Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

My honest thoughts on Neil Adams

Since we lost the first game, I''ve been so confused as to the attitudes of many fans who want Adams out now, already. Whilst I do not back any fan who is calling for Adams'' head (that''s just crazy at this stage) I am also not in the camp of those saying ''it was only the first game''.

I''ve heard many people at work, the gym, in the city etc clinging onto the fact that we lost our first league game under Lambert in the Championship. Let''s not forget that Lambert was coming off the back of a league winning campaign the season before. We had momentum. This season, we are coming off the back of what was quite frankly, a slow and painful death. We all saw it coming but it didn''t make it any easier when it did.

Caught amongst all this is an unproven first team manager by the name of Neil Adams. A man who we searched the whole of Europe to find. A man who has managed 6 competitive games as Norwich City manager, losing 5, drawing 1. I don''t look at this record as a reflection of Neil''s management. I look at it as a team who were already infected with a disease and nothing was going to stem its growth.

However, what has frustrated me about Neil (I only speak for me, not anyone else) is his comments. His promises. ''We will attack, we will score goals, we will excite fans, we will do this, that, the other'' etc etc etc. He talks a great game, but I think he made life a lot harder for himself with those comments, a rod for his own back. He knew where Hughton went wrong, we all did, but I don''t think it was the right decision to jump on the back of that so quickly, if at all. Frankly, he should''ve just kept his mouth shut, done his talking on the 24 pitches we will grace in the league this season. He was never going to win over fans in Press Conferences or the clubs youtube videos. It was all going to be about the performances on the pitch. Nothing else.

See, I think the disease I mentioned earlier hasn''t quite been cut out yet. We still feel like a club that''s suffering, a club that lacks leadership. What that disease is - I don''t know, but it''s something. Something is hanging over us and until it''s removed, I can''t see us progressing. I''m certainly not suggesting this disease is Neil Adams, although I did fear for him the moment he was appointed permanently. He is heavily associated with a very avoidable relegation, whether it was his fault or not and his presence is a constant reminder of what went wrong last season.

I do not blame Neil for taking the job, but if I''m honest, I fear it''s beyond him. In my opinion, this is going to get worse before it gets better. I know that''s negative, I support this club as much as all of you, but something just doesn''t feel right. ''t may result in Neil losing his job, it may result in him proving thousands of people very wrong (I hope it''s the latter), but whatever happens, I do feel that Adams deserves as much time as we can afford to give him. I just think he may suffer as a result of the very generous amount of time given to our previous manager.

I have an open mind towards Adams. Maybe he can, maybe he can''t do the job. Give him a few games to settle into the division.

You say he can''t do the job. If you believe that, fence sitting is notan option if you are a fan. You want someone else who hopefully can do the job. We''re not getting back to the Prem by accident or in spite of Adams.

He was never going to do much in the impossible last five games last season - the other sides had too much to play for, and our troops were shell-shocked. In the event there were one or two good performances, and we lost to one or two wonder goals. I was impressed at the performances sufficiently to feel that he deserved his chance.

Whether he will succeed in getting into the top six, I don''t know - it was always a tall order with two other good relegated teams and three or four very good teams who were near to promotion last season. I fear that Prudence, with McNally pointing out our halved income this season, will mean that we shall not sign anyone really outstanding (i.e. big money).

I think that NA has done well in the signings so far - three useful players for very little outlay, improving the striking options and bringing experience to the midfield. I am desperately hoping the club will find him some money to sign a good central defender and a good right back, at least.

I like NA''s approach - very honest in answering questions, very thoughtful in tactics and willingness to experiment - apart from the one goal, from two defensive mistakes, Wolves did not get much of a sniff, even when we were down to 10 men.

When he has a full squad from which to choose, I shall expect a better performance - on Sunday Howson was unfit, and Tettey, Hooper and Lafferty not quite fit, as well as O''Neil banned.

So I am more optimistic than I was 12 months ago, despite the arrival of RvW and Hooper, and I hope that the squad settle down and give us something to cheer about.

I think sitting on the fence is fine. Why would I suddenly think Neil was definitely going to do well for us? Why would I also think he was definitely going to do badly? I can''t say either way, so on the fence is my place, but I will also support my team as much as I ever have.

Make no mistake, I was Neil to succeed. Why wouldn''t any of us want him to succeed? It would be perfect, but the difference between wanting someone to succeed and them actually succeeding to the point we want them to is massive.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, City have a better chance with Adams than any likely replacement.[/quote]Totally deluded , how can we have a better chance with the man off the radio than a proper football manager ? He has alreadyproved in 6 games that he is worse than useless .

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, City have a better chance with Adams than any likely replacement.[/quote]Totally deluded , how can we have a better chance with the man off the radio than a proper football manager ? He has alreadyproved in 6 games that he is worse than useless .[/quote]6 games. 4 against some of the best teams in England. 1 against a relegation rival. 1 narrow loss with 10 men. You''re proving that you''re a bloody idiot.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, City have a better chance with Adams than any likely replacement.[/quote]Totally deluded , how can we have a better chance with the man off the radio than a proper football manager ? He has alreadyproved in 6 games that he is worse than useless .[/quote]6 games. 4 against some of the best teams in England. 1 against a relegation rival. 1 narrow loss with 10 men. You''re proving that you''re a bloody idiot.[/quote]

Our biggest relegation rival went to Stamford Bridge and won just a few weeks before us. We went there desperately needing a win, and finished the game with no strikers on the pitch happy with a 0-0 draw, all but confirming relegation.

What worries me most is we have failed to score in 5/6 games , performances have not really improved at all, and this Norwich way, attacking football Adams promised has failed to materialize

Adams promised so much, yet has delivered nothing more than Hughton did so far

I still don''t have an opinion regarding Adams, I don''t think there''s a lot he can do at the moment with our current team. We are so, so poor on centre midfield and it''s clear the team is still suffering a Hughton era hangover.

