Sign in to follow this  
NCFC198

Hooper

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I''m sure they are "in for him" like he was going to Reading on loan.ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha idiotic.

The only thing this is even remotely mentioned on are spam twitter sites that have links to sites that spew garbage that are LITERALLY never right about anything.

yes most people on twitter don''t really have any ''inside'' knowledge, it''s normally just a load of teenagers trying to get some attention by saying that they ''know people'' and therefore that makes them better than anyone else, like some sort of higher power.

Migs, sorry I''m late! My only point is that Hooper isn''t THAT good. Personally, I don''t think you need him to be the second best striker in Celtic''s history to support your argument. He is a proven striker at this level. There''s not really much else to say about it. I hope we keep him too. Grabban/Hooper and Lafferty/Jerome give us great squad options. Without Hooper we would need to sign someone else because I don''t think Loza isn''t quite ready for the Championship yet and Becchio is just, well... Becchio!

I thought your point was flecky that I was in fact bull$hitting people by saying that posters on the celtic forum were saying that Hooper''s their second best striker of all time (behind Larson), such as when you said; "Migs, having checked, I can tell you that very few Celtic fans consider Hooper even in their top 10 strikers of all time."

It''s true they said this because I was the one on the forum, but as I stated before, it may not be something that they actually mean.

Your point wasn''t that ''he isn''t actually that good.'' What you said was;

"All we can go by is what we have seen. Hooper cant play the lone striker, number 10 or wide role particularly well. Maybe if we play 442 he will fit in. Id keep him to allow Loza to head out on loan. He could be useful, but until we actually see him, surely the jury is still out?"

This doesn''t discuss his ability as a striker and how ''he isn''t that good,'' it discusses that you don''t believe he can play the lone striker (except doing it many times for celtic) and that he can''t play as a number 10 or out wide (because he is a natural striker). You said that he might fit in a 4-4-2. Nowhere did I see you discuss how good he was, unless i''ve misread the post?

The becchio thing is a difficult one because I doubt he wants to be here, yet if Hooper does go, then Becchio is the best thing we are likely to get.

How about when I listed a bunch of Celtic strikers and said that if Celtic fans thought he was better than them then I''d say they were crazy? I certainly meant that to be a direct reference to how good he is. That those players are better than Hoops is only my opinion of course! When referencing my own investigations, it was simply to convey that Celtic fans no longer appear to hold him in as high regard and that their opinions were probably born of the disappointment in his impending transfer away. Which I think you got?

With regards to his positions, that was based on what I have seen of him as a Norwich player and on the one occasion I saw him as a lone striker for Celtic in the Champs League. Now, to clarify, that''s not me doubting your assertion that he played there numerous times. All I''m saying is that I base my opinion on what I''ve seen. I think he neither has the pace, nor strength to play up top alone effectively. That said, I think a striker who has the complete ability to play up top on their own is a very rare thing. Hoops will have a role to play, I''m sure, and I hope we don''t sell him.

[quote user="canarywales"]and how do you know there were no offers ????????[/quote]

........how about no actual evidence of any interest from anyone at all.

so there''s no evidence of offers and no evidence of no offers...ummm, i didn''t think you can fit a personal agenda against hooper in there but low and behold.

For me hooper is the number 1 striker. Has a cracking goal scoring record which seems to have been forgotten due to hughtons terribly defensive tactics and a couple of injuries!!

I am really happy with the way grabban is playing and his goals have been vital but think he looks Ideally suited to playing wide....has bags of pace and runs the channels well. When fit id have hooper leading the line he''s really good at holding the ball up despite his size. With grabban and Redmond either side would be a formidable championship front 3.

I like Gary Hooper - but I do think he tends to be a little overrated by some.He has a good goal scoring record for Scunthorpe and Celtic.However look into those records and statistics.43 goals in 80 appearances for Scunthorpe from 2008-2010. That''s effectively two seasons - one of which was in League 1. Hooper scored 19 goals in the Championship in his second season with them.Celtic is an entirely different matter. You have teams that in terms of size and stature are more evenly compared to bottom half league 1 teams or league two teams. You have a couple that are maybe a bit bigger than that, possibly touching the championship and then you have Celtic and Rangers. In terms of players, very few teams have squads anything like a championship squad even - the money simply isn''t there.Now, I fully believe that Hooper could get that 19+ goals again in the league, but he wont be our ''main'' hope for goals this season as he was at Scunthorpe and Celtic.It will be interesting to see how he does and where he will fit into the system and shape of the team. I could see him playing in a wider attacking role or just competing for the lone striker role.Either way, the nice thing is, we have strength in depth.

