Sign in to follow this  
Paulo_M

Comparing transfer fees

I''ve seen many comments about the fee for Fer (rumoured between £7m-£10m) to be way too low on here/twitter etc.. I think we paid a fair amount less than this (£4m?), so seems pretty good return considering he didn''t exactly set the Prem alight last season... however, that''s just my opinion and due to the negativity around the rumoured fee, I thought I''d try and find some comparisons. Here''s a few examples of fees for foreign midfielders that joined Prem clubs this summer.- Emre Can joined Liverpool for £9.75m- Fernando joined Man City for £12m- Siem de Jong joined Newcastle for £6m- Remy Cabella joined Newcastle for £12m- Dusan Tadic joined Southampton for £10m

All these players were playing for a top tier clubs and have joined an established top tier club in England.They all went between £6m - £12m.Granted the length of contract and age come into play, but so does the financial situation of each club (i.e. we are a 2nd tier club, so we can''t turn down £10m for anyone). However, just looking at this, doesn''t the Fer fee seem pretty good? Why are some of our fans expecting more than this?Personally think people are focussing on the Snodgrass fee way too much - that was an absolute steel from us and even Bruce admited they paid too much.Basically we shouldn''t be comparing the fee to British players (well documented that they are overpriced) nor Strikers (who of course are generally more expensive). If you compare the rumoured fee to the above it seems like a good deal to me.

Barely anyone wanted Fer to go, but realistically was always going to be about getting the best deal. Even had we stayed up and he had a good second season at the top I would have expected him to move on probably for about 15m. So possible 10m with a 20% sell on seems pretty good.

Selling to Harry and Bruce is good business. Both pay far too much for players, always have.

It seems nobody else bid for either Snodgrass or Fer at anywhere near the prices we''ve presumably asked for, which says it all.

I think the reason why people want more for him is because it makes it harder for us to go up if he goes, we feel it needs to be worth our while to sell him. Although he''s probably worth about £6-7m, the fact is, he would be a beast in this league despite being very average last season, so for us, he''s probably worth £10m because we probably aren''t going to get a midfielder as good as him whilst in this league

It has to be good business for Fer. a player who I too would like to have kept and who I am sure will become a consistent performer....BUT....I do think some have some blurred memories of last season, despite showing promise no doubt....I cant recall a game where he was a real stand out MoM or a match winner for us? Plenty of mediocrity and limited interest with a few classy cameos, but he just wasnt consistent enough....I guess the Chavs will now see some consistency from him, but he is no Yaya Torre!

He''s still got 3 years left on his contract so why not hold onto him for another year? We''re more likely to get promoted with him but the board seem more worried about making a quick few quid than the long term future of the club.