Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Brigham

Why Norwich can learn from the Germans (latest blog)

Forget about passion, Norwich need to learn from the Germans to beat Ipswich. By Daniel Brigham 

For three years the image on my laptop screen hasn''t changed. 

Every word typed on there in that time – including most of these Pink’un witterings – have been set against a background of two of the most evocative images in Norwich City''s modest history. A split screen of two shimmering scoreboards: Norwich 4 Ipswich 1; Ipswich 1 Norwich 5. 

The contrast between the many faces in the two photos works as a study of football''s power to elicit opposing emotions. The uninhibited rapture of the men, women, children of Carrow Road above the incredulous, solemn Ipswich fans losing their religion at Portman Road.

For three years those images have been a reminder of two of the greatest days any Norwich fan will have experienced. You follow football hoping for late winners and giantkillings, but there is no feeling quite as exotic as a crushing win in a massive game. It is rare to have the surreal luxury of watching the opposition fans visibly sag deeper and deeper into their seats as goal follows goal, each one violently perforating their hopes. 

It is a situation never more vividly demonstrated than when Germany annihilated Brazil last month in Belo Horizonte. The hush of despair that started after 20 minutes had turned into a very public mourning by the final whistle. While on a very different level, it was hard not to think back to Portman Road, April 2011. Except, where Brazil had Christ the Redeemer shedding a tear for them, Ipswich had Bill Oddie. 

Those two moments remain so symbolic of Norwich''s rise, fuelled by Grant Holt’s goals and Paul Lambert’s mumbles, that part of me wishes Norwich never had to play Ipswich again for fear of corroding what happened four seasons ago. As the 5-1 win proved, sequels can occasionally improve on brilliant originals, but, as anyone who’s seen Police Academy 3: Back in Training can attest, it''s often best to leave it there. 

On Saturday, though, it is finally going to happen. After three years of having to settle for beating Manchester United and Arsenal in lieu of thrashing Ipswich, Norwich head down to Portman Road. 

As they travel, I hope they go with thoughts of Germany’s Brazilian pillaging. 

Brazil were a mess. In front of their home fans, they went into the match in a state of frenzy, whipped up by the loss through injury of their messiah Neymar. Their anthem was an overwrought display of tears, bellowing and sentiment. It was passionate, sure, but self-destructively so. Meanwhile, the Germans sung their anthem with minimal fuss. No tears, no histrionics. Where Brazil had passion, Germany had focus. 

Norwich need to keep this in mind. They need to be Clint Eastwood and Ryan Gosling: cool, unflinching and happy to get ugly with just their bare hands and a toothpick. They must leave the emotional stuff to Ipswich, a team desperate for revenge. And let’s not forget what happened the last time Ipswich were craving revenge against Norwich: they lost 5-1.

Let Ipswich and their fans treat this as their biggest games in three years. Let Luke Hyam fill the Steven Gerrard role of putting the rabble into rabble-rousing. Norwich, however, have to view it for what it is: 90 minutes against Mick McCarthy’s meat-and-potato team of ungainly giants; just one of 46 matches on their quest for an immediate return to the Premier League. No more or less important. 

Like Lambert was, Neil Adams has to be dead-eyed and unemotional. The great first touch, the defence-splitting pass, the perfectly timed tackle is down to focus, not passion. 

In other words, Adams has to get his players thinking like Germans. 

Daniel Brigham is features editor at The Cricketer. He tweets at @cricketer_dan

One small flaw here, a German ''thinker'' has already been to Poorman Rd this season and it didn''t turn out too well for him.

"For three years those images have been a reminder of two of the greatest days any Norwich fan will have experienced."

Steady on DB our last three seasons in the PL have brought some momentus victories, including one against Manchester United, I seem to recall.

Any recent success against Shanty Town F.C., riddled with debt, lumbered with a skinflint owner of dubious means, a defensive dinosaur of a manager and a team full of freebies pales into insignificance by comparison.

Some perspective dear boy! Some perspective.

They had their day many centuries ago and it has been our turn virtually ever since.

