-cardiff-taking-the-gamble/#ncfc

This guy has been primed by Joe Ferrari or McNally or someone at the club, talk about trotting out the party line, poor journalism[/quote]Is it what it is. But I thought it was common knowledge that Pilkington wanted to move back to the North West?

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="militantcanary"]http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2014/08/14/a-pilks-departure-has-been-inevitable-for-some-time-with-solskjaers-cardiff-taking-the-gamble/#ncfc

This guy has been primed by Joe Ferrari or McNally or someone at the club, talk about trotting out the party line, poor journalism[/quote]Is it what it is. But I thought it was common knowledge that Pilkington wanted to move back to the North West?[/quote]

I don''t think you will find Cardiff in the North West

£2m has been quoted, which is a decent sum all things considered. As for him being down the pecking order, I think Adams is far better placed to determine this than random supporters who see nothing of preseason/training.

The fact is that Pilks was very poor last season, is extremely injury prone and he''s in the last year of a contract he clearly wasn''t going to renew. Far too many are remembering the player of 18 months ago rather than recently. Selling him now is perfectly sensible, it gets us some cash and allows him to make a fresh start.

Quite what some people''s problem is with this I just can''t see.

Just to put it I. Context, I used to think of Pilks as one of the first names on the teamsheet, but the last year has been so poor he wouldn''t be on the bench if I was putting down what I consider to be our best team.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]£2m has been quoted, which is a decent sum all things considered. As for him being down the pecking order, I think Adams is far better placed to determine this than random supporters who see nothing of preseason/training.

The fact is that Pilks was very poor last season, is extremely injury prone and he''s in the last year of a contract he clearly wasn''t going to renew. Far too many are remembering the player of 18 months ago rather than recently. Selling him now is perfectly sensible, it gets us some cash and allows him to make a fresh start.

Quite what some people''s problem is with this I just can''t see.[/quote]

I suppose it''s not that he''s been sold but the fact that Surman & Bennett are ahead of him to me is frustrating, it''s not like they justified their selection on Sunday!

That said 2 million and 7 million on Snodders, with 1.25 million loan fee is a good sum back in the coffers (although not confirmed as fees are undisclosed).

I''m hoping for a couple half decent players in and a good win on Saturday and I''m sure I''ll feel a little more happy.

I have a hangover from pi55 poor football over the past 18 months and don''t want to see anymore.

Any Norwich supporter is hoping for the same. Two or three fresh faces and two home wins and this forum will be a lot happier place to visit.

As for Pilks. You would hardly know he is a Norwich player due to his lack of shows in the last 18 months. Let go everyone and move on.

We are a RB,CB and wide player short of a title winning team.....fact