Sign in to follow this  
Thame_hoops

leroy Fer- what are we getting?

Good going forward, tracks back too far away from the action - looking at it but not reacting; not one to put his body on the line. Not much chance of him doing a Gary O''Neill and getting sent off as last man.

If I were you I''d be worried because with Caulker and Mutch as well you''ve now paid good money for 3 players who''ve just been relegated from your division - and Rob Green and Junior Hoillet have both suffered that fate at least twice (is it 3 times for Green?).

In other words you seem to be putting together a squad simply purpose-built for relegation.

I''ll just enjoy the ride, if we stay up great, if not then it''s not the end of the world, we will have a nice trip to carrow road next season

We will pass you on the way mate, then you will pass us the season after! And so on and on!

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I do hope so in some ways, QPR are most people''s ''disliked'' clubs for a reason. Fernandes and Harry[/quote]

That''s so true....I used to have respect for QPR as a small London club doing well, good set of fans and you are still generally a good bunch but having Fernandes and the other questionable moneymen and one of the most questionanle managers have certainly blunted your club to other fans.

Just a word of warning QPR have the new Pompy look to them and look what happened to them.

Good luck to the season though .

On his day, he''s a great player, unfortunately we didn''t see enough of his top form but that may have been down to the formation, tactics and instructions Hughton gave him and the team. I saw enough to see that he has great potential in the right set up. Will he deliver? I think he might. If he does, you''ll have a job hanging onto him.

RE the Pompey thing, I think our debt is owed to shareholders ie the mittals (google them) where as Pompey was banks wasn''t it?

Don''t we all wish to be able to buy the best players though and how would you feel if you were taken over by billionaires as Footballs changed now, sadly us fans don''t pay the wages, it''s the tv money,no level playing fields anymore. Maybe FFP will solve this but I expect clubs will use loopholes. How much did Norwich spend last summer just out of interest?

My guess (clubs are not open these days about fees) is that we spent around £22m last summer.

But it is a moot point as to whether van Wolfswinkels fee counted against the previous seasons budget. The deal was done in March and the club has maintained it was January window money not spent. In which case reduce the spend to around £13,5m. That is for Hooper, Fer, Redmond & Olsson. (Have I missed anybody?)

"sadly us fans don''t pay the wages, it''s the tv money"

and where do the TV get most of their money from ?

For what it is worth Thame I thought we looked better when Fer was in the side than not.

He can be frustrating at times as he can miss options because he does not get his head up and hangs on to the ball a bit too long which often meant he got caught on the ball. But he was our "go to" man in midfield so he did get a lot of the ball.

I think you have bought a very decent player. The reported £10m seems a very good deal from our point of view, but if he has a half decent season for you he has the potential to enhance his value again.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]My guess (clubs are not open these days about fees) is that we spent around £22m last summer.

But it is a moot point as to whether van Wolfswinkels fee counted against the previous seasons budget. The deal was done in March and the club has maintained it was January window money not spent. In which case reduce the spend to around £13,5m. That is for Hooper, Fer, Redmond & Olsson. (Have I missed anybody?)[/quote]Sussex, it was about £24m-£25m, and that included.buying van Wolfswinkel. The accounts give a net cost to us for our summer transfer activities of £20.1m (with a possible £8m in extras). That includes buying van Wolfswinkel and the six others, and selling Vaughan, Holt, Barnett and Butterfield. If you assume getiing £4m-£5m for those four then the figure of £20.1m makes semse. Whether some or all of the money for van Wolfswinkel came from the winter budget is another matter.

[quote user="City1st"]"sadly us fans don''t pay the wages, it''s the tv money"

[/quote]

Adverts.

People (namely 1bn chinese) like Man U and other elite Premiership teams. This means 1bn people want to watch them. Sky (and foreign equivalents) own a few TV channels. They want people to watch so put what the people want on TV. Other companies realise these channels now have billions of peoples attention so pay good money to get their products seen on these channels, interrupting what people really want to see but subtly getting their message out there.

This means (unlike Spain) clubs like us and QPR (and most of the bottom 13) make most of their money leaching on to this demand. All keeps the competition healthy which is good but we are there to serve the big guns.

As for Leroy. I''m gutted to lose him as I believe there is much more there than I''ve seen now free from the shackles of Hughton. He''ll thoroughly enjoy having Remy to assist as well if you miraculously manage to cling onto him. Despite this, I think we can''t argue with coming out of this with £10m and i hope we still have enough in the locker to get promoted. We can use that money to bolster less covered areas of the team like our defence (btw do you want Bassong).

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="City1st"]"sadly us fans don''t pay the wages, it''s the tv money"

[/quote]

Adverts.

[/quote]

Sky TV subscriptions mostly ?

As for Leroy, he was a frustrating player with undoubted quality, but he''d tend to look good in games when we were playing well and go missing in the scrappier contests when you need players to show up and grind out a result - which we failed to do in key games last season.

With hindsight he wasn''t the signing we hoped (which was a poor man''s Fellaini - he wasn''t good enough or committed enough to be that).  So maybe he''ll do better under a different manager but I don''t think he''s a good signing for a team that expects to be battling relegation.

Got to mean stepovers, I suppose.

Personally, I think Leroy will do well although I hope Rangers get relegated so we can buy him back !!

If he lives up to his potential though he could be worth 15-20 million before long, which will then be outside our spending range.

Purple, I only totted up 5 ins. RvW, Hooper, Fer, Olsson, Redmond.

Who are the two that I missed? I have not done any research into the figures relying on memory of reported sums, but if I have missed 2 that will probably explain the difference.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Purple, I only totted up 5 ins. RvW, Hooper, Fer, Olsson, Redmond.

Who are the two that I missed? I have not done any research into the figures relying on memory of reported sums, but if I have missed 2 that will probably explain the difference.[/quote]Sussex, call yourself a fan?![:D] How could you forget Carlo Nash??? The other one was Elmander. I am a bit hazy on these loans from overseas but don''t they count as a transfer with some kind of fee attached? Rather in the way St Etienne are paying £1.5m for RvW for a season.

Thanks Purple

Indeed, I know I am totally embarrassed.

However Carlo Nash is obviously forgettable, and Elmander broke my reconciliation system of who have we sold plus who have we still got.

Yes overseas loans count as temporary transfers rather than a loan. So my sums would have been short by the Elmander fee.

Good move Leroy! 3-0 down at half time and he is doing his normal invisible man act. Also lost his man for the 2nd goal.

[quote user="JF"]Good move Leroy! 3-0 down at half time and he is doing his normal invisible man act. Also lost his man for the 2nd goal.[/quote]Yes just had a look on Loft for Words and they are far from happy with Fer , hardly touched the ball , responsible for one of the goals , £10 million does not get you much these days .

Impatient lot these football fans - "Fer looks like he hasn''t a clue what to do".  This taken from Loft for words. Thanks goodness for that goal for Holland - got us another £4M I think.

I think his QPR debut has confirmed what many suspected, Leroy aint up to being a central mid in a team under pressure.

Maybe a bit of a luxury in the Prem.

Yep. A performance the same as we saw so many times last season. Strolling around not getting involved in the game and losing his man for goals. All thats been missing is the double step over and we will have the set! Over rated and no great loss.