Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Blackburn

After Saturday''s decent performance, Ricardo''s only worry was how far playing against ten men had influenced the result. The eleven Blackburn players certainly looked big and strong and after the first ten minutes or so I think we were all having one or two misgivings as the Canaries were definitely playing second fiddle.It all went pear shaped very quickly when a long first minute free kick bounced kindly for Cairney who volleyed a 20 yard shot past Ruddy before most of us were settled in our seats. It certainly unsettled the Canaries because it could easily have gotten worse when Whits got away with what looked to me like a handball. Then Ruddy had to dive smartly to his left as Blackburn kept up the pressure.It took a while for City to get going and when they did only a close offside call on Redmond stopped a flowing move involving Laffers and Wes. Alex Tetty almost repeated Saturday''s stunner when he connected from 25 yards only to be denied by the woodwork. City were now finding their range and Robinson saved brilliantly from Laffers low effort.After that ponderous opening City were now moving the ball quickly and accurately and Blackburn were now second best. The pressure mounted and when a Wes cross hit a defenders arm the ref immediately pointed to the spot. Grabbens shot wasn''t the best but Robinson could only parry it and the City man followed up to net easily.City were now dominating and Grabben and Redmond both went close to giving them a half time lead although Robinson looked very solid in the Blackburn goal.At halftime I was fairly confident we would go on to win it but when we reached the hour mark with little in the way of goalmouth action I began to have second thoughts. City had been unsettled by losing Garrido and had a wholesale change of the back line to accommodate Ryan Bennett. Martin went to right back and Whits to left.Eventually the wick got turned up again and midway through the half the ball was flashing across the Blackburn six yard line with great regularity but nobody could apply the finishing touch. Ryan Bennett twice went close when first Robinson tipped over his looping header then then was saved by the frame of the goal when a flying header crashed off the bar and over.Blackburn were now slowing the game at every opportunity but the City pressure became intense as constant attacks were scrambled away. It looked like Grabben had broken the deadlock with a close range header but somehow Robinson produced a magnificent one handed save to tip it onto the bar and away.With sand running quickly through the egg timer it looked like we would have to settle for a point. Elliot Bennett and Murphy came on for Laffers and Redmond as City went for broke. With just three minutes left, Wes wriggled clear in the left corner and found Johno who had made space for himself just outside the box and we witnessed a carbon copy of his Saturday stunner. It was a cracking goal deserving to win any game and it brought the house down.Blackburn now threw caution to the wind and there were scary moments, not least when Olsson connected with a cross and it looked odds on a leveller until Ruddy swooped to palm it away. Ruddy caught the corner and his throw out set Murphy away down the right, a cross to Grabben and despite close attention from a defender he stuck the killer goal in at the second attempt.Once again an entertaining match and a far cry from last seasons sterile fare. Adams promised us attacking football and that''s what we are getting. MOM? I''d like to say Wes for some of his play was genius, unfortunately some was not so good. Johno and Tetty were again superb but I''m giving it to Grabben, he looked a real handful tonight.[:D]

you missed out the atmosphere Ricardothose last few minutes after Johnson''s goal were blo  ody awesomethere is nothing like a night match to get things going

Agreed City 1st at times the atmosphere was low but there appears to be a return of that ''Raise the roof and carry yhe lads through" atmosphere. Loved tonight it was great to score at the end.

Ricardo......Cairney''s goal was a cracker too, I applauded the finish having seen it from the Barclay.

Just saw it and Johnson finish on Sky....great goals.

Excellent report as usual Ricardo. Thank you.

I note you mention the unsettling effect the half time change had on the defence at the start of the second half.

Didn''t you feel though that it looked much more balanced and settled after this? I feel Bennett is a more natural partner for Turner and Martin lacks the presence needed for CB? He worries me playing there.

As you say, Bennett''s physical presence was also put to good effect up front too - surely it''s a no-brainer to retain the same back four, whether Garrido is fit or not?

