Sign in to follow this  

Whilst I''m reading of past players on this board, does anyone remember Terry Anderson? After he finished his playing career, I had the privilege of working with him when he was manager of a certain (now gone) sports shop on Grove Road, and I became good friends with him, sneaking out back to smoke and having a laugh about many things. It was an impressionable time for me having enjoyed watching him play before I got to know him. He was a very decent guy, and I have very fond memories, and was gutted when he died under strange circumstances. I often think of him and wonder if any of you have any thoughts, stories, or memories about him that you would like to share?

I was young at the time but I think I can remember him scoring the winner with a stooping header in the early 70s - perhaps our first season in the old first division?

One of the first things I remember about City when I first arrived in Norwich in 1972 was a piece of grafiti in the loo at the Adam & Eve Pub which said ''Terry Anderson for England!''. Great player, great guy!

Terry joined us as a winger from the Gunners and wasn''t that successful. However he became a midfield player and blossomed in that role to become a very influential player for us. I seem to recall that he was found dead in a ditch off the Acle Straight although my memory may be at fault with this detail.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]Terry joined us as a winger from the Gunners and wasn''t that successful. However he became a midfield player and blossomed in that role to become a very influential player for us. I seem to recall that he was found dead in a ditch off the Acle Straight although my memory may be at fault with this detail.[/quote]He was a good winger, but then he reinvented himself for a season or so as an unlikely central defender, and did well there.

Yes Purple. He played centreback in our promotion season covering when Big Dunc was injured. He had been playing in the midfield since Saunders re-invented him. When I first used to go to the reserves he was a regular for them on the wing. When the Bond revolution came to Carrow Road he went back on the left wing for a few games. My favourite Terry Anderson stat was that he scored our first ever top flight away goal. Memorable one at that because it put us in front at the portaloo.

I seem to remember it was Gorleston beach some time after a training run that he was found. RIP Terry Anderson.

A gifted, underrated player who was unable, and I am at a loss to understand why, to establish himself.

I stood at the River End when he scored an overhead kick in the last minute against Charlton. It was sublime.

He had good control, could turn comfortably and pick a pass. In fact he was our main midfield player under Lol Morgan.

Played centre back when Forbes was injured and I don''t think we lost.

I would put him in my top ten favourite City players.

Yes remember him well. A key member of our promotion winning side.

I started supporting during the Saunders era and I think you have a special affinity for the team that played when you first started going to matches - they were the ones that captured the imagination and set the foundations of the passion.

OTBC

I''m very happy that he seems to be remembered by many in a positive way, and thanks for your responses.

Sadly, there was some suspicion that Terry had financial problems, and that whatever happened on his training run was self imposed, although we never had that confirmed.

He was a true gent. RIP indeed. Was glad to make his acquaintance.

Terry Anderson was a "Mr Dependable". A good, competent, honest player but not showy. Don''t think I''d call him a great player though. (Ron Saunders was good at making a team of individuals gel into an effective force, even in (what was then) the First Division). I don''t ever recall any one ever criticising Anderson''s contribution or effectiveness but neither do I recall him ever being the fans'' favourite - just well liked and respected. Stringer & Payne were much the same. I do recall his death was considered unexplained rather than suspicious - and very, very sad.

On of my favourite players of the era.  Always gave 100% and much loved by the Carrow Road faithful of the time.  Good close up of Terry at 3.40mins (ish) in the attached clip from our first ever game in the top flight.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWuAJn0KJdYNote a certain Joe Royle scored the equaliser.