and strength of character. The latter best exemplified by flexibility

and being willing to admit mistakes. Adams seems to have wanted the

diamond as his system of choice. The requisite strength of character

would be shown either by continung with the diamond but making changes

of personnel. O''Neil and/or Tettey and Lafferty in, for example. Or,

better still, by dumping the system. Embarrassing but the right thing to

do. A common garden 4-4-2 or a 4-4-1-1, for example.Inflexibility

cost us last season. If Adams shows the same lack of willingness to

change he should be given much less time than if he demonstrates that he is learning from his mistakes.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Preamble. I didn''t see Sunday''s game. I didn''t want Adams. I wanted

Mackay. But when the latter played hard to get there wasn''t an obvious

other candidate. And there still isn''t.
[/quote]There was a lot of that kind of talk back in May and June in the immediate aftermath of Adams''s appointment, Purple . It was wrong then and it is still wrong now.To recap...we were reliably informed by the bigwigs that they had trawled the four corners of Europe to find the manager that was the best fit for NCFC . and, well b*gger me, he was staring them straight in the face already at Carrow Rd all along . There really is no way that anyone with even the slightest knowledge of football is going to buy that story; still less that there were no more ''obvious'' other candidates .Now there will be those on here who say the usual '' well there''s nothing we can do about it.....we''ve got to accept the board''s decision''  . and there is more than a hint of truth about that assertion if you take it at face value . But at the same time it does NOT mean that it''s true that there were  not better, more obvious (but more expensive) candidates out there at the time.

It''s a tough one isn''t it ?

You can discount the knee-jerk '' lynch him now '' mob but the less than satisfactory display at Molyneux on Sat does put him under more pressure for the next two games. The worrying thing is that Watford and Blackburn won''t be pushovers - they looked pretty sharp against Cardiff - but Adams really needs to get at least four points from the two fixtures to keep the hounds at bay.

We need to play with a lot more style. For most of Saturday''s match it might as well have been Hughton in charge as there seemed to be little difference. Lacklustre and no penetration resulting in just the one shot on target. Not good enough.

Some on here have said we couldn''t field our strongest team. With due respect to Wolves we were two divisions apart a few months ago so we should be able to give better account of ourselves whatever team we fielded.

I really hope that Neil Adams makes a success of his appointment and he must reasonably be given at least ten games this season but I fear that should we fail to win either of our next two games the knives will be out and he probably won''t last that long.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Preamble. I didn''t see Sunday''s game. I didn''t want Adams. I wanted Mackay. But when the latter played hard to get there wasn''t an obvious other candidate. And there still isn''t.

[/quote]

There was a lot of that kind of talk back in May and June in the immediate aftermath of Adams''s appointment, Purple . It was wrong then and it is still wrong now.

To recap...we were reliably informed by the bigwigs that they had trawled the four corners of Europe to find the manager that was the best fit for NCFC . and, well b*gger me, he was staring them straight in the face already at Carrow Rd all along . There really is no way that anyone with even the slightest knowledge of football is going to buy that story; still less that there were no more ''obvious'' other candidates .

Now there will be those on here who say the usual '' well there''s nothing we can do about it.....we''ve got to accept the board''s decision''  . and there is more than a hint of truth about that assertion if you take it at face value . But at the same time it does NOT mean that it''s true that there were  not better, more obvious (but more expensive) candidates out there at the time.
[/quote]

Agree with you 100% Reggie.

Of course there were other candidates and the Board must think we''re half-wits trying to sell us the '' we scoured to Continent to make the right appointment '' guff. Why do they constantly do that to themselves ?

With Neil Adams being '' the best in Europe '' I''m surprised the Board didn''t tie him down to a Pardew-like eight year contract at least.... [;)]

Chris Hughton has the experience of winning this division before which makes him a far better choice than Adams , what did Adams ever have to offer apart from the "Norwich way" and attacking football ? nothing whatsoever and then his team turns in a performance of attacking football that Hughton would have been ashamed of .Anybody with an ounce of experience is a better choice than Adams it was a terrible decision the day it was announced and it looks even worse now .

