Sign in to follow this  
CapeTownCanary

Seb Bassong....return from obscurity?

Looks like NA has said Seb Bassong has had knee problems leading up to the start of the season. Wonder how true that one is? Heard another rumour he had said something unsavoury in the press about NA...does anyone know? Point being....apparently he''ll be back in the squad for the crawley game!

Seb is Hughton''s man. Rumour has it that he was not too complimentary about NA''s appointment as caretaker and was frozen out.

He has played for the U21s pre season and is reportedly training with the kids which does give substance to the rumour.

However if Seb and Neil have fallen out they both do need to be bigger men and put any disagreement behind them and put the club first. Seb I think signed a new deal last Autumn so we need him to play if he is going to stay with us.

I know he was considered to have a mistake in him every game that could cost us. However if we are now looking to win games say 3 - 1 instead of 1 - 0 such errors will not be so glaringly obvious. I think it would be a massive plus to get a motivated Seb back. Both Turner and Bennett look much better players alongside him.

OTBC

Should have added that the knee injury story could be an indicator that they have kissed and made up and the story is a face saving way of paving the path for a return.

Let''s hope so. Bassong and Cuellar added to what we have gives us the cover we need at CH and RB.

I would be happier with that scenario

Maybe bassong has realised he''s not going to get a move away and he needs to play football.

I heard he was disrespectful to Adams as well and he is hughtons boy no doubt. If he wants to come in from the cold that''s fine but he was awful last season. Truly awful.

Whatever has gone on between them, and it sounds as if some pretty disrespectful stuff has occured, they are both professionals and should behave as such. That means putting personal differences to one side and getting on with the job.

The problem may come if Seb is trying to undermine Neil, if that continues to be the case then unfortunately there is only one solution.

Realistically if the window shuts and bassong isn''t sold I can definitely see him returning to the squad. He''s clearly good enough and if the apparent fall out can be forgotten he would be a valuable asset, especially in the championship!

Whatever the problem, Seb Bassong would be an absolute beast in the Championship. If no one comes in for him (two relegations in three years!) then it makes sense to bring him back into the fold, get him and Turner back at the heart of the team.

He is a significant upgrade on Leon Barnett who most considered to be one of the best Championship centre halves we''ve had. If he''s not sold we have to play him simple as.

It makes sense for him as well, if he has a goof first half of the season, his value increases and other teams are more likely to make an offer. Or we look like getting promoted and he stays anyway and we go up! Too optimistic? Probably!

Refusing to accept a wage reduction based on relegation despite contracted to do so. Club looking into a breach of contract with a view to termination.

I also get the feeling that Bassong wants to push for a premier league move, like he''s done with all his previous clubs, however, I would imagine PL teams have wised up so i think the only way he''ll get a move back to the prem is with us getting promoted

[quote user="Official Joe"]Refusing to accept a wage reduction based on relegation despite contracted to do so. Club looking into a breach of contract with a view to termination.[/quote]

If it''s a signed contract and I assume the club run a payroll system and then transfer the sum to his account.

How can he not accept it?

He might try and take the club to court not the other way round.