Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Sick of Redmond

[quote user="SplatCat"]Redmond is 20.[/quote]If your point is that he is learning, what did he learn last season, he is still doing the same things as he was doing 12 months ago.I was a big supporter of him but think it may be time to cash in, if there is still anyone who will take him.He may prove to be fantastic in a few years time but we need a player now

I''m not "sick" of Redmond by any means, but I would have hoped that the coaching team would have improved his final pass/cross/shooting.  As it is, he''s basically Lee Croft with afterburners.

Looks like Redmond is the early selected whipping boy for the season.

How long before some bumpkin makes up a story about him that permeates the fans and tars his name?

Thought yesterday underlined how he IS maturing as a player. Went through the mill and still provided decent delivery and had a number of threatening chances on goal.

The longer we keep him at Norwich the better, you must be mental if you think otherwise.

[quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]Great performance today much improved after last week, Johnson, Lafferty and Wes all brilliant.

Redmond on the other hand.

I''m sick to death of him now, he has to be the most overrated player we''ve ever had. I really can''t watch another run and no end product from him again. If Stoke are offering £5m I''d bite their hand off. How many times today did he do his usual cut inside and shoot and completely miss the target?

Granted a couple were close, but plenty were high or wide, and his crossing was woeful also and produced zero goalscoring opportunities.

The point is with Redmond is he seems to have turned into a Huckerbyesque talisman figure, by club and fans alike and as such the ball seems to gravitate to him more than any other player. The problem of course is he still has no end product to his game.

Far too many cut ins and wayward shots and pi$$ poor crosses that create nothing.

He looks like a player with ability and theres no doubting his pace and trickery in his build up play, but I''ve just had enough of this incessant nil end product. Its happening every single game, nothing has changed since the 1st game of last season.

The team would be far better served by a player who actually creates goalscoring opportunities given the ball more than anyone else in the team.

Heres an interesting thought. Tettey and Johnson are out and out defensive midfielders yet they have scored more goals than Redmond, our supposed most attacking player.

I hope Stoke up their bid.[/quote]

Friends and I have been having the same conversations recently. However, I was saying exactly this last season after watching him week in week out.

One of the most frustrating players to ever pull on the yellow and green.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Huckerbys Boots - Matt"]I think you should, surely its way past your bedtime anyway? Oh I forgot, its not a school night.[/quote]You started a thread stating you''re "Sick of Redmond" and yet when others disagree with you, you resort to insults (always). I suggested that people in the game may be more aware of his potential than you, but the best you can offer is that I should be in bed. Do you see how infantile you come across Matt? [/quote]

Oh give it a rest Lappin, youve made no effort to agree nor disagree with my post youve just posted childish taunts.

Very tiresome some people on this board.

[quote user="Buh"]Looks like Redmond is the early selected whipping boy for the season.

How long before some bumpkin makes up a story about him that permeates the fans and tars his name?

Thought yesterday underlined how he IS maturing as a player. Went through the mill and still provided decent delivery and had a number of threatening chances on goal.

The longer we keep him at Norwich the better, you must be mental if you think otherwise.[/quote]

Its all about perception i suppose cause all i saw was an endless supply of no end product as usual, about 5 or 6 wayward shots and numerous poor crosses from promising positions.

Your right some of his build up play was good and he kept the ball moving well, but he is supposed to be our main attacking threat and his success rate was 0% yesterday, while defensive players with supposed less attacking ability scored two cracking goals, taking full advantage of the space provided and the drop in level of football.

Maybe im expecting too much as others have said he is only 20, ive just had enough of the zero contribution to goals. Someone said i wouldnt be saying this if one of those shots flew in the top corner. Well its been 12 months and im still waiting for one. Tettey on other hand, a defensive player of limited ability supposedly has hit 3 crackers in that time.

I''m going to have to agree with the OP here. For all the pace and effort his end product is woefully inadequate. It was great to see him on the right wing for a change, which I thought may curtail his need to cut back in, but no. He insisted on doing the exact same thing only with his weaker left foot!

I will say though that, as poor as his crosses were, he wasn''t helped by the fact that for the vast majority of the game we were only getting one player in the box !! Against 10 men, for 88 minutes! I mean come on Neil, really??!!

What made you think he was our main attacking threat?

Tettey are positioned centrally so were in a good position to shoot after the build up play. Some of which was done by Redmond...

Way to slag off tettey for no reason as well, any players at Norwich you aren''t crucifying today?

[quote user="Buh"]What made you think he was our main attacking threat?

Tettey are positioned centrally so were in a good position to shoot after the build up play. Some of which was done by Redmond...