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Preamble. I didn''t see Sunday''s game. I didn''t want Adams. I wanted

Mackay. But when the latter played hard to get there wasn''t an obvious

other candidate. And there still isn''t.
[/quote]There was a lot of that kind of talk back in May and June in the immediate aftermath of Adams''s appointment, Purple . It was wrong then and it is still wrong now.To recap...we were reliably informed by the bigwigs that they had trawled the four corners of Europe to find the manager that was the best fit for NCFC . and, well b*gger me, he was staring them straight in the face already at Carrow Rd all along . There really is no way that anyone with even the slightest knowledge of football is going to buy that story; still less that there were no more ''obvious'' other candidates .Now there will be those on here who say the usual '' well there''s nothing we can do about it.....we''ve got to accept the board''s decision''  . and there is more than a hint of truth about that assertion if you take it at face value . But at the same time it does NOT mean that it''s true that there were  not better, more obvious (but more expensive) candidates out there at the time.[/quote]I would be more inclined (as opposed to not being inclined at all) to believe I was wrong if you had gone on to name a few of these supposedly better and available managers.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I also think that''s harsh City 1st. Unfortunately, it was those of us who travel away that in my view identified Hughton''s failings at at earlier stage, and our concerns eventually became reality. Equally, I don''t see my view that Lennon would have taken us to automatic promotion, Malky top six and Adams bottom half to be in any sense an attack on the club but simply my disappointment on the reduced likelihood of success. I can''t believe that there are many who would suggest an internal appointment was what we needed after the failure and squad disharmony of last season.[/quote]yes, very nicebut all it does is avoid my point of why are you talking in the past tense about our supposed failure this season when we have only played one game ?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I would be more inclined (as opposed to not being inclined at all) to believe I was wrong if you had gone on to name a few of these supposedly better and available managers.[/quote]Well, just for starters, Purple, and only turning our attention to candidates from England, never mind the four corners of the continent....., name any name of several successful managers from the lower reaches of last seasons Champ (eg Eddie Howe, Uwe Rosler),  Lge One (eg Steve Evans ,Russell Slade), Lge Two (eg Gareth Ainsworth).  All presumably available , but at the right price?I seem to remember that , not long ago, an appointment was made of a little known but experienced lower league manager that worked out rather well. Can''t for the life remember where it was though.........

Some interesting points raised this morning, food for thought.

On reflection I think a good deal of my annoyance comes from a compound of the following:

The failure to replace Hughton until it was far too late.

Allowing a club stalwart to step up to the plate bring back memories of the whole sorry Gunn saga.

Taking an eternity to agree who the next permanent manger was going to be.

Fobbing us off with having scoured Europe.

The return of the Carrow Rd Conclave

Assembling a football management board/team that isn''t.

Bringing in Joe Royal only to see him disappear again, did he ever even turn up?

Acting in a fashion that was and is completely at odds with the way Paul Lambert was recruited who - stating he bleeding obvious - brought us more success and achievement than pretty much any manger in living memory.

So come Sunday all I saw were eleven players looking completely at odds with their new found surroundings and putting in a shift the likes of which will see us struggle badly.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I would be more inclined (as opposed to not being inclined at all) to believe I was wrong if you had gone on to name a few of these supposedly better and available managers.[/quote]Well, just for starters, Purple, and only turning our attention to candidates from England, never mind the four corners of the continent....., name any name of several successful managers from the lower reaches of last seasons Champ (eg Eddie Howe, Uwe Rosler),  Lge One (eg Steve Evans ,Russell Slade), Lge Two (eg Gareth Ainsworth).  All presumably available , but at the right price?I seem to remember that , not long ago, an appointment was made of a little known but experienced lower league manager that worked out rather well. Can''t for the life remember where it was though.........[/quote]Thanks for proving my point. You have not named one manager who is obviously better AND available. Why would Rosler (who I think will make a Premier League manager) move sideways from Wigan to us? And why would Howe, about whom I am less certain? And any manager from League One or Two would be a tremendous risk. Russell Slade? Did you look at his record before recommending him?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]I would be more inclined (as opposed to not being inclined at all) to believe I was wrong if you had gone on to name a few of these supposedly better and available managers.[/quote]Well, just for starters, Purple, and only turning our attention to candidates from England, never mind the four corners of the continent....., name any name of several successful managers from the lower reaches of last seasons Champ (eg Eddie Howe, Uwe Rosler),  Lge One (eg Steve Evans ,Russell Slade), Lge Two (eg Gareth Ainsworth).  All presumably available , but at the right price?I seem to remember that , not long ago, an appointment was made of a little known but experienced lower league manager that worked out rather well. Can''t for the life remember where it was though.........[/quote]Thanks for proving my point. You have not named one manager who is obviously better AND available. Why would Rosler (who I think will make a Premier League manager) move sideways from Wigan to us? And why would Howe, about whom I am less certain? And any manager from League One or Two would be a tremendous risk. Russell Slade? Did you look at his record before recommending him?[/quote]

So you think Adams is better than all managers listed above? If that''s the case then I think you are very much in the minority.