Agree Drazen the defence looked much more solid once Ryan Bennett was introduced and we looked a threat from set pieces with him up there. In the first half we looked pretty impotent from corners.

I don''t really get the criticisms of Martin. From where I sit it was obvious Martin and Turner had a great understanding as a pair in the first half. Its difficult for me to judge Bennett / Turner in the second. I thought whittikar had a good first half too at right back too. I would agree that Bennett was more of an attacking threat at set plays though. After Lafferty went off we needed that. We badly need a Jerome type on the bench.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I don''t really get the criticisms of Martin. From where I sit it was obvious Martin and Turner had a great understanding as a pair in the first half. Its difficult for me to judge Bennett / Turner in the second. I thought whittikar had a good first half too at right back too. I would agree that Bennett was more of an attacking threat at set plays though. After Lafferty went off we needed that. We badly need a Jerome type on the bench.[/quote]

I''m not critical of Martin - as a player, leader and captain he is worth his place in the team but in the position he is best suited to.

There is another thread on here calling him a liability which is unfair. He can''t help being the height he is and is playing in the position he is asked to.

I feel we are setting him up to fail playing at CB against some of the monster #9s in this division and don''t want to see that happen to him. Scapegoats can materialise very quickly around these parts!

I know buddy. I posted that here because I''d posted aabout it with Rickyyy after Watford. I definitely agree Bennett is better in the air but to counter that I think martin is better positionally and from my seat in the blankets it seemed Turner and Martin have developed a great understanding as a pair.

Tettey played some shocking balls. First half he hit a ten yard simple ball to Whitaker like a rocket to his kneck! He then did the same returning a throw in. Not as influential as Johnson for me.

I also felt that Blackburn were never really in control of the game. Even early on when they scored. Their moves were rarely fluid and those that led to half chances were often due to some sloppy moments from us rather than good play from them.

Rhodes was kept ver quiet.

By the end of the game it could have been 7-2. But it would have been a travesty had we got anything less from it. Well deserved win and some fantastic forward play. Wes turning on some of themagic again.

Tettey played well overall, but just didn''t get his MoM award, surely Wes won it hands down? Someone has already described Wes''s performance as vintage, and that is a great description for it.

I saw at least 4 times when Blackburn were about to play a pass and Wes was already on the move to anticipate, and cut out the pass, and away we went again, superb

Drazen Muzinic wrote the following post at 20/08/2014 12:42 AM:

"He can''t help being the height he is and is playing in the position he is asked to."

He has made no secret of the fact he wants to play CB now. I''m wondering how much ''asking'' Adams needed to do?

Lafety saved Whittaker several times in the first half, whereas in the second half Whittaker looked more comfortable. So whether it was down to who he was playing against ,or not, I cannot say.

Wes really looked up for it, and it is like having a new signing.

Grabban and Lafety both ran their socks off and did very well, but Tetty was MOM for me. Yes he did miss hit a couple of passes, but he stedied the ship after their opening goal and really bossed the midfield, and had some really good runs forwards with the ball.

When you consider the "valuation" of Jordan Rhodes and others in this division I think we have the two buys of the season in Grabban and Lafety.

[quote user="chicken"]Tettey played some shocking balls. First half he hit a ten yard simple ball to Whitaker like a rocket to his kneck! He then did the same returning a throw in. Not as influential as Johnson for me.

I also felt that Blackburn were never really in control of the game. Even early on when they scored. Their moves were rarely fluid and those that led to half chances were often due to some sloppy moments from us rather than good play from them.

Rhodes was kept ver quiet.

By the end of the game it could have been 7-2. But it would have been a travesty had we got anything less from it. Well deserved win and some fantastic forward play. Wes turning on some of themagic again.[/quote]

Hell the same could be said of Wes in the game... some of his passing and crossing was not good, but they all turned it around and deserved the win.

Tettey, Johnson & Wes are looking like a force and Redmond if any one noticed has two defenders on him allowing space for the others.

Great all round performance.