Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Bradley Johnson - MOTM

Being a fan of Bradley Johnson i''ve spent a lot of time defending him, particularly against those who say he''s not good enough for us in this league. In my mind that''s absolute nonsense and this match has highlighted it.

People say he can''t pass and he shouldn''t try to, but his distribution today was absolutely first class and something Tettey is NOT capable of - or hasn''t shown it, at least. His work-rate is second to none, His positioning can sometimes be questioned because it does leave him liable to players running behind him.

His goal was fantastic and an example of what he is capable of. One of the main differences today was there were options. Availability on both flanks and Johnson was able to ping a ball out to either wing. Last season, his poor performances normally were on par with the team performance being poor. When he doesn''t have an option and he has to retain possession himself for longer than possible - it can cause problems but that will be the case for pretty much all midfielders in this league.

The reality is Lambert Hughton and Adams have all played Johnson in the Premier League. Why? Because he does a lot of work for the team and I don''t personally think all 3 of those managers have got it wrong.

Deserved MOTM although several players were very good - Lafferty obviously amongst the best but Hoolahan was also excellent.

[quote user="hogesar"]Being a fan of Bradley Johnson i''ve spent a lot of time defending him, particularly against those who say he''s not good enough for us in this league. .[/quote]i dont know anyone whos said hes not good enough for this league, in fact this league is exactly his levelthe premier league is another story

Exceptional match from him today, what a player to have at this level. Personally I think he needed to keep things more simple in the Prem but he is a great player and could still do the biz in the top flight.

Looks to have been working on his passing.

I do Iron Stan because i''ve had those exact arguments with people on this forum this pre-season.

He is a capable player in the Premier League. I rate Lambert, Hughton and Adams & all their accompanying staff of professionals above your opinion of him. Thanks.

Quiet on here tonight isn''t it?

Delighted for Bradders, thought he was the complete midfielder today. Hopefully will prove this isn''t a one off.

Johnson really surprised me today. He did what you usually expected of him but also looked far more calm and composed on the ball than I''ve ever seen him. The fact that we were playing 10 men for most of the game helped as Watford were reluctant to press the midfield, giving him more time to operate in, but I hope that this is a sign of things to come rather than a one off performance. 

Many fans don''t get Johnson!

Yes he''s not a worldbeater and never will be but he''s a workhorse who has more skill than he''s ever given credit for!

Always puts in a good shift!

[quote user="Voice of Monkey Island"]MOM was Kyle Lafferty. FACT!!![/quote]

No it''s not a fact you dim-witted one-celled plank. If you were there, Johnson was given MOTM. That is the ''fact''.

[quote user="hogesar"]Being a fan of Bradley Johnson i''ve spent a lot of time defending him, particularly against those who say he''s not good enough for us in this league. In my mind that''s absolute nonsense and this match has highlighted it.

People say he can''t pass and he shouldn''t try to, but his distribution today was absolutely first class and something Tettey is NOT capable of - or hasn''t shown it, at least. His work-rate is second to none, His positioning can sometimes be questioned because it does leave him liable to players running behind him.

His goal was fantastic and an example of what he is capable of. One of the main differences today was there were options. Availability on both flanks and Johnson was able to ping a ball out to either wing. Last season, his poor performances normally were on par with the team performance being poor. When he doesn''t have an option and he has to retain possession himself for longer than possible - it can cause problems but that will be the case for pretty much all midfielders in this league.

The reality is Lambert Hughton and Adams have all played Johnson in the Premier League. Why? Because he does a lot of work for the team and I don''t personally think all 3 of those managers have got it wrong.

Deserved MOTM although several players were very good - Lafferty obviously amongst the best but Hoolahan was also excellent.[/quote]

Couldnt agree more with this. He has taken so much stick on here for not being able to pass, and today he must surely have put that myth to bed. Everyone seems to think Tettey is better with the ball, but he rarely makes a pass like the diagonal balls bradders was pinging out wide today, our the exquisite lift over the back four to get Grabban in on goal in the first half. I agree with what others have said in that he had the time to think about his passes today which he may not always get, but at least he''s shown folk that he has it in the locker. Cracking goal too...

Needs to be consistent. Sadly it''s almost a given that he''ll be running around like a headless chicken before long.

Totally agree Hogesar. No-one had a poor game today and there were several top notch performances - but long before his goal I thought BJ was having the best game I''ve seen him play - he wanted the ball and his passing was excellent. He almost got a 2nd in the 2nd half - a diving glancing header which just clipped the bar.

Lots of positives today - BJ, Wes and Lafferty must surely be first on the list for Tuesday.

he was good today (last 10 mins apart) but had time and place to do so. IF he can do that most weeks then no one will be unhappy.

Two games in we have an example of the very best and (the more normal) very worst of BJ - which one will we get on Tues?

The formation certainly helped him - Tettey being an extra out ball made a lot of difference..

First on the sheet? Ruddy - idle for long periods but was needed and solid when required...

So basically ZLF, he did well today but you''re still willing to slate him? When he had options on the ball his passing was perfect today. Lagged a bit from 85+, but hardly surprising given the shift he puts in.

He was so good today. His passing was at times just pure brilliance, and for the most part decent. And the goal was very very nice and to top it off had a couple more decent shots.

Johnson wins.

Zipper do you buy the programme?

Johnson was given a stat of 87% pass success against Wolves, I assume that was the best in the team. With Hoolahan and Surman playing. And he isn''t normally bad, so saying the more normal worst is extremely over the top and disrespectful to a very consistent player for is over three, now likely to be four seasons.

Johnson is one of the biggest sufferers when the team isn''t playing well, and as a scapegoat for many, like we''ve seen with many players over the years every little thing he does wrong is in the spotlight. He really has never been that bad. It''s just funny how much some people like to belittle him.

[quote user="YellowAndGreenDreamTeam"]Tetty was actually MOTM but was unwell at the end of the game and rushed off so they changed it last minute to Johnson.

Both had very good games though obviously playing against 10 men helped this.[/quote]Hahahahahaha!But nope.Funny how Tettey gives the ball to Johnson to make the more technically difficult passes and people still think he is the better of the two!By the way, a MOTM does not have to complete 90mins. You get players who score a hatrick and come of after 70mins still get the MOTM award.

MOTM is chosen by the match sponsor. We sponsored the Brighton vs Norwich game at the Withdean when Bobby Zamora only lasted a few minutes before being done by Darren Kenton. Think he touched the ball once. Just for a laugh we picked Zamora as MOTM. You should have hear the "eh?" from the crowd when announced.

A really good goal from Johnson, and just at the right time, when hopes/commitment were being reduced.

He is capable of scoring good goals, blasting, heading, and now chipping. His main problem is inconsistency, -a low proportion of goals to chances. This something which has been a problem for our team during the last seven or eight years. Even under Lambert we scored plenty of goals, but we had so many chances, and even the great Holt missed a high proportion, although those he did score were often outstanding.

What is consistent about him, and in this he is second to no other player, is his thorough-going commitment. He is a defensive midfielder, helping to shield a fairly leaky defence, and yet he regularly pops up in and around opponent''s penalty areas. If many of his colleagues showed the same commitment we would do much better.