Sign in to follow this  
Thame_hoops

leroy Fer- what are we getting?

Hi chaps,

Rangers fan here, I come in peace, so what type of player is Fer? Harry is saying he''s a box to box midfielder. Are you sad to see him go or do you think you have enough in your locker after a good start?

Lazy, uninterested, half hearted...

But then he was playing under Hughton so he''s probably actually really quite good

Yeah more or less that. Good deal for all.

If he consistently played to his best we wouldn''t be having this conversation, because he wouldn''t have played for us and you wouldn''t have a hope in hell of signing him. As it is, those days aren''t very often. He''s decent, but if the roles were reversed I wouldn''t be happy with Norwich parting with the amount of money you just did for him.

Oh, and contrary to what people may say, he is not lazy. It''s a word people use on here to mean "doesn''t sprint around like a headless chicken"

Will be fantastic for you next August, when you''re back in the Championship, but premiership is just one step too far.

[quote user="Thame_hoops"]Hi chaps,

Rangers fan here, I come in peace, so what type of player is Fer? Harry is saying he''s a box to box midfielder. Are you sad to see him go or do you think you have enough in your locker after a good start?[/quote]safe deposit box to box in ''harry''s case

Seems a good deal for all then, if he stays an international then he should have a decent resale value. Do you think you''ll give the championship a good go this year? Looks a very hard division, if it''s any conciliation Harry got rid of tons of players and we still went up, using the loan market efficiently

don''t know. but when you find out can you come back and let us know if he is actually any good?

"if" he can produce his best more often than he did for us, then you have a player on your hands. For us, he went missing a bit to be honest....along with many others, but we did certainly see some glimpses of real quality from him.

So, it is big bucks based on what he did for us, but could be a bargain "IF" he produces what he is capable of week in, week out....oh, and that sell on clause will come in handy.....after you have to release him following relegation.....

Very good on his day and has good potential but not sure that he rolls up his sleeves when the going gets rough, i think we have got a good deal especially if its 10M

He can be a box to box player, as to being sad about him going depends if we reinvest, Ashton leaving was a shock Eadie leaving was a day of mourning, this is a bit of a shoulder shrug

We''ll see, hopefully learnt by our mistakes when we last went up together, we seem to be getting players with resale value, freebies on decent contracts (rio) or loans. Nice to see we aren''t spunking the obscene amount of SKY monies this time.

I don''t think QPR are quite getting the player portrayed in the spiel, but he is decent enough and won''t do a lot to let them down - imo £8m-£10m is a good deal for us, twice what we paid. As others have said, if he was ''that'' good I guess he''d not be wandering around with the likes of us/QPR in the lower reaches of the PL.

[quote user="militantcanary"]As a matter of interest are you going to get away scot free from the flagrant abuse of FFP or is this a treat waiting for you if you go down?[/quote]

I''m not sure to be honest, I don''t pretend to understand FFP. I''m just a supporter who goes 5-10 times a season to watch a team I''ve followed for 28 years.

RE Gary o''neil, he did ok, was surprised you gave him 2yrs, he''d have probably settled for one year. He''s a nice passer of the ball

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]Spent most of the time in that defensive role when really he''s actually quite an attacking midfielder.

Every attacking player was made to look average under hughton, I personally think he will do really well[/quote]This.He has the potential to be a top player, that''s if Harry doesn''t mind giving him a reguar kick up the aris, and plays him in a more forward position.

You spunked a lot more than the Sky money last time I think you''ll find...

As for Leroy, he has undoubted quality but didn''t show it consistently enough, maybe Harry can get that out of him, Hughton certainly couldn''t. That being said he''d have had trouble getting water out of a tap so it''s perhaps not much of a suprise.

Think he was playing with an injury for parts of last season too. Could probably have done with a rest but couldn''t get one as we were very unlucky with injuries in midfield and failed to strengthen in the window.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]Spent most of the time in that defensive role when really he''s actually quite an attacking midfielder.

Every attacking player was made to look average under hughton, I personally think he will do really well[/quote]This.He has the potential to be a top player, that''s if Harry doesn''t mind giving him a reguar kick up the aris, and plays him in a more forward position.[/quote]Also agree with this. As he settled last season, he showed signs of being the player we know he can be, then was injured for a while and after that we never really saw the best of him - and our whole team were struggling.  The world cup will have helped his confidence though and think he will be a big player for you - as long as the rest of the team is good too. 

If QPR have spent £10m on Fer and want to know what you''re getting?

A player that is probably owned by a Third Party registered in Panama which Harry knows absolutely nothing about.

He can play a bit as well but hard to tell as not only did he have to endure playing under Hughton but was no stranger to the treatment room.

Very very Inconsistent, strong tackler, powerful on the ball, undisciplined tracking back, does things in daft areas, difficult to find a set position, skilfull with good control,great driving forwards, ability to dominate, ability to infuriate. Can go missing.

Surprised no one has mentioned his signature double step over!

[quote user="Thame_hoops"]Hi chaps,

Rangers fan here, I come in peace, so what type of player is Fer? Harry is saying he''s a box to box midfielder. Are you sad to see him go or do you think you have enough in your locker after a good start?[/quote]

Re Fer he''s potentially very decent I would say but really hard to tell how good he really is based on his time with us. he has some games or some moments in games where he really looks like an imperious world beater but then he also gives away stupid fouls in dangerous areas and can have some other games where he goes missing or lets his runner get away from him too easily. looked good for a few weeks leading up to when he got injured and then was never the same player after a few weeks out.

On his day looks a top half club premiership player, on others is ineffective. its also hard to tell because we had an incompetent prat of a manager who did not know how to use him and sucked the life out of every decent player in the club so if he is used better he may be more effective.

Regarding us I think most are cautiously optimistic. None of the players we have offloaded are irreplaceable, we''ve got good money for them and we look to have bought quite well. Squad seems to have bonded again and most importantly we have an on song Wes Hoolahan back in the fold which I think most of us would take in return for losing Fer and £8 million quid!

Fer''s great in a midfield 3 or 5 where he has the support behind him to go forward. Although I wanted him to stay, it was never going to happen and £8m+ is a good deal for both parties, although he''s probably worth a bit less as he was pretty average in the prem; yet on the other hand he had to play in a Hughton team. Basically time will tell, even we don''t know what the real Fer is like