Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Reinvestment

the striker situation wouldnt be so pressing should Hooper still be here and fit come Sept 2nd.

its also ironic that we had Becchio sitting on our bench for the last season and and a half when we didnt need him, yet now we do, isn''t there?

if we could get him back onside ,he''d be an ideal man to bring on for 10-15mins if needed.

discounting Bassong,Becchio,Bunn and untried youngsters in the squad...we''re painfully thin for a season with a further 44 games to play?

Ruddy Rudd

Whittaker Martin Turner Garrido Olsson Bennett

Johnson Howson Hoolahan Bennett Murphy Redmond Tettey O''Neil

Grabban Lafferty Hooper

19 players.....only just filling a bench here...need at least 4 players in the next fortnight, unless we''re intending to go down the loan route from Premier League clubs when the loan window opens mid-September?

i think 5 of the young players are good enough to be in the squad; Loza, Gaffatti, McGeechan and Morris (currently on loan) and Jacob Murphy. The other 5 kids who are pros certainly fall into the untried and untested. We need at least one more midfielder and defender. i personally would bring Bassong back into the squad and probably the team.

RB and CB is where we most need to recruit. Another wide-player and striker couldn''t hurt either and if we could find a number 10 to challenge Hoolahan then the squad is pretty much set.

good point Jenkins. I remember Blackburn fans said that his attitude was poor once they went down and were glad to get rid of him once they went down. However, i don''t wish to make him a scapegoat as the situation may have been a lot different then. He was great last season and hopefully he''ll be great again

Hope so too, he was shell shocked by being skinned by a championship right winger last week, he wont come up against any more pace than that this season.

[quote user="Adnams Out"]Plenty of money coming in, no excuse not to hire a professional manager.[/quote]Oh theres plenty coming in , for a club that didnt have to sell we have sold just about everyone who was any good , now will we see that money reinvested in the team or will it mysteriously vanish ....not too hard to work out is it .

def need a new centre back, now need a new centre mid, even more so need a left footed pacey left winger, and will probably need another striker when hooper goeswe might need to replace redmond as well

can anyone really see the club paying for not just those replacement but replacements with enough quality to get the club promoted under a manager with little to no experience !?!?

It could get quite exciting in the next fortnight with incomings. We have the basis of a very good squad already with a lot of room for manouvere.

[quote user="militantcanary"]]With the sale of Snodgrass and by the looks of it Fer and Surman, what do you think we need and if possible, any suggestions?

Snodgrass= £8m

Fer = £8m

Surman = £1.2m

= £17.2m

e.g I think:

2 CB/RB = £4m

1 ST = £3m

1 LM =£2m

1 CM =£4

£4.2m leftover for January

We have so far spend just under 7M and if the two sales are correct we will have received over 19M

Snodgrass -7, Fer 8, Surman 1, Pilkington just under 2, Rvw 1.25 loan fee. This has the added bonus of reducing our wages to probably to 30M v approx.

I think Leroy and Ricky along with Bassong and Ruddy are our 4 biggest wage earners, 2 off the books will make a big difference.

Our further overheads cannot be more than another 12M, 1.5M on the Academy, 4M on staff wages, Agents fees possibly 1M, running costs 5M?

Our TV money and other revenue (assuming a reduction on last year of about 25%), would give us revenue of about 45M.

We would thus be looking at a small profit before our transfer dealings which would put us about 12M up.

I think our budget therefore as it stands would be about 13M including wages for the 1st year.

Can those who scrutinise the accounts more carefully than me say if I am in the right areas?

Suggestions - Powell Man U, Ake Chelsea, Gnarby Arse (Well that''s who would I would like in an ideal world[/quote]I have no idea what we have available for transfers. But in terms of Prudence with Ambition (which we have always had under Smith and Jones) overspending on long-term wages is what kills you rather than one-off sums. The trouble is we don''t have the accounts for last season, and I certainly don''t know what kind of relegation wage reduction clauses players had. How much less they are getting this year.The last time we were in the Championship we spent £18.4m on wages out of a turnover of £23.3m. that is 79 per cent. Our turnover this season should be somewhere between £45m and £50m. If we spent 79 per cent of that on wages the wage bill would be around £39.5m.

I''m not expecting all of the money to be going on incoming players, I daresay there''s a few costs of relegation to take care of.