Also the fact that Neil Lennon who had even said himself if Norwich had of approached him he probably would have taken the job would have been 10x better appointment then Adams I''m afraid

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]The fact that Neil Lennon who had even said himself if Norwich had of approached him he probably would have taken the job would have been 10x better appointment then Adams I''m afraid[/quote]You will need to provide a direct quote to that effect because I don''t believe Lennon ever said that. And there is no evidence that he wants to get back into management. Ours was not the only job available in the summer (West Brom and Southampton) for example) but he seemed to have no interest in those either. And now Huddersfield, which would be perfect for him to show if he can actually manage in a proper league.

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 12/08/2014 1:08 AM:

I think that''s overly generous Jenkins. Adams has had the Summer to prepare yet we produce a team seemingly unsure of its tactics. We had the chance to get out of this division at the first attempt had we been willing to pay for experience. Already we are beginning to hear the excuses that ''it''s tough in the Champs''. Of course it is but with the right manager we could have escaped at the first attempt. I just hope our remaining players don''t desert the ship over the next three weeks. The writing is however on the walls.

Come on Highland, its only the first game, no matter who had taken over the reins the first few games would always have been a struggle back in the Championship. Yes the players and Adams knew it was going to be tough but there is no real preparation for what is going to hit you in the first game in the Championship, especially away to a newly promoted team. There was a thread about us being undercooked, the answer to that one was yes. The preseason in no way prepared us for Sunday, we should have played at least one game against a side that was far more direct than Celta Vigo. Second half we were looking a lot better, and better still after the subs so all is not lost.

I''m as disappointed as you and am equally fearfull of a repeat of last season, but please dont use Sundays performance as a barometer for away form for the rest of the season. You have to give the manager and the team a fair crack, the important thing will be early recognition and change IF its not working and there appears to be little prospect of improvement.

[quote user="Sussexyellow"]Re your 11:40 post, I am not going to join in the argument on your first paragraph, but I totally agree with the rest of the post.[/quote]Sussex, thanks. To be clear, I was not and so far am not convinced by Adams. But I also did not and do not see any obviously better and available candidates. I think reggie''s championing of Russell Slade is evidence of that...

So a manager with Champions league experience needs to prove himself yet a man off the radio with only a little experience with some kids is a fine appointment .In fact somebody had a story on WOTB last night take it with a huge pinch or salt or whatever but he had heard from somebody who had spoken to Lennon and said Lennon was interviewed twice for the Norwich job and was told he had to find a job for Adams , he agreed to this and the next day Adams was given the job and Lennon never heard another word .Probably b/s but then somebody on here was saying they heard Malky had to find a job for Adams too , end of the day we made the Delia cheap appointment and can now sit back and watch it backfire .

[quote user="Jenkins"]Probably b/s.........indeed.[/quote]This is in danger of turning into an internet myth. What is true is that one of the directors said there would still be a job for Adams at Carrow Road if he wasn''t appointed manager. But that is a long way from insisting he would have to be part of any new manager''s first-team coaching set-up. Adams could have gone back to the youth team or the U-21s, or been given the new job of technical director. These rumours are likely to be the result of someone who saw the director''s comment then making a false assumption. Neither Mick Dennis nor Charlie Wyett, the two national reporters closest to Carrow Road, ever mentioned the position of Adams as a stumbling block to Mackay.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Thanks for proving my point. You have not named one manager who is obviously better AND available. Why would Rosler (who I think will make a Premier League manager) move sideways from Wigan to us? And why would Howe, about whom I am less certain? And any manager from League One or Two would be a tremendous risk. Russell Slade? Did you look at his record before recommending him?[/quote]It hasn''t ''proved'' any point, one way or the other, Purple. Of course this is what happens when people are asked to ''name names''. The asker , when he doesn''t like the answer, just poo poos the suggestions. As I said, they are just general ideas; I''m sure when Lambert was appointed, no-one would have guessed it. It''s merely a principle...do you really think that a young up and coming experienced lower league manager would make himself ''unavailable'' if a team like Norwich came calling ? I''m being realistic enough to admit that EPL, Bundesliga, La Liga, and Serie A managers are perhaps a little out of our reach these days.You are, with respect, missing the whole point that I and many others have made re this. So I''ll put the ball in your court....Are you seriously suggesting that Neil Adams and ONLY Neil Adams was the best available candidate for us, irrespective of cost, in the whole of Europe in May 2014 ?