[quote user="chicken"]I like Gary Hooper - but I do think he tends to be a little overrated by some.

He has a good goal scoring record for Scunthorpe and Celtic.

However look into those records and statistics.

43 goals in 80 appearances for Scunthorpe from 2008-2010. That''s effectively two seasons - one of which was in League 1. Hooper scored 19 goals in the Championship in his second season with them.

Celtic is an entirely different matter. You have teams that in terms of size and stature are more evenly compared to bottom half league 1 teams or league two teams. You have a couple that are maybe a bit bigger than that, possibly touching the championship and then you have Celtic and Rangers. In terms of players, very few teams have squads anything like a championship squad even - the money simply isn''t there.

Now, I fully believe that Hooper could get that 19+ goals again in the league, but he wont be our ''main'' hope for goals this season as he was at Scunthorpe and Celtic.

It will be interesting to see how he does and where he will fit into the system and shape of the team. I could see him playing in a wider attacking role or just competing for the lone striker role.

Either way, the nice thing is, we have strength in depth.
[/quote]

Here, here - good for the squad, not going to be our main man

Hooper will be the main man when fit , head and shoulders a better finisher than Grabban . Norwich do not buy players for £5 million to sit on the bench and Hooper is far to good for that . If Hooper had played in the derby City  would have won by 4 , cannot afford to keep missing the chances Grabban did .

5 in 5 and your still moaning.[:|] I know it must be a struggle at the moment to whinge,but Jesus.....

Not sure if the current majority view but I was absolutely delighted he stayed put, offers, no offers, whatever.

Like many of our players I really don''t think you can judge him after one season in the Prem under Cautious Chris of the Cashmere. Not once did we ever look like he actually knew who to play or how to play them together but Hooper like it or not has scored consistently on some of the biggest stages of all.

Yes his league football in Scotland was akin to a pub league but the Chapions League certainly wasn''t, played right he did the business.

Anyway as I said, delighted he''s still with us and really looking forward to seeing him back in the starting eleven.

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Hooper will be the main man when fit , head and shoulders a better finisher than Grabban . Norwich do not buy players for £5 million to sit on the bench and Hooper is far to good for that . If Hooper had played in the derby City  would have won by 4 , cannot afford to keep missing the chances Grabban did .
[/quote]

Well that may well be true but it would be unbelieavable to suggest that Hooper would have scored more than Grabban''s 5 in the last 5 games.

Hooper can sit on the bench until loss of form/injury gives him a chance so it useful he stayed but main man - not a chance.

.........and just to play devil''s advocat - Hooper''s record in the Champs is 19 goals in 54 games or 1 goal every 2.84 games while Grabban''s is 27 goals in 49 games or 1 goal every 1.8 matches.

Grabban may miss more but perhaps he also works more chances?

the 19 goals came in one season where he played just 35 games - an astonishing record that was in the 2009/10 season. The previous time he was in the championship he didn''t score any in 19 games during the 2006/07 season, however he was only about 18 - I think we can let him off.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]the 19 goals came in one season where he played just 35 games - an astonishing record that was in the 2009/10 season. The previous time he was in the championship he didn''t score any in 19 games during the 2006/07 season, however he was only about 18 - I think we can let him off.[/quote]

This "astonishing" record means that six years ago it was taking Hooper a massive 0.02 fewer games per goal than Grabban is now scoring at over the last season + 6 games.

No need to let him off, but no need to big him up either.

[quote user="Cheap Cheap Canaries"]Hooper will be the main man when fit , head and shoulders a better finisher than Grabban . Norwich do not buy players for £5 million to sit on the bench and Hooper is far to good for that . If Hooper had played in the derby City  would have won by 4 , cannot afford to keep missing the chances Grabban did .
[/quote]

Lucky for your team he wasn''t fit for the derby then, Waveney.

It''s pretty much scraping the barrel for trolling when the best you can come up with is that a player who''s scored 5 goals in 5 is missing too many chances.