Sign in to follow this  
Eaton Yellow

Howson

When fit he''s one of the first names on the team sheet for me, with the exception of Wes he''s the only other player that seems to want the ball and makes things tick. Do people see him replacing johnson/tettey or alternating with Wes?

After last nights performance tho both cm''s had a good game I didnt feel both were needed to start in home games. Can''t fault the performance but IMO Howson adds more. I guess it''s just finding the right balance home/away?

[quote user="Eaton Yellow"]When fit he''s one of the first names on the team sheet for me, with the exception of Wes he''s the only other player that seems to want the ball and makes things tick. Do people see him replacing johnson/tettey or alternating with Wes?

After last nights performance tho both cm''s had a good game I didnt feel both were needed to start in home games. Can''t fault the performance but IMO Howson adds more. I guess it''s just finding the right balance home/away?[/quote]

they could all fit in.....but it would probably be at the expense of Redmond in a diamond formation

Tettey

Howson Johnson

Hoolahan

Agreed that may well work, but with our not so defensive left and right backs we could be vulnerable. Strange as it sounds, I liked laffertys shift out wide

He''s not good enough to warrant breaking up a winning side for.

I agree with "?"

Howson is ok ,,, but blows hot and cold , I think he has to wait his chance , for either injury suspension or lack of form from one of the others . More suited to the role of Wes,, as he is not really a player who tackles like BJ or tettey,, also ,,, a bit if a " sick note" and for that reason , I don''t personally think he will ever make a significant or season long contribution to the team .

With our rather ponderous and leaky defence, the question is whether we could cope with only one defensive central midfielder. Tettey and Johnson have done a good job of protection, and scored goals. I have a great respect for Howson, who is a complete footballer, but while Wes is on fire we are making and scoring plenty of goals.

Adams will have selection problems, but for once of the right kind - too many good players, at least forward of the back four.

I think howson adds competition and depth to the attacking mid and holding mid departments and can do a job in both.

It''s going I be a long hard season and we will definitely need him at some point.

A lot of games this season and we will need to rotate the squad.

We have yet to see Howson for us in the Championship. Could turn out to be a star turn for us, so we can not really judge yet. But agree with others will need to wait his turn whilst the current starters are doing the business.

The midfield trio of Johnson, Tettey and Hoolahan have been excellent over the last couple of games. I certainly wouldn''t break it up in an attempt to accommodate Howson. He''ll have to wait his turn, which will inevitably come along sooner or later.

He will be a great addition to the bench, but will have to wait his turn, as Tetty and Johnson were good on Tuesday night.

When we bought Howson I had a look at a Leeds mesageboard, and, while their fans really rated him, they also felt that he could "go missing" for periods of time, which seems to sum up his time at Norwich.

There''s no doubting that both Johnson and Tettey have impressed so far this season, and until Howson is match fit again, I think NA would be unlikely to make a change.Once fully fit again however, he gives us that focused midfield that neither Tettey or Johnson really offer.Ideally I''d see us lining up in a similar manner to Chelsea, with something like this setup:[url=http://sharemytactics.com/20078/][img]http://sharemytactics.com/20078/Norwich-City-formation-tactics.png[/img][/url]That will make full use of Howson''s more attacking nature, whilst keeping the centre of the park solid and giving us some real threat on the wings.

Howsons preferred position is in that hole hoolahan plays in, he''s said it before but is happy to play CM/DM to get a game.

Personal I prefer Howson to hoolahan But can''t drop him the way he''s playing at the moment and rightfully deserves his place in the 11.

howson the player who don''t score and don''t assist and has 1 good game in 10, a very overated player by many.

I don''t see Howson as an AM he''s a good passer with a good engine but he doesn''t have the speed of thought to play that role effectively. I prefer him when he''s playing a more traditional CM role where he can burst from deep with tge ball driving the team on and keep it moving with his passing. The games I''ve seen him play that AM role he got dispossessed too often and didn''t look comfortable playing with his back to goal. Could be different at Championship level but would put Wes in that position above him every time.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]That will make full use of Howson''s more attacking nature, whilst keeping the centre of the park solid and giving us some real threat on the wings.[/quote]Indy, Johnson was our most consistent players last season and has been outstanding so far this season. I can''t see why anyone would select a team that doesn''t include him.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Indy, Johnson was our most consistent players last season[/quote]Yes, he was consistently poor to average, whilst having the distribution of a sick swan.He may be a guy who gives 100%, but so was Andy Hughes and I didn''t seen many clamouring for him to be picked each week either...[quote]and has been outstanding so far this season. I can''t see why anyone would select a team that doesn''t include him.[/quote]I agree that he''s had two very good games so far, but surely the past 3 seasons has shown you that even if he has a small run of 3-4 games where he performs fairly well, the rest of the season is generally little more than a lot of huff and puff with a huge of amount of possession lost through his inability to consistently find other Norwich players.Howson is the more technically gifted, Tettey is the better defensive mid (and he can pass a ball ffs), Johnson is the ideal benchwarmer.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lappinitup"]Indy, Johnson was our most consistent players last season[/quote]Yes, he was consistently poor to average, whilst having the distribution of a sick swan.[/quote]Speaking to David McNally after the game on Saturday, he said "there had been more enquiries for Bradley Johnson over the summer than any other player". Why would that be if your assessment is correct?