Once again our heads dropped after going 1-0 down, we''re still dropping too deep after we lose possession etc

Even say for example if we poached an unhappy Pulis from Palace somehow in the summer I still wouldn''t be expecting miracles. Hughton defined this team on a certain way of playing and drilled it into them for 2 seasons, it is going to take time to not only break that way of playing, but also to get back a winning mentality.

First and foremost though if Fer is going, for the love of god!!! sign a couple of strong, fast midfielders who can actually pass the fuggin ball faster than 5mph and keep the ball when the opposition presses them!

We are never going to get into decent attacking positions to set up our strikers with weak, casual players like Johnson, Surman, Tettey etc trying to get us going from the back!

I think that then OP made his feelings known and his opinions stated in a clear and un hysterical manner .

I have an amount of agreement , and I don''t think any of us can say that Ncfc is in better hands with Neil Adams ,, than anyone else , surely you don''t believe the "scored Europe for managerial candidates " line do you ?

Seriously ,, there are very likely a few others who , given the chance , could do an equal or better job of it ,, don''t forget he will be learning the trade for many years to come ,, I for one would rather he did his learning somewhere else , not in the crucial season we have before us .

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, City have a better chance with Adams than any likely replacement.[/quote]Totally deluded , how can we have a better chance with the man off the radio than a proper football manager ? He has alreadyproved in 6 games that he is worse than useless .[/quote]6 games. 4 against some of the best teams in England. 1 against a relegation rival. 1 narrow loss with 10 men. You''re proving that you''re a bloody idiot.[/quote]

Our biggest relegation rival went to Stamford Bridge and won just a few weeks before us. We went there desperately needing a win, and finished the game with no strikers on the pitch happy with a 0-0 draw, all but confirming relegation.

What worries me most is we have failed to score in 5/6 games , performances have not really improved at all, and this Norwich way, attacking football Adams promised has failed to materialize

Adams promised so much, yet has delivered nothing more than Hughton did so far[/quote]Did you honestly expect us to get anything there at all? We were an awful team already resigned to relegation after West Brom. Adams had an extremely uphill task and it was no surprise that he failed.Let''s at least give Adams a few games to prove that he is up to it or else the poisonous atmosphere will just lead to our own failure.

I really like Adams however I don''t think he hasn''t got the "presence " Adams looks weak he sounds weak , and although he did very well with the youths , first team players have ego''s and big wallets and I really don''t think he is capable of handling them.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]IMO, City have a better chance with Adams than any likely replacement.[/quote]

Alas Smith and Jones think the same and this, following a near worldwide search by McNally.

I personally found the decision to appoint Neil Adams as first team manager of Norwich on a 3 year contract astonishing.

I would have no issues with him being appointed, if he had been through the ranks, for example being a successful manager at a League 2 side then onto a League 1 side. The fact that he was appointed manager of a Premier League team with 0 games experience as manager, failed (may not have been totally his fault but he picked the teams) and then was given a 3 year deal on the back of that is incredible. I honestly believe we would be the only club out of 92 league clubs that would do this.

We all know that they claim they “scoured the European Market” and amazingly found the best man already at the club. This is despite not involving him to assist in 1st team responsibilities for any of the time he returned to Norwich; from U14 manager, to Canary Call presenter to Academy Manager. We were told that despite his lack of experience, he could rely on Joe Royle to assist him here and there. Who does he turn to now?

Neil Adams is quite clever though. He was never going to turn down this once in a lifetime opportunity (he may never manager another club) and he knew full well that Hughton was negative, so all he needed to do was to make noises about playing attacking Football and everyone would be on his side. I’m yet to see that in any game apart from the 2nd half against Liverpool when they had the game won and for bits and pieces in the Fulham game, and the evidence is the fact that we’ve only scored in 1 of the 6 games he has managed so far.

So far we have lost some really good Footballers, and it is evident that we will lose Fer, Hooper and Bassong before the season is out, due to the fact that Adams isn’t playing them. It is only because we received acceptable bids for Pilkington and Snodgrass that these remain the only sales thus far.

Under Lambert, we lost the 1st game of the season in 2010/11, yet you could really sense we were going places, and boy did we! Under Adams, I just believe we’re waiting for him to admit he is out of his depth or the board eventually realise he is. The first season being relegated from the Premier League is crucial; you can’t mess about otherwise you’ll go past the point of no return. We needed someone externally to come in and unite the fans, take no nonsense and take this division by storm. Sadly, I don’t believe we have that man. Yet.

The op needs to read his op to understand my challenge about fence sitting. In the last paragraph, he says he fears Adams is not up to the job. If that is his opinion, he needs to get off the fence because no true fan wants a manager they think is incapable.

Way to keep an "open mind" about Adams

Love the "get off the fence" comment as well, are you Barry from canary call?

Brentwood. " we will lose Hooper due to the fact that Adams isnt playing him"

Now then Brentwood, i think what you really want to see is 11 players hobbling on to the pitch on crutches, vigorously swinging their plastered up legs and engaging in a giant arse kicking competitiion.

Adams has managed 6 games. Hooper has started 1 of those 6 games (in which he scored). He hasn''t been injured for all of them. Adams played Elmander on his own against Arsenal with Hooper an unused sub.

We were told Pilkington was injured.

What have I put that is not factually accurate?

If you actually respect that not all Norwich fans are happy with the current regime and respect opinions of others the world would be a better place.

brentwood " adams played Elmander on his own against Arsenal with Hooper an unused sub"..,,., oh really brentwood.

Just make it up do you?