Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

Wes

Good on Adams for seeing how influential Wes can be still, and secondly for bringing him back into the fray.

I thought he outshone the Ipswich midfield, and created plenty of good chances for us.

Every time he gets the ball I expect something positive; either bring someone into play, spread it out wide to someone in space or create an opportunity for somebody.

Whenever Redmond gets the ball however...

A central three of Johnson - Tettey - Hoolahan (in a triangle, obviously) is a great balance of muscle, defensive rigour and attacking flair.  It also lets the two water carriers play the short pass to the playmaker.We could have won by four today and it would have been reasonable.

You can look back over my previous posts and see I have not been a big fan of Wes and have seen him as a luxury player and a frustration with too many tricks and flicks and not enough telling impact in a lot of games but today he was superb and showed that he can really fit into the team and be the controlling player that people have been hailing him as for all these years... I get it now... I don''t know if it''s a change of system or the players making the runs for him that he has always wanted (Grabban and Wes linkup was fantastic) but for the first time I saw him play on the same wavelength as his team mates and the spaces he created actually being used. Going by today I''d say I can''t have been more wrong- not a luxury, just a threat and an asset.Sorry Wes, if it is going to be like that then you''d make my team sheet every week this season.

takes  a big man to admit they got it wrong yellow shirt, I have always rated Wes it was because the previous management did not use him to his full potential, and like you I would have him on my team sheet every week, keep it up Wes this is what you are in the team for

I agree that this season Wes has been instrumental in most of what has been good about us . But is he playing really well , or at least better than last season ,, is it a change of use / tactics ,, or is this his level now ?

Personally ,, I think it''s a mix of everything ,, but for now he is " the Man " again ,, long may it last !

Otbc

[quote user="canarycol"]takes  a big man to admit they got it wrong yellow shirt, I have always rated Wes it was because the previous management did not use him to his full potential, and like you I would have him on my team sheet every week, keep it up Wes this is what you are in the team for

[/quote]Are you calling me fat?? ;)

The difference?

He''s playing with a smile on his face now, under Hughton he always looked p1ssed off and very sulky when substituted. Which is understandable given how restricted he was not only by position but also he played in the most static, rigid team..possibly ever and always had no one to pass to.

He''s been made to feel wanted and has been given complete freedom so has been allowed to shine again.

I''ll admit I criticised him heavily after the Wolves loss, I thought he was past it, thankfully that appears to just have been a bad game (First game curse, light pre-season probably)

A fluid, interchangeable front 4 of Hoolahan, Grabban, Redmond and Lafferty is just too much for teams and managers of this league to cope with

I think whats different now is that we''re not relying just on him in this system to be the creative one to make sure our striker scores; now everyone''s movement is fantastic, interchanging and sharing the workload, therefore i''m sure more goals will come of it

Watching our movement upfront I can''t help but see a likeness to Man City. We don''t always interchange our positions, more often than not Grabban stays up top, Lafferty on the right, Redmond on the left, but when the front four do start to interchange, it''s all very simple stuff.
If Grabban drops deep, Lafferty might move inside into the central role and Whittaker moves up to exploit the vacated space whilst the defensive line shifts to compensate for the gap. It''s simple movement, but it''s hard to defend against. Man City are very similar. When a player comes inside, one moves to provide the width (most obvious with Lafferty and Whittaker), when one drops deep, another runs in behind (Grabban and Redmond do this alot). It''s fascinating to watch and I can''t help but marvel at the simplicity and effectiveness of it all. What makes it more impressive is that it is clearly not spontaneous, this is the result of hard-work by the players and the coaching staff to help players almost instinctively know what positions to take up. 

Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 23/08/2014 4:19 PM:

Watching our movement upfront I can''t help but see a likeness to Man City

-----------------------------------

just spat my cup of tea out, thanks of that

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 23/08/2014 4:19 PM:

Watching our movement upfront I can''t help but see a likeness to Man City

-----------------------------------

just spat my cup of tea out, thanks of that[/quote]
No prob [;)]
I guess I should add that there is clearly a difference in the quality of the attackers (and the defenders) but that similar principles are applied when it comes to building an attack. A bit like how Swansea took principles form Barcelona''s style and applied it to their own team, that''s kind of what we''re doing but with Man City''s style rather than Barcelona''s.

pink''un » Have Your Say » Main Discussion... » Re: Wes

Phillip J Fry wrote the following post at 23/08/2014 4:19 PM:

Watching our movement upfront I can''t help but see a likeness to Man City. We don''t always interchange our positions, more often than not Grabban stays up top, Lafferty on the right, Redmond on the left, but when the front four do start to interchange, it''s all very simple stuff.

If Grabban drops deep, Lafferty might move inside into the central role and Whittaker moves up to exploit the vacated space whilst the defensive line shifts to compensate for the gap. It''s simple movement, but it''s hard to defend against. Man City are very similar. When a player comes inside, one moves to provide the width (most obvious with Lafferty and Whittaker), when one drops deep, another runs in behind (Grabban and Redmond do this alot). It''s fascinating to watch and I can''t help but marvel at the simplicity and effectiveness of it all. What makes it more impressive is that it is clearly not spontaneous, this is the result of hard-work by the players and the coaching staff to help players almost instinctively know what positions to take up.

The movement is terrific and such a stark contrast to the rigid rubbish that CH served up last season.

You can see how the players enjoy this so much more than the straight jackets they were forced in to.

Wes seems to be at the core of most plays we are making.....yet Adams is insistant in taking him off in a game. Now maybe this is due to Wes not being able to last the full 90 but it''s clearly affecting how we push forward later in games.

To be fair, Wes coming off for O''Neil was a good move.

I wasn''t overawed by his signing but you could see today what he offers. Buys free kicks, cynical little fouls, keeps the ball well, plays for space, etc.

He''s the perfect player for taking the bite out of a game, much like today.

o''neil''s the perfect player to bring on for a club wanting to get promoted; he''s got experience and works hard, as well as having enough quality to keep us ticking over. Still think we need a left winger, a midfielder and CB though.

Throughout his career Wes has had this problem of managers not knowing how to play him effectively. Lambert came to the conclusion that the team needed to be built around Houlahan and we acheived a lot of success because of it.

Hughton had a different approach to setting up a team, in which Wes was no longer pivotal.

It seems that Neil Adams knows how to play Wesley and that involves having a very mobile and flexible strike force around and in front of him. Our mobility up front plays to Houlahan''s strengths and Championship defenders mostly don''t have the skills to deal with our movement and Wes''s creativity. There were times today when the Ipswich back line were being run ragged by our attacks.

Very nice to watch, it''s how we like to see Norwich play and kudos to Mr Adams for the way he is building a very formidable team.

It is interesting that last season we used Johnson and Tetty as the base of a midfield that was bound to an inflexible system, where the ball moved slowly out of defence in order to maintain possession; the thinking being that if you maintain possession the other side can''t score.

This season we are using the same platform, but to deliver the ball much more quickly to the front men. Not only that but Johnson and Tetty are being encouraged to move up and attempt long to medium ranged shots at goal. Looking at the statistics for the number of shots it''s phenomenal and staggering when compared to last season where we''d sometimes go for ninety minutes without a shot on target

So yes, Wes is playing well because the manager has implemented a system that Wes revels in, and has thrown away the straight-jackets that the players were forced to wear last season.

There''s no doubt that Neil Adams has proved his credentials as a manager. It doesn''t get better than top of the league at Portman Road, although I''ll retract that statement when we''re top of the league next May.