You genuinely think that Tettey can pass, but Johnson can''t? Deary me.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lappinitup"]Indy, Johnson was our most consistent players last season[/quote]Yes, he was consistently poor to average, whilst having the distribution of a sick swan.[/quote]Speaking to David McNally after the game on Saturday, he said "there had been more enquiries for Bradley Johnson over the summer than any other player". Why would that be if your assessment is correct?[/quote] That should have read...."there had been more enquiries for Bradley Johnson from Premier League clubs over the summer than any other player".

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="lappinitup"]Indy, Johnson was our most consistent players last season[/quote]Yes, he was consistently poor to average, whilst having the distribution of a sick swan.[/quote]Speaking to David McNally after the game on Saturday, he said "there had been more enquiries for Bradley Johnson over the summer than any other player". Why would that be if your assessment is correct?[/quote] That should have read...."there had been more enquiries for Bradley Johnson from Premier League clubs over the summer than any other player".[/quote]"You are keeping Bradley Johnson, aren''t you?" is technically an enquiry....

Anyway, I agree with - er - someone, and I like the BJ/Tettey combo.  So to accomodate Howson I would drop Hoolahan.Or at least use Howson as a reminder to Hoolahan that he needs to be effective if he''s to stay above him in the pecking order.

So the front 6 look a bit like this:

Johnson          Tettey                      Howson/Hoolahan      Redmond                                  Lafferty                             Grabban

Very different opinions by most on here, it''s always good to see how other people view it. For me Howson is a solid footballer. I think maybe just needs to get back on the pitch and send out the reminders. But I''m not complaining how we are playing of late. As someone mentioned earlier. It''s a good problem to have with a long season ahead.

I''m a big Howson fan (if people weren''t already aware of that) but even for me it has to be a case of him waiting for his chance while something else is working for us.

What is a load rubbish is when people say he''s inconsistent or only has one good game in every ten etc etc. He''s no worse than anyone else for consistency. Infact he plays consistently well more than most.

[quote user="Eaton Yellow"]When fit he''s one of the first names on the team sheet for me, with the exception of Wes he''s the only other player that seems to want the ball and makes things tick. Do people see him replacing johnson/tettey or alternating with Wes?

After last nights performance tho both cm''s had a good game I didnt feel both were needed to start in home games. Can''t fault the performance but IMO Howson adds more. I guess it''s just finding the right balance home/away?[/quote]I often struggle to see why he is one of the first names on the team sheet though. 4 goals in 60 games, no assists last season. He''s not awful don''t get me wrong. I have no qualms to seeing him on the pitch but I see him as fundamentally a poorer version of Leroy Fer. More of an attacking outlet than a defensive player. He looks uncomfortable in a deep lying role.

Just like to say after yet another fine performance he will have to graft hard to get back in this team. I think he offers a lot as I''ve stated before. But somehow out of nowhere tettey and johnson have become a classy partnership in the middle.

Long may it last

YELLLLOWWWSS

I think we are sitting pretty if we have someone like Howson waiting in the wings.

He is different from what we are fielding at the moment. My thoughts:

Things did not go well at the beginning of Hughton''s first season. He brought in Hoolahan & Tettley to form a midfield central core of JB\Tettey\Hoolahan to address the bad start . This combination saw us go on a 10 game beaten run which included us turning over Man Utd & Arsenal. Now the football was pretty tedious but this combination were hard to break down & managed grind out wins (by the odd goal).

When Tettey got injured Howson was the natural replacement.

The combination of BJ\Howson\Hoolahan was involved with our only away wins that season - impressively at Swansea & Man City. With Howson, the team was freescoring - Howson himself scoring 2 memorable goals.

My assessment:

JB\Tettey\Hoolahan - harder to beat, few goals but will win.

BJ\Howson\Hoolahan - lots of goals but variable results.

Howson is a darn good footballer - box to box like Fer. Both not as good defensively as JB/Tettey but better offensively. Both better defensively that Hoolahan but not offensively.

When Howson & Fer were paired together last season - in games I always looked to Howson (with his ability to shoot from distance) not Fer to make the breakthrough.

We will lose something and also gain something if any of JB\Tettey\Hoolahan got injured and Howson comes into the side.

I think if Hoolahan was injured Adams would just abandon the "hole" and play 3 in midfield. Howson is not a ''like for like" with Hoolahan but will fit in between JB & Tettey in 3 across.

Big question now is if it''s JB or Tettey that are injured would Adams prefer O''Neill to Howson ???

Howson would love the freedom of having BJ/Tettey protecting the back four and allowing him to get forward and get his shots and passes off. He can carry the ball well enough (Man City away was a nice example) and imo is better competition for Wes than Tettey/BJ. I think O''Neill would be a better replacement for those two, we know Howson would handle the position well enough and it also depends on if we''re chasing or defending a score

[quote user="York Canary"]Howson would love the freedom of having BJ/Tettey protecting the back four and allowing him to get forward and get his shots and passes off. He can carry the ball well enough (Man City away was a nice example) and imo is better competition for Wes than Tettey/BJ. I think O''Neill would be a better replacement for those two, we know Howson would handle the position well enough and it also depends on if we''re chasing or defending a score[/quote]This is exactly how I see it if we''re playing our current system.If we utilise Jerome and go for a more traditional 4-4-2 I would expect to see a mixture of either Tettey/Johnson/Howson/O''Neil being pretty much interchangeable.An excellent midfield for this level though. Should help us reach the top 6 comfortably.