[quote user="Daniel Brigham"]Forget about passion, Norwich need to learn from the Germans to beat Ipswich. By Daniel Brigham 

For three years the image on my laptop screen hasn''t changed. 

Every word typed on there in that time – including most of these Pink’un witterings – have been set against a background of two of the most evocative images in Norwich City''s modest history. A split screen of two shimmering scoreboards: Norwich 4 Ipswich 1; Ipswich 1 Norwich 5. 

The contrast between the many faces in the two photos works as a study of football''s power to elicit opposing emotions. The uninhibited rapture of the men, women, children of Carrow Road above the incredulous, solemn Ipswich fans losing their religion at Portman Road.

For three years those images have been a reminder of two of the greatest days any Norwich fan will have experienced. You follow football hoping for late winners and giantkillings, but there is no feeling quite as exotic as a crushing win in a massive game. It is rare to have the surreal luxury of watching the opposition fans visibly sag deeper and deeper into their seats as goal follows goal, each one violently perforating their hopes. 

It is a situation never more vividly demonstrated than when Germany annihilated Brazil last month in Belo Horizonte. The hush of despair that started after 20 minutes had turned into a very public mourning by the final whistle. While on a very different level, it was hard not to think back to Portman Road, April 2011. Except, where Brazil had Christ the Redeemer shedding a tear for them, Ipswich had Bill Oddie. 

Those two moments remain so symbolic of Norwich''s rise, fuelled by Grant Holt’s goals and Paul Lambert’s mumbles, that part of me wishes Norwich never had to play Ipswich again for fear of corroding what happened four seasons ago. As the 5-1 win proved, sequels can occasionally improve on brilliant originals, but, as anyone who’s seen Police Academy 3: Back in Training can attest, it''s often best to leave it there. 

On Saturday, though, it is finally going to happen. After three years of having to settle for beating Manchester United and Arsenal in lieu of thrashing Ipswich, Norwich head down to Portman Road. 

As they travel, I hope they go with thoughts of Germany’s Brazilian pillaging. 

Brazil were a mess. In front of their home fans, they went into the match in a state of frenzy, whipped up by the loss through injury of their messiah Neymar. Their anthem was an overwrought display of tears, bellowing and sentiment. It was passionate, sure, but self-destructively so. Meanwhile, the Germans sung their anthem with minimal fuss. No tears, no histrionics. Where Brazil had passion, Germany had focus. 

Norwich need to keep this in mind. They need to be Clint Eastwood and Ryan Gosling: cool, unflinching and happy to get ugly with just their bare hands and a toothpick. They must leave the emotional stuff to Ipswich, a team desperate for revenge. And let’s not forget what happened the last time Ipswich were craving revenge against Norwich: they lost 5-1.

Let Ipswich and their fans treat this as their biggest games in three years. Let Luke Hyam fill the Steven Gerrard role of putting the rabble into rabble-rousing. Norwich, however, have to view it for what it is: 90 minutes against Mick McCarthy’s meat-and-potato team of ungainly giants; just one of 46 matches on their quest for an immediate return to the Premier League. No more or less important. 

Like Lambert was, Neil Adams has to be dead-eyed and unemotional. The great first touch, the defence-splitting pass, the perfectly timed tackle is down to focus, not passion. 

In other words, Adams has to get his players thinking like Germans. 

Daniel Brigham is features editor at The Cricketer. He tweets at @cricketer_dan[/quote]Roflcopter. Yes, it was a gubbing but if they really were the best days ever for a NCFC fan that highlights the gulf in achievements really doesn''t it?I mean, Demolition Derby in 1997/98 was a day to remember but gosh... let''s not forget our heady days in Europe, away wins at St Etienne against Platini and co, defeating the mighty Barcelona, remaining undefeated in European competition to this very day, our final triumph in Amsterdam, heck even the 9,000 fans we took to the San Siro in 2001 after defeating Vieri and co.Yes, you''ve had the better of us in recent times but to EVER, EVER call us tinpot shows a distinct lack of class and appreciation for what we''ve achieved.It was doom and gloom on here 7 days ago, but a win over ten-man Watford and a Blackburn side that are notoriously poor travellers and all of a sudden Adams is ushering in a new era. Let''s hope that over-confidence isn''t misplaced tomorrow, eh?

