Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk Mustard

Top of the League at Portman Road

a very good chance, though we may have to get there via the result at poorman road - ie we will have played a game more than  everybody as we kick off at lunchtime (12.25pm), the rest at 3pmit could well be that the paupers are bottom ... if only on points, given that they are still struggling to patch up their squad with more freebies and cast offs perhaps we''ll see that young City lad who joined them

how come ?the OP posed a question of possibility ie what could happennot what will happenand given our strong squad and that we will have played a third more games than others by 2pm that afternoon, then there is a good possibility of us being topthat''s all

Lets be careful here, I think if most are honest big Mick is a very good manager and I believe they will be a better side than last season, no I am not an Ipswich supporter but I do try to see things sensibly, they may not have cash or any big name players, we get our first chance to see them play later today, lets see what people have to say after that game, we will know a little bit more about them then. Sky sports 5pm :) I know the comments will be ground half empty lol

Football is all about targets - short, medium & long - with some players already talking about ''hitting the ground running'' I sense they intend to give it a really good go this season. The challenge will be how they react should the first few games not go to plan.

For me, there isn''t a game all season where we cannot expect to win. Even Fulham away! That''s not being over-confident - I''m realistic to know we''re unlikely to get 3 points every time, however we should be expecting to.

I''d much prefer a win one / draw one pattern averaging 2 points a game rather than the Hughton style of more-or-less hanging on the 0-0 draw we start each game with.

Whether we get 3 points at Wolves or not, I can''t imagine Neil Adams amending his general attacking intent in future games. Given the sterile stuff we''ve endured for the past two seasons, the sheer weight of fans opinion will demand we play to win - not to lose.

Personally I felt a bit numb at the end of last season - the sad inevitability of it all really. A drab World Cup performance from England didn''t help - but now, with the benefit of a few weeks away from football my interest has returned.

Yep, leaving Suffolk top-of-the-league would be nice - we''ll soon see...

Reminds me a bit of the "can we be top 6 in October" threads (or whatever they were) last season? [:)]

One step at a time!

[quote user="chuggs"]Lets be careful here, I think if most are honest big Mick is a very good manager and I believe they will be a better side than last season, no I am not an Ipswich supporter but I do try to see things sensibly, they may not have cash or any big name players, we get our first chance to see them play later today, lets see what people have to say after that game, we will know a little bit more about them then. Sky sports 5pm :) I know the comments will be ground half empty lol[/quote]

whereas we already know quite a lot about them nowlast season they relied upon loanees to patch up their squad and the most influential .... Williams has gone, as has Cresswell - the loans cannot start ''til after the first week of September...... others have also left - to say they are skint is a massive understatementwhat folk are forgetting is it will be about how well we do in the games before the paupers, even if we are a couple of points off the top which could place us mid table, playing before the rest would see us topthe natural order of things         (click link)

Given the choice we would be a significantly better shout for promotion with McCarthy rather than Adams in charge. I suspect we''ll have one point after our first three games gaining a point versus Watford.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Given the choice we would be a significantly better shout for promotion with McCarthy rather than Adams in charge. I suspect we''ll have one point after our first three games gaining a point versus Watford.[/quote]

what was that comment made by PG Wodehouseah yes........"It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine."

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Something we’ve done it before - what are our chances of doing it again by August 23rd?

[/quote]Based on today''s pathetic effort, there''s absolutely no chance at all

[quote user="City1st"]a very good chance, though we may have to get there via the result at poorman road - ie we will have played a game more than  everybody as we kick off at lunchtime (12.25pm), the rest at 3pmit could well be that the paupers are bottom ... if only on points, given that they are still struggling to patch up their squad with more freebies and cast offs perhaps we''ll see that young City lad who joined them

[/quote]Chortle.

A much greater likelihood of Ipswich being top of the league I fear. Anyway I predict a point at the weekend, followed by defeat to Blackburn, going in to Ipswich with one point.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]A much greater likelihood of Ipswich being top of the league I fear. Anyway I predict a point at the weekend, followed by defeat to Blackburn, going in to Ipswich with one point.[/quote]hmmmm

[quote user="Highland Canary"]A much greater likelihood of Ipswich being top of the league I fear. Anyway I predict a point at the weekend, followed by defeat to Blackburn, going in to Ipswich with one point.[/quote]

we winwe go topsimple as that

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]...even a point will take us top !![/quote]I wondered who would be the first to spot that   

If we go top on Saturday I''d imagine Ipswich Crazy will have to have a car battery wired into his nether regions just to distract him from the pain of it.

Just flick the switch and watch his glasses light up

I wonder what his pre-match ritual is like.

Actually no I don''t.

Messy.

We''re technically top from the minute the game kicks off. Only changes if we go behind. If we go behind by 4, they''re top. But that''s not going to happen!

We''re technically top from the minute the game kicks off.

actually not, as what you are talking about is merely an ''as it stands now'' projection that has no meaning until the game endswe still need a win, as this will be seen, come next May, as lost points were we to draw

You''re absolutely right.Still, any excuse to take the piss out of the binmen. It''s good enough for me.

A win would be fantastic but I wouldn''t have a problem if we come away with a draw - we mustn''t be complacent here.

Technically, won''t a point put us top of the league, because we play early and have better GD ?

There are 4 teams on 7 points so we can''t be top at the end of the day if any of those 4 teams win.  But equally if we get 3 points and all of them drop points, then yes it''s entirely possible we could be top Saturday evening, which would be a great feeling.  Don''t really mind tho'' - more important to be playing well and getting results than specific league position at this time of the season.