Tom Cairney I like, would love to see us in for him, nick Powell also, defensive players seem more tough at the moment. Could mike Williamson be tempted? Shane Duffy?

Cheap shot canaries, I have to say your posts are getting more and more pathetic. We have sold just three players to-date (incl RvW who is only a loan), only one of whom could be considered successful last season. That is fewer than either of the other relegated sides. Ok, we may lose a few more, but there''s several we are looking at moving on out of choice, and only Fer looks a near-certainty to go out of the guys we want to keep.

If we lose fer, Surman and possibly Redmond we are 5 or 6 players short of where we should be if we want to challenge. And relying on loans is not good enough.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Cheap shot canaries, I have to say your posts are getting more and more pathetic. We have sold just three players to-date (incl RvW who is only a loan), only one of whom could be considered successful last season. That is fewer than either of the other relegated sides. Ok, we may lose a few more, but there''s several we are looking at moving on out of choice, and only Fer looks a near-certainty to go out of the guys we want to keep.[/quote]We are moving them on out of choice are we ? Adams would have liked to keep Snodgrass he''s gone , he would have like RVW in his squad (so he said) he''s gone , today he said he does not want to lose Fer and it looks as good as he''s gone , he offered Surman a new 2 year deal so he must have wanted to keep him and lo and behold he is reportedly off too . So its hardly the manager (so called) who wants to move them on .Now if we were shipping out the likes of Bunn , Bassong and Becchio players who are clearly not wanted i would agree with you but thats not the case is it ? we are selling all the assets the players that gave us the edge to get back up again . Not long before the window closes now and an awful lot of players to be replaced (with better if McNally wasnt lying) how do you see that panning out ? well heres my take probably a couple of dirt cheap signings before the window closes and 2 or 3 kids on loan from the Prem later .Seen it all before , lets do everything on the cheap ....which never works .Adams looks more like a puppet everyday not having a clue who is being sold , somebody in the boardroom should keep him better informed then he wouldnt make himself look so clueless .

Cheap Cheap Canaries wrote the following post at 17/08/2014 9:41 AM:

Branston Pickle wrote:

Cheap shot canaries, I have to say your posts are getting more and more pathetic. We have sold just three players to-date (incl RvW who is only a loan), only one of whom could be considered successful last season. That is fewer than either of the other relegated sides. Ok, we may lose a few more, but there''s several we are looking at moving on out of choice, and only Fer looks a near-certainty to go out of the guys we want to keep.

We are moving them on out of choice are we ? Adams would have liked to keep Snodgrass he''s gone , he would have like RVW in his squad (so he said) he''s gone , today he said he does not want to lose Fer and it looks as good as he''s gone , he offered Surman a new 2 year deal so he must have wanted to keep him and lo and behold he is reportedly off too . So its hardly the manager (so called) who wants to move them on .

Now if we were shipping out the likes of Bunn , Bassong and Becchio players who are clearly not wanted i would agree with you but thats not the case is it ? we are selling all the assets the players that gave us the edge to get back up again . Not long before the window closes now and an awful lot of players to be replaced (with better if McNally wasnt lying) how do you see that panning out ? well heres my take probably a couple of dirt cheap signings before the window closes and 2 or 3 kids on loan from the Prem later .

Seen it all before , lets do everything on the cheap ....which never works .Adams looks more like a puppet everyday not having a clue who is being sold , somebody in the boardroom should keep him better informed then he wouldnt make himself look so clueless .

Grant Holt for £400,000 sounds cheap. How did that work out for us Cheap Shot Canaries?

Should I go through the rest of our promotion winning squad Cheap Shot?

For the record, it is never the managers choice to sell players he actually wants to keep. Think you will find it''s the same at every football club.

Keep bashing our club though Cheap Shot. Says more about you doesn''t it!

Decent post miggins.

I personally would like to see a commanding center back come in. Martin back to right back.

If Becchio is completely forgotten then we need another striker.

A genuine left winger would compliment the squad well. Finding that left winger poses a problem I think.

[quote user="ricardo"]As McNally never tires of telling us, "all transfer fees are reinvested in football". Shareholders don''t get dividends.[/quote]

I''d assume a lot of it would go into plugging the £30 million odd loss of income from being relegated seeing as we''ve so far kept most of the squad?

