Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Why can ipswich not fill their ground?

Having just seen a message from their player Tommy Smith saying;

"Tickets still available for the match tomorrow so I hear! Can''t buy tickets at the gate remember, head to http://itfcdirect.com #itfc"

I thought it''s quite something when their own players have to advertise the derby match. So why is this? The capacity of their ground isn''t that much, yet their not managing to fill it. Is it because ticket prices are too high? Or that their fans don''t have the same interest in the team that they once did?

Also want your predictions.

I have a bad feeling they will nick it by a goal, 1-0 or 2-1 with set piece goals. I was feeling pessimistic before Blackburn aswell though!

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Having just seen a message from their player Tommy Smith saying;

"Tickets still available for the match tomorrow so I hear! Can''t buy tickets at the gate remember, head to http://itfcdirect.com #itfc"

I thought it''s quite something when their own players have to advertise the derby match. So why is this? The capacity of their ground isn''t that much, yet their not managing to fill it. Is it because ticket prices are too high? Or that their fans don''t have the same interest in the team that they once did?

Also want your predictions.[/quote]It''s price, pure and simple. Supporters are having to vote with their feet, especially with it being on SKY.You''ve seen us pack the ground out on numerous occasions. But we''ve been in the same league for 12 years and some supporters have simply got out of the habit of going and at £37 a ticket they''re not likely to be enticed back.

Rubbish.

We''d sell out on derby day if it was £70 a ticket.

Your attendances have been pathetic for years, the only time you get a respectable gate is when we roll in to town.

Face it, your ground is too big for you.

Mr Portman says:-

You''ve seen us pack the ground out on numerous occasions.

Numerous occasions eh? Nope can''t remember that unless it was in the last century.

Look - I hate all this ''bragging rights'' stuff but your pseudo "sensible with intensity'' I find even more repulsive

can you lot chill out :) although Brownstone you''re right; we were in the championship for a long time but the ground was full every week, what is the reason for their support to diminish though? Is it that the town fans have lost faith in their club and aren''t willing to support them financially and vocally at the ground or is it that there are perhaps other attractions in ipswich (although when i''ve had to go there I haven''t seen anything of interest tbh).

As we''re rivals it''s natural to dislike them, but try to take a step back from it and just see it for what the situation really is. There''s no real reason for us to not like them, but obviously there''s nothing wrong with having a bit of added spice as its a local derby.

It''s the first derby for 3 seasons, if Ipswich can''t sell out their ground at £37 a ticket they''ve got some serious problems.

It''ll be rather embarrassing tbh!

Their defender Chris Berra is also advertising tickets:

"One more day till the big derby! Would be unbelievable if it was a full house"

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Why can ipswich not fill their ground?[/quote]All the tickets are "friends & family"They have no friends and are all part of the same family.3-1 Norwich.

Unless things have changed...

During the 2008–09

season, Ipswich Town recorded an average attendance of 18,873,

approximately 63% of available capacity. The highest attendance of the season was 28,274 in the local derby against Norwich City.

Haven''t seen it sold out that recently then....

By the way, this is from the Binners'' own Wikipedia page so if the data is out of date then perhaps someone who gives a sh*t could update it.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="mrs miggins"]Having just seen a message from their player Tommy Smith saying;

Also want your predictions.[/quote]It''s price, pure and simple. Supporters are having to vote with their feet, especially with it being on SKY.You''ve seen us pack the ground out on numerous occasions. But we''ve been in the same league for 12 years and some supporters have simply got out of the habit of going and at £37 a ticket they''re not likely to be enticed back.[/quote]having to ?is there some obligation that is forcing you rustics to stay away from poorman road ?

numerous occasions ?really, I doubt you could point to numerous times in the past decade..... except when your wealthy neighbours drop by

I must admit that I find some of our fans obsession with attendance to be almost as annoying as their obsession with the ancient history of their club.

37 quids is quite steep especially in this league.When in the last season in the Prem we went to see West Ham away we paid less than 30 quids, junior included.

Cant see its got much to do with the price, their hard core support, for what it is will be there, the rest is made up of Essex north London catchment who have demonstrated that they have no real affinity with the club.

Ipswich is basically a little town in Suffolk and if they have to rely on local support, there just isn''t much of it.

I suspect an early kick off will also interfere with the traditional Saturday morning family in bed lie in!

jokes aside the two places are very similar in size, and I should imagine, catchment areathe starting point is however their current low attendances ... around 16,000and the expectation that they may well get another battering

if this was at carrow Road we would have to sell around 3 or 4 thousand casual tickets where as the paupers are looking to sell around 15-16 thousand casual tickets (12,000 season tickets + 2000 City fans)it might interesting to see how many of their casual tickets have been sold to youngsters rather than adults

This is a math based question…

They have 30,000 seats but only 18,000 people who care enough to regularly watch their team.

Of course in the 70''s and 80''s when they dominated European football….yawn!!!!!

I''m not so sure, times are tough for everyone atm, we''re still in a recession (apparently we''re not but lets not go over that one), the fact is, you''ve got to ask yourself if your club had been in the championship for 12 years or whatever (i''m using ipswich as an example but it could also be hypothetical) and has massive debts, an average squad with a manager a bit like Hughton who plays things safe and organised, pretty boring football, are you as a supporter going to keep paying for the ticket each season, knowing that you can''t really afford it for what its worth as you know the squad isn''t good enough to progress?

Obviously there''s the hardcore fans as Jenkins says who will find the money anyway they can to support the team they love, but also (and this may sound snobby, but don''t think you can get away from it), ipswich as a city is not exactly a nice place to go, its very run down and therefore doesn''t attract the most well off people/families, so therefore I''m not sure the majority of supporters in ipswich feel as though they can afford it, especially when they know they''re not getting entertaining football; a bit like us last season (in terms of style of play). However, the argument against this is also stated by a previous poster on this thread; attendances have been poor for a long while, much before the economic crash when people started to really care where their money was going, so therefore it can''t just be the money side of it perhaps

This is a math based question…

you missed the s

ps you also missed out that they won four world cups, provided six Primie Ministers and had the Queen Mum as a season ticket holder

Not only have they spent a long uninterrupted number of seasons in the Champ., they have at the same time been largely uncompetitive. This has succeeded in switching off their plastics and left just their 15 or 16,000 hard-core to suffer each week. As with any team (or business), it is far easier to retain supporters (customers) than it is to win them back after losing them.

Mr Brownstone wrote the following post at 22/08/2014 9:03 PM:

Despite their efforts, Ipswich is not, and never will be a City.

Ever.

-------------------------------------

my mistake...I guess the clue is in the name - ipswich town...doh