Sign in to follow this  
Just Dan

Elmander or Lafferty?

Just wanted to get an opinion on Lafferty. Obviously made an impressive start to his Norwich career and this question is purely hypothetical, but would we still be in the premiership if we had Lafferty in the side instead of Elamander?

For what I have seen Lafferty is miles better.

Looks more driven, ran his socks off, covered really well.

To me he looks like a very good signing.

Lafferty is 6''4" has a great work ethic, tracks back, recieves the ball well, can hold play up, can arrive well in the box.

Looks very much the business. He looks the element that was missing since holt left.

He is exactly tht type of player the fans will relate to and get behind because he''s that swashbuckling style.

Get a chant going for him.

For me it has to be Lafferty. He mad some brilliant tackles, and shored up the left, but he was mobile enough to get forward and contribute there very well. We didn''t see it displayed against Watford, but he has a very useful free kick from around the penalty area.

If Adams signs a couple of good defenders, and releases Lafferty further forward, I can see him causing havoc in opposing defences. He''s a real handful!

He shows an engagingl commitment to the cause, and I can see him becoming a real favourite at CR.

Who knows?   It will be impossible to compare them.

Elmander has a career almost exclusively at the top flight.  He ended up with more assists than any other player in the squad last year despite appearing in an unexpansive attacking philospohy, earning more points per start than any other player at the club.   

Lafferty has played almost exclusively at foorballs second tier level.  He will be used in a more attacking line up that suits his style.    He does not seem to carry any aerial threat despite being 6''4" and missed a couple of easy chances that partially explain why he is not considered a regular scorer (also misses that would have lead to calls for RvWs beheading last season)     He had an excellent debut (he was my motm on sat) and his presence was missed when he was subbed.  He looks likely to be an excellent asset through the season if he can maintain this form consistently. 

stupid question as elmander was one of the worst players I have ever seen in a Norwich shirt.

The question was would we still be in the prem if we had Lafferty instead of Elmander, why is that a stupid question?

[quote user="alartz"]Is this really a question?

Let''s have a vote lafferty or elmander

99 to 1 I bet[/quote]

The question is whether people think if we had signed Lafferty instead of Elmander last season, would we be playing premiership football now?

I appreciate that nobody has a crystal ball, I just wanted to get an opinion on what people think.

Why are some people so aggressive on here? It''s a forum where fans, such as ourselves, can have an honest and open debate on anything Norwich connected. If the question is so stupid, why waste your time with a response?

Funny, I was thinking pretty much the same thing yesterday.  It''s very early days but my feeling is that after we''ve seen more of him, a lot of us will be thinking that if only we''d had him last season instead of Elmander (or any other of our forwards for that matter), we''d have earned the few extra points we needed to survive.

I think ZLF''s reply shows the weakness of applying stats to football.  Elmander may have been one of the best players last year in terms of "assists" and "points earner per start" but the fact is he contributed poorly to the team with little real impact and too many clever flicks and touches that often gave the ball away.  He was brought in as a replacement for GH and completely failed to fill that role.  I suspect his assists mainly came from the brief spell last autumn when he and Hooper combined to get the goals in our one decent run during the season, but if he had the best record for assists that just shows how poor our team was in attacking terms over the whole season.

Also I''d say to the OP don''t worry about the stupid responses - people like to have a go at new posters, it''s best to just ignore them.

Thanks ICF, probably my fault for putting a different title to the question that I wanted to discuss, not sure people read anything more than that.

I agree with you, I reckon we would have stayed up with him.

Lafferty''s clearly a class player in the Championship, the only question is whether he could cut it in the Premiership - just like we wondered about Holt. Personally I reckon Lafferty is better than Elmander, considering that Elmander was a completely crap player in the Prem and Laffers is class in the Championship

The difference between staying up and relegation was only a couple of goals so I can see the temptation to ask the question.

But premiership defenders and defences are on another level so until a player gets there you never know whether they have what it takes to be effective.

Another way of looking at it is that the margin was so fine that one less David Marshall save at Carrow Road plus a lucky goal in one of the other goal less games would have seen us survive.