Way to slag off tettey for no reason as well, any players at Norwich you aren''t crucifying today?[/quote]

What? How am I crucifying Tettey? I''m not slagging him off don''t twist my words. I''m stating Tettey is a defensive player and of ''supposed'' limited defensive only ability. Ask any fan and there not gonna say yeah Tettey has got skills just like Ronaldo.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]I too find Redmond very frustrating. Lots of talent, but no footballing brain hence no end product. People say "he''s young, he''ll learn", but I don''t see it myself. Nothing has changed in a whole season under two different coaching teams. Time to cash in.[/quote]

Agree with this. Where I sit several people have similar opinions about Redmond which we discussed yesterday.

It was a cheap dig at tettey and you know it

If you are going to slate players at least stand by your slating of them

I don''t know what people expect though; he''s a pacey young winger in the mould of the Walcott''s, Lennon''s and chamberlain''s of this world, he''s gonna be a great attacking threat and we need to support him and nurture him to develop his progress so in a few years he''ll be a great player. He has a bright future and we need to stick with him. Stop complaining that he hasn''t got any end product, he will, he doesn''t have much now, but it will be more beneficial in the longer term if we stick by him. There''s a reason why stoke are after him.

I''m sorry but people are expecting a 20 year old to be the finished article. Walcott took years and even his delivery can be poor half the time.

People hark on about "Well he had last season!". Yes, he had one season in the Premier League where the original intention was to use him sparingly but every other winger bar Snodgrass was so shit or injured that he had to play most weeks.

The main benefit we get from Redmond in the team at the moment is he gets us up the pitch alarmingly quickly. To have him as an outlet on a counter attack is a huge bonus in my opinion. We don''t have anyone that can run at that speed and glide past people like he can.

It''s about time some of you, the OP particularly in this case, learnt to have a little fucking patience and accept that he won''t be hitting his ''prime'' for at least another five years and it''ll take a while to develop the weaknesses in his game.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I don''t know what people expect though; he''s a pacey young winger in the mould of the Walcott''s, Lennon''s and chamberlain''s of this world, he''s gonna be a great attacking threat and we need to support him and nurture him to develop his progress so in a few years he''ll be a great player. He has a bright future and we need to stick with him. Stop complaining that he hasn''t got any end product, he will, he doesn''t have much now, but it will be more beneficial in the longer term if we stick by him. There''s a reason why stoke are after him.[/quote]This ^

The most similar player to Redmond that we have had in the past in my opinion is Ruel Fox.

Ruel did a very good job for us. He was a very fast right winger who improved the more he played.

But he was not played as an inverted winger, or as a striker, or asked to play up front on his own .......... he was a right winger who leaned his trade and made the position his own.

Redmond seems to be asked to do a different job every match.

He is becoming a Jack of all Trades and Master of none.

I would prefer him to learn one job well.

Stop messing him about, play him on the right wing, leave him there and let him learn that position.

He will then be a very good player.

I thought he was ok today. Lots of his crosses early on were not bad but for some reason nobody was attacking them. There is often only one players in the box which means a cross needs to be utterly perfect to find someone. In an ideal world you want hims crossing with Grabban at the near post, Lafferty coming in at the far and someone arriving late from midfield.

Also I really want to see them keep him on the right wing so he can focus on improving the final ball, rather than playing him on the left or up front. He has real potential and is always going to be inconsistent but he will be a big factor for us this season.

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m sorry but people are expecting a 20 year old to be the finished article. Walcott took years and even his delivery can be poor half the time.

People hark on about "Well he had last season!". Yes, he had one season in the Premier League where the original intention was to use him sparingly but every other winger bar Snodgrass was so shit or injured that he had to play most weeks.

The main benefit we get from Redmond in the team at the moment is he gets us up the pitch alarmingly quickly. To have him as an outlet on a counter attack is a huge bonus in my opinion. We don''t have anyone that can run at that speed and glide past people like he can.

It''s about time some of you, the OP particularly in this case, learnt to have a little fucking patience and accept that he won''t be hitting his ''prime'' for at least another five years and it''ll take a while to develop the weaknesses in his game.[/quote]

Good points Hog but im sorry if he''s going to be 25 before he starts delivering on his potential then thats ludicrous. I think 20 is plenty old enough to be delivering the goods, especially in the Championship. I really dont think Redmond is gonna blossom into the Walcott/Lennon/Sterling type player everybody expects.

Obviously i could be wrong im not a professional football person. But its all about opinions and im just basing mine on the facts and the facts are he doesnt seem to have improved 1% in 12 months in the attacking sense.