Assuming the wage cuts, staff trimming and the (alleged) 10 million we had left over last January have covered roughly half of that, the Snodgrass money went on our two strikers etc That even though the shareholders haven''t pocketed the money, wouldn''t some 10-15 million not be re-invested to keep us financially sound?

I must admit I know absolutely nothing about how football clubs finances work but I doubt if we received some 15 million from player sales that even anywhere near half of that would be spent this year at least

[quote user="Darth Catbeard"][quote user="ricardo"]As McNally never tires of telling us, "all transfer fees are reinvested in football". Shareholders don''t get dividends.[/quote]

I''d assume a lot of it would go into plugging the £30 million odd loss of income from being relegated seeing as we''ve so far kept most of the squad?

Assuming the wage cuts, staff trimming and the (alleged) 10 million we had left over last January have covered roughly half of that, the Snodgrass money went on our two strikers etc That even though the shareholders haven''t pocketed the money, wouldn''t some 10-15 million not be re-invested to keep us financially sound?

I must admit I know absolutely nothing about how football clubs finances work but I doubt if we received some 15 million from player sales that even anywhere near half of that would be spent this year at least[/quote]More like £45m. Probably no more than £5m either side of that figure.

I''ve been hugely underwhelmed at the investment in the squad so far this summer. Assuming the Fer and Surman deals go through (plus the potential sale of Redmond) then it will be interesting to see whether the Board honours its previous commitments that outgoing players will be replaced with better ones and that all income from the sale of players will be reinvested in the playing staff.

As someone else said, for a club that claimed they didn''t need to sell anyone following relegation, it''s not been a very convincing transfer window so far.

I''m worried we will not see the same number of incoming transfers to bolster what is already a very thin squad.

As I said on another thread if Fer and Surman go then this is a big couple of weeks for the board. Apparently we''ve spent £5-6m on the two forwards already but if we make nearly £20m in player sales and only spend £5m then serious questions need to be asked. I''d also expect to see Bassong and Bechhio leave (I imagine they will be loaned out) which should bring a big saving on wages.

Personally I''d rather we bought a couple of players for £3-4m rather than 4 or 5 players at £1m each and Byram of Leeds would be my number one target.

We also need to look at the loan market- as Derby saw last season adding a player like Thorne or Bamford can really help a team even if its only short term.

[quote user="Kingston Yellow"]I''ve been hugely underwhelmed at the investment in the squad so far this summer. Assuming the Fer and Surman deals go through (plus the potential sale of Redmond) then it will be interesting to see whether the Board honours its previous commitments that outgoing players will be replaced with better ones and that all income from the sale of players will be reinvested in the playing staff.

As someone else said, for a club that claimed they didn''t need to sell anyone following relegation, it''s not been a very convincing transfer window so far.

I''m worried we will not see the same number of incoming transfers to bolster what is already a very thin squad.[/quote]There is a difference between having to sell a player for purely financial reasons, and selling them because they don''t want to play in the Championship, especially if you get a decent price for them. Which is what happens if you get relegated. Taking Sky Sports'' figures, Cardiff, who have more money than us, and probably also told fans they didn''t have to sell, in fact have sold Campbell, Medel, Mutch and Caulker for a total of £25m.

Reinvestment primarily depends on how much the management think we need additional players to mount a promotion push.

From where i''m standing, defensively we could do with another player or two. But it might be thought that we don''t need to spend the majority of the money we receive in this window - not until we get back into the Premier League where we can attract a better quality of player - which considering Championship player prices have inflated beyond belief (McCormack) - might not be such a bad idea.

So many sold, and so few signed. Perhaps some of Hughton''s signings were poor, and some players discontented after his two seasons in charge.

I find it slightly worrying that the sale of Snodgrass and Pilkington could raise approaching £10m, and so far we have signed three players for little more than £3m, including all fees - two of them were out of contract.

I refuse to believe that there are not available players for the net £6m who are better than what we have, and there are also the parachute payments. I fear that the bean counters have hampered the signing of good quality players.Perhaps there is also the fear of Adams becoming a Hughton, and wasting money.

Whatever the imbalance between disposals and signings, and McN pointed out the our income would halve, I hope that attempts will be made to strengthen our back line, particularly RB and CB, and that we shall sign at least one who would be able to hold his own in the Premiership!

I hope that in the next two weeks my fears will be allayed, with signings, but......