How can a MANAGER from league one or two be a tremendous risk, But a radio presenter be a good choice?

He''d never managed before he took over last season, he was useless when he did, and we gave him the job after scouring Europe supposedly.

I''m even starting to wonder if a Colchester style humping might be the best thing for the club at the weekend, I''ve NEVER wanted us to lose a match before, or even contemplated it.

That is how this sorry situation has me feeling.

As has been said elsewhere we needed a new manager with a fresh perspective, but we''ve just got a continuation from the last five games of last season.

I hope all the give him time brigade realise we''ve only scored in ONE game under adams, that''s five games with no goals out of six. That''s just ridiculous. Give me strength.

[quote user="Mickdundee"]How can a MANAGER from league one or two be a tremendous risk, But a radio presenter be a good choice?

He''d never managed before he took over last season, he was useless when he did, and we gave him the job after scouring Europe supposedly.

I''m even starting to wonder if a Colchester style humping might be the best thing for the club at the weekend, I''ve NEVER wanted us to lose a match before, or even contemplated it.

As has been said elsewhere we needed a new manager with a fresh perspective, but we''ve just got a continuation from the last five games of last season.

I hope all the give him time brigade realise we''ve only scored in ONE game under adams, that''s five games with no goals out of six. That''s just ridiculous. Give me strength.[/quote]

I agree, Remember lets give Hughton time? yea that worked out great..

[quote user="Mickdundee"]How can a MANAGER from league one or two be a tremendous risk, But a radio presenter be a good choice?

I hope all the give him time brigade realise we''ve only scored in ONE game under adams, that''s five games with no goals out of six. That''s just ridiculous. Give me strength.[/quote]more idiotic shytethe bloke has his coaching badgeshas worked extensively with the club and youthseven winning the youth cupby your cretinous bleat no one who appears in the media shoulld have any manageral job

back down the A140 with you, bin boy

He needs at least 4 points v Watford and Blackburn in the home games coming up. Whilst there may be some good will towards him, there is not a lot of confidence amongst supporters still shocked by his appointment. There is only one way to silence your critics that is win games. The Wolves game was a very bad start. Unless he is up and running amongst the top 6 by the end of September it will be optuion B time who ever that may be

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He needs at least 4 points v Watford and Blackburn in the home games coming up. Whilst there may be some good will towards him, there is not a lot of confidence amongst supporters still shocked by his appointment. There is only one way to silence your critics that is win games. The Wolves game was a very bad start. Unless he is up and running amongst the top 6 by the end of September it will be optuion B time who ever that may be[/quote]

That''s about right. The real problem is there''s no reason to have any faith at the moment, he''s just the only thing with a pulse that could have been shoehorned in. Real truth is that he''s not shown any spark and the fear is that he does turn out to be mediocre and we find ourselves mid-table 10 games in, before we give him the boot.

The board need to be hunting as of last year and should already have a shortlist, but if we''re not taking 10 points from the next 4 games, it''s got to be time up.

[quote user="City1st"][quote user="Mickdundee"]How can a MANAGER from league one or two be a tremendous risk, But a radio presenter be a good choice?

I hope all the give him time brigade realise we''ve only scored in ONE game under adams, that''s five games with no goals out of six. That''s just ridiculous. Give me strength.[/quote]more idiotic shytethe bloke has his coaching badgeshas worked extensively with the club and youthseven winning the youth cupby your cretinous bleat no one who appears in the media shoulld have any manageral job

back down the A140 with you, bin boy

[/quote]And you think that qualifies him to manage a team expected to challenge for promotion in the Championship ? Dear oh dear oh dear .