[quote user="Buh"]It was a cheap dig at tettey and you know it

If you are going to slate players at least stand by your slating of them[/quote]

Dont tell me what i know i think Tettey''s superb. Perhaps limited was the wrong word but I was stating a fact and the fact is Tettey is a defensive player, and limited to the defensive side of the game, hence his postion. He''s not a bl00dy Ronaldo type player is he yet he still manages to do what Redmond has failed to do for 12 months, despite it not being part of his natural game.

My Dad offered the opinion yesterday that Redmond seems a couple inches off of being a star, and I''m inclined to agree.

I think it was quite apparent that he''s been coached to curl sharp balls just in behind the defensive line where Grabban tends to make runs, something that will begin to come off as the season goes on.

Likewise his shooting. Once one of his 20-yard potshots goes in, he''ll start getting them regularly IMO.

Redmond is not the finished article = and despite a season in the Prem he looks little different from when he first joined us. We need contribution on the pitch now, not sometime in the future! If the coaching team cannot get him to cut inside and power a shot on target (which is supposed to be a significant part of his game) then I truly despair. No way is he 10 times better than Josh Murphy as a previous poster suggested. Josh appears to have a better all-round football brain - and had he been given all those games in the Prem, what might we have on our hands now?

Should he stay here, I''d say Redmond''s value is more likely to depreciate - I''d cash in immediately should a club have £5+ to put our way...

Can anyone name me a player that was noticeably improved coming out of Hughton''s tenure than he was going in to it?

I think we may be expecting a bit too much too soon from NR. He has only just turned 20. I find it interesting that he is expected to be so much further ahead in his development than the Murphys when he is less than a year older than they are?

I love watching him burst past people with his pace, but get as frustrated as anyone when the umpteenth shot flies into the upper tier or the cross hits the first defender...but the reason we expect so much is that I think we all see that there could be something special about him...we just are getting impatient because he isn''t delivering it yet.

I am worried that he isn''t developing at the rate we hoped for, but wingers do take longer to develop (Walcott, Lennon etc)

Finally, the thing he struggles with is the most difficult thing to do in football...he doesn''t have the luxury of playing easy sideways passes, he is often the furthest forward player looking for the killer final pass...players who can do that consistently are worth an absolute fortune.

I don''t disagree with much of what you are saying Huckerby Matt but I think the fans have a huge responsibility to help him develop over the next season or two...he is still a kid and negativity will not help him improve...it will drain his confidence and we will lose him...

How galling would it be to then se him go onto become an established england international somewhere else.

He''s only just stopped being a teenager for Christ''s sake...cut him some slack (and Neil - maybe don''t play him 90 minute of viceroy match to reduce the expectation somewhat!)

Redmond doesn''t seem to have advanced in the year he has been at CR. His shooting is atrocious, his crossing still leaves much to be desired. I would defend him to some extent in that yesterday Lafferty was playing well everywhere, but seldom got into the penalty area. The consequence was that Grabban was generally on his own with five of six Watford players.

At the moment I am not sure who should replace him temporally, but he certainly needs some extra training in crossing and shooting, which are the basic skills of a winger! I would drop him for a few matches while he has special coaching. The best qualified to replace him would be Josh, but he prefers the left. Jacob is arguably not quite ready, but can''t be far behind Redders. If he can quickly gain confidence again, Benno is probably the best bet. He has shown a better control of crosses, and he packs quite a good shot on him.

We created some good chances yesterday, and really ought to have scored 4 or 5 altogether, and each time Redders had a shot the result was predictable - too high or too wide. So, to some extent he is a little bit of a passenger.

Everyone who attacks our own players like this needs to find some other club to support - u are all stupid idiots who do not understand what football is about, go back to supporting another club who has internet streams and carry on playing on FIFA on your PS3

Norwich City FC does not want or need TW@TS like you

There is no way u are a true supported, just an internet troll

Again - people have ridiculously high expectations of a 20 year old winger. Some of his balls in were alright today - no one attacked the near post though but the regularity in which he done it suggested he had been asked to do so by management.

Also, his shooting needs improvement - but I actually like the fact he shoots quite regularly - I think you need someone like that in your team. When he''s on the ball defenders and goalkeepers have to think - Defenders know he could easily go past him - goalkeepers know he could unleash a shot.

People need to stop finding a negative every bloody week. He had an alright game, he got us up the pitch and he was involved in most of our good play.

Why people think we can''t afford to be patient i don''t know. Every other team in every bloody League can play developing youngsters so why the fuck can''t we?

Think you were seeing the same thing as me hogesar, the amount of times he aimed hard and low for the near post can''t have been by chance.

The key thing Redmond brings to our lineup IMO is the potential to win a game out of nothing, he has that Huckerby factor, especially at this level. It wouldn''t surprise me if teams set up to specifically neutralize him, but if yesterday was the rule and not the exception then they''ll have a lot more to worry about than him.