Sign in to follow this  
Bill

the defence

seem to have held out yet again2 conceded in four games...... one against ten men and the other a stunning shottoday showed the merits of having ''inter changable'' defenders with Adams able to shuffle the back four after the early loss of Bennettsure it was the binners who were not going to pose much of a threat goal wise, but Wolves, Watford and Blackburn were different - and they were more of a measure of their abilityand with Ruddy in goal I think this will be a big part of our promotion challengelooking good

McGoldrick was their biggest threat, and I thought the defence kept him pretty quiet for the best part of the 90 mins.

Also the benefit of Johnson and Tettey sitting in front of the back four, though some very well drilled "stepping up" today to get a couple of key offside decisions.

Agreed and the acquisition of Cuellar only adds to that.

Despite the aerial supremacy of that lot today they really only created one chance from that supposed strength and the rest was dealt with with composure.

there was also a more direct approach after winning the ball in defence with numerous through balls played to whoever was freewhereas previously it was the ever cautious tip tap it around until the opposition had got back and marked up our playerssure, we missed a number of ''sitters'' but by the laws of average they will come... simply through creating more chances

for them the difference could be seen in Ttyrone Mings. a clueless clod hopper if I ever saw one who was lucky to remain on the pitch given how some referees take to defenders taking down strikers

The real test will be against the bigger teams. There was numerous times the Ips*** attack didn''t spot obvious through balls or unmarked players in dangerous positions. I really hope R.Bennett is back soon, but I''m proud of the boys so far

their aerial dominance never materialised - we dominated them in that area.

Still some basic areas for concern at the back, particularly on the right flank but everyone should celebrate just 2 goals conceded in 4 games

I agree that having interchangeable defenders is useful, but in terms of actual personnel we can do better than Whittaker. He is terrible - positionally not great, not particularly strong or fast, and there are no words to describe how bad his passing is.

the international break should give us time to bed in any other additions to the squadwill be good to go into that with another 3 points on the boardwhich would be an average of 108 points over a season !

While I share some of the concerns regarding Whittaker I believe his biggest handicap can be improved with the right coaching and good attitude of the player. In my view Whittaker does some good things but he suffers from too frequently making poor choices, particularly so when he is on the ball and, quite frankly, at his age those faults should have been "coached out of him" at this stage.

The one who shone out today for me was Turner. Won everything and lead the defence superbly.

The only things that concerned me was the amount of poor passing & times they held onto the ball too long, especially 1st half.

Also thought Whittaker does show some lack of positional sense and seems to lack enough pace to be a fb

They''re hoping with Bennett that it''s ONLY ligaments and not bone. If it''s a bad sprain then I guess it''s still a few weeks, but bone and it''s much worse. Garrido was solid yesterday and no real danger on his side. He played that good ball through too and looks like he is getting up to speed even with his recent injury. Did well to play the entire match. Looking forward to Cuellar getting some minutes against Crawley and maybe Gafaiti? Don''t fancy risking Turner..