We just need a half-decent performance against that shower.

If the players are up for it I can see it being a rout. They have made no real progress in terms of being contenders under McCarthy (survival seems to be the name of the game)

Can''t wait to be top of the league by a couple of points at the final whistle and send them home bleating about how big a club they are and how rich their history is.

COYY Pride of Anglia

Your glory was the result of one man who used your club as a stepping stone for bigger and better things.

4,000 seats still unsold tells me all I need to know about how big a club you are.

BroadstairsR - I know what you''re saying, but I did spend some time thinking about it before writing that line and I stand by it. For me, those two wins are definitely up there, coming in the context of Norwich''s brilliantly unlikely rise. Beating United was wonderful, but I don''t think it''ll live as long in the memory.

It frightens me what we will do to them tomorrow. Another 5 1 humiliation is on the cards. They are so ordinary even compared to when we last did them. I can''t wait never been to portaloo road and not seen a win!

[quote user="yellowasanything"]Your glory was the result of one man who used your club as a stepping stone for bigger and better things.

4,000 seats still unsold tells me all I need to know about how big a club you are.[/quote]A stepping stone to the biggest and best job an Englishman could ever wish for, you''re quite right. And we''re damn well proud of that too. But of course you know Robson''s not the only manager we''ve groomed for the biggest and best job...We''ve been in this god forsaken division for 12 years, the match is on Sky, tickets are £37 and the fixture is smack bang in the middle of the summer holidays; I would love to see your attendances playing Barnsley and co. year-in year-out for more than a decade.

Its a derby match and the reason you have no sizeable fan base is because the potential next generation of your supporters, have seen nothing but mediocre dross from your club.

Seriously? How long can you bleat on about achievements in the 70''s and 80''s? 50 years? 100 years?

You take no account of the fact that European places for English clubs were thrown around like confetti throughout that period and the old First Division may as well be a different sport to the modern Premiership.

Priceless, any form of discussion has them fumbling for the Pathe newsreel whilst doing a very passable impersonation of Albert Trotter.

Their biggest game since the last time we went there and all of those empty seats, quite surprising for a club with such a huge following and imperious history.

Oh hang on a minute, I expect it''s because a lot of people are still on holiday or don''t want to pay that much.

Not forgetting Sky of course!!!! Who could possibly not prefer 2 hours of sanitised cliches and player-cam over the noise, singing and cut and thrust of their own stadium.

If they had any sort of integrity or business acumen they would have allocated more tickets to City fans.

Portaloo_king: Same old binner, rolling around in yesteryear trivia.

Remind us where you''ve been for the past 10 years or so with that outstanding fan base you haven''t got!!!

Dream on being a wonderful club - you''re fans are worth bubbly squit. Your club is in a spiralling decline.

I do hope this stays live until after the match!

Well done! Your climbed from League 1 (where you lost 7-1 to Colchester) to 10th in the Premiership. That is to be admired. Your sense of entitlement and arrogance, however, is staggering. The reason you are playing us is because your team was so rank bad last season. Why is that you are suddenly an unstoppable force again? Plenty of clubs have come down since we did - their fans all expected to walk the Championship. How many have?

Your club has been rewarded with £60m this year for failure. You have reason to be confident. To be arrogant - no.

We take pride in recent achievements (i.e. this decade) but you''ll do well to find many fans who don''t accept that we deserved to be relegated.

The issue however is whether we are more of a force than you…the answer, an undoubtable YES.

I expect us to out-play you and to out-sing your fair weather fans tomorrow.

Suggest you put your thumb in your mouth and go back to TWTD, where you can reminisce about players with perms and very short shorts back in the day.

"We take pride in recent achievements (i.e. this decade) but you''ll do well to find many fans who don''t accept that we deserved to be relegated.

The issue however is whether we are more of a force than you…the answer, an undoubtable YES.

I expect us to out-play you and to out-sing your fair weather fans tomorrow.

Suggest you put your thumb in your mouth and go back to TWTD, where you can reminisce about players with perms and very short shorts back in the day."

Be fair your yellowness and never use the phrase "recent history" when replying to our deluded brethren. They ignore that.

Although, again to be fair, they did have a mini-renaissance under Boozer Burley but that ended in administration and the consequences of default for local businesses and charities.

Such a massive blot on such an illustrious history.

Right now, looking at the bigger picture, I would be very happy with a narrow hard fought win.

McCarthy knows what he is doing and will have Ipswich well prepared, set-up and motivated, and if we don''t come out of the blocks quicker than we have done this season to date, then we could have a big test on our hands......they are no mugs and will be relishing the chance to revenge those tonkings we gave them the last time.

[quote user="yellowasanything"]They are unbelievably slack defensively. I just think we''ll have far too much for them and we are creating chances.[/quote]You''ve clearly not watched us lately then. Our defence and work-rate are our strengths.

[quote user="portman_king"][quote user="yellowasanything"]They are unbelievably slack defensively. I just think we''ll have far too much for them and we are creating chances.[/quote]You''ve clearly not watched us lately then. Our defence and work-rate are our strengths.[/quote]

Is your work-rate and defence at its best 38 seconds into this?

http://www1.skysports.com/footballleague/championship/video/9431409/birmingham-2-2-ipswich

[quote user="yellowasanything"][quote user="portman_king"][quote user="yellowasanything"]They are unbelievably slack defensively. I just think we''ll have far too much for them and we are creating chances.[/quote]You''ve clearly not watched us lately then. Our defence and work-rate are our strengths.[/quote]

Is your work-rate and defence at its best 38 seconds into this?

http://www1.skysports.com/footballleague/championship/video/9431409/birmingham-2-2-ipswich[/quote]I''m well aware of that; I was there and saw it with my own eyes.A rare moment of poor marking.

Shame for St John and the other local businesses you fleeced that paying your debts isn''t one of your strengths.

Still, at least you had enough left after waving those tenners at us to pay off Chopra''s gambling debts eh? That''s what''s important after all isn''t it.

Those were the days.

Whatever happens tomorrow we''ll still feel superior to you, because we are.

[quote user="PragmaticBlue"]I do hope this stays live until after the match!

Well done! Your climbed from League 1 (where you lost 7-1 to Colchester) to 10th in the Premiership. That is to be admired. Your sense of entitlement and arrogance, however, is staggering. The reason you are playing us is because your team was so rank bad last season. Why is that you are suddenly an unstoppable force again? Plenty of clubs have come down since we did - their fans all expected to walk the Championship. How many have?

Your club has been rewarded with £60m this year for failure. You have reason to be confident. To be arrogant - no.[/quote]"The reason you are playing us is because your team was so rank bad last season."err, not so .. a point or two from staying up"Why is that you are suddenly an unstoppable force again?"because we are in a lower division with a good manager"Your club has been rewarded with £60m this year for failure. "again incorrect, we picked up the £62m plus for staying up the season before ... which further give us £23m this season - if failure was so well paid then why has your grubby little club not picked up all these millions, rather than having it#s training ground transfered to some off shore tax haven and your debts rising to an eye watering £100mperhaps you are from suffolk as you don''t sound too bright

[quote user="yellowasanything"]Your glory was the result of one man who used your club as a stepping stone for bigger and better things. [/quote]Cough, coughLambertCough, coughI truly hope tomorrow shows it is the gulf in player quality, not management, that means we could think about doing similar to 2010-11''s achievements.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Right now, looking at the bigger picture, I would be very happy with a narrow hard fought win.

McCarthy knows what he is doing and will have Ipswich well prepared, set-up and motivated, and if we don''t come out of the blocks quicker than we have done this season to date, then we could have a big test on our hands......they are no mugs and will be relishing the chance to revenge those tonkings we gave them the last time.[/quote]could you remind us how many who were on the receiving end of those tonkins are playing tomorrow ?

Fair play to you re the Lambert comment but don''t hold your breath re playing us off the park Grand-Dad.

I think the best you can hope for is to still be in the game at the hour mark.

Enjoy the game whatever. We''ve missed the rivalry and constant references to Europe and the early 1980''s.