Sign in to follow this  
Alex Harvey-Jones

MK Dons - Football game or comedy of errors!!

Well I went to the match last night and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the game!! I don''t think i''ve ever laughed so much during a match and the celebrations when we scored were great!!! I have no voice this morning from singing and shouting so much!

I''m sure people are going to attack this post and say our football was rubbish; we should be winning those games 3-0 etc etc but personally I think there are a number of positives to take! Certainly the football was awful at times and it wasn''t a game for the purists but it was the cup and cup games are always different, the pitch at MK is small and therefore difficult to play neat passing football on and MK Dons do have a good young side developing who were clearly up for the game!!

I certainly see positives though as listed below:

We won a game!

We won a game away from home!

We won in the cup against lower league opposition!

We won without Hucks and Deano!

We kept a clean sheet - ok that was because MK couldn''t shoot for toffee but we still didn''t concede!

In the second half Marney looked good in centre mid and made some good forward runs!

Jarrett played well and made some good surges forward when he came on!

Henderson got some time on the pitch and overall played pretty well.

Doherty looked good up front - he won some headers, got in some good goalscoring positions and made a great burst down the wing!!

Fleming on the whole looked sound in defence!

A lot of the fans clearly enjoyed the game which is important!!! At the end many a chorus of We love you Norwich we do could be heard!! The game brought real emotion and celebration from the fans - people were jumping all around the gangway behind the goal when we scored!!! Great stuff!!!

The fans however were so quiet through the first half except for a small group who sung through the entire game!! Come on guys we need to get behind our team more!! Ok we didn''t play great football but that''s even more reason to sing our hearts out to try and lift the team!!! Maybe I''m papering over the cracks in our performance but I went determined I was going to enjoy the game and get 100% behind the team no matter what and I did!! 

Post over - let the criticism commence!!!

Well it wasn''t Shakespeare that''s for sure, but we won and it is results that count. At least we''ve still got the guts to keep going right until the end.

I''m quite chuffed Brennan''s found a bit of form again too, I feel a few 25 yard stonkers coming from him this season!

Thanks Alex, a good post that has cheered me up a bit.  It''s always worth looking at positives when you play badly and trying to look at the negatives when you play well.

I agree Alex. Theres more to following City away than the match itself. Gallows humour can be quite enjoyable and the penalty miss, the Ipswich result and the last minute goal were very enjoyable. The ground was great for walking around and meeting people to chat. It was easy to park and there was a great curry house opposite the ground. The natives were reasonably friendly and all in all I was glad I went.

Good for you it''s nice to see positive comments, I think we have certain things to improve on but we are not conceding many goals & once our players start to gel we will be OK . Obviously like everyone I would like to see a couple of quality additions but I fear we may have to patient for a few more days before anyone else joins us. Come on the City lets show the moaners.

There was a preverse pleasure in it all. McKenzie''s shooting was woeful all night – I couldn''t contain my laughter when one shot hit the big Cow Shed sign in the stand. The atmosphere was muted throughout until they skied a penalty and we just reveled in the misery of it all. Greeno wasn''t bothered at one stage and just booted the ball the ballboy had thrown to him high back at him. It was dire stuff but 24 hours on, I keep smirking at the madness of it all. Why, oh why do we do it to ourshelves? Then trying to explain to the missus how I spent the evening after wearily returning home at 1am! Still a win is a win.

[quote]There was a preverse pleasure in it all. McKenzie''s shooting was woeful all night – I couldn''t contain my laughter when one shot hit the big Cow Shed sign in the stand. The atmosphere was muted throug...[/quote]

Totally agree Paul, the shelves just dont deserve it!

[quote]Hi Alex Harvey-Jone... , actually how did Simon Charlton performed? Thanks![/quote]

Charlton on the whole played ok although no one exactly had a blinder. He looked ok going forward and linked up reasonably well with Brennan. However he struggled a bit on his defending at times with the pace of some of the MK players. There were a few times when he allowed players to get past him on the outside and cut into the box - two of which should definitely have resulted in goals for MK! Green wasn''t too impressed by his defending and shouted ''keep him, out of the box Charlie!!!'' a couple of times!! 

[quote]I agree Alex. Theres more to following City away than the match itself. Gallows humour can be quite enjoyable and the penalty miss, the Ipswich result and the last minute goal were very enjoyable. The...[/quote]

I live just down the road from Milton Keynes and regularly visit the town. The cultural and social aspects of the town are quite impressive. I think once MK get their new stadium, it will be a good centre to host football!!