Sign in to follow this  
bloodwagon

goals from tonight

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Good to see that Grabban had the footballing sense to stay onside (just) for the third goal.[/quote]

Shame he didn''t have the footballing sense to do it the easy way and stick it in an empty net with his first touch!

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Good to see that Grabban had the footballing sense to stay onside (just) for the third goal.[/quote]

Shame he didn''t have the footballing sense to do it the easy way and stick it in an empty net with his first touch![/quote]The reason I mentioned it was because it was spookily similar, albeit with a diferent ending, to an incident in a home game with Crystal Palace in the 1990s. We were 1-0 ahead going into added time at the end. Palace got a corner at the Barclay end and Nigel Martyn (which dates it!) went up, as Robinson did last night.We broke away and while poor old Nigel was still huffing his way back to the halfway-line two of our players (one I think Akinbiyi) advanced towards the Palace goal, exchanged passes (one of which was forward) to draw the lone defending outfielder, and put the ball in the net. Cue wild celebrations by the players followed by bafflement as to why the linesman had flagged for offside.The serious point is that goalies who go up like that for corners, or even just leave the penalty area to act as sweepers, sometime unfairly get out of jail because of an offisde rule formulated well over a century ago when goalies never even left the six-yard box. It should be changed from two defenders to one outfield defender. I keep emailing Sepp (and Michel) about this but they claim to be too busy switching the 2022 World Cup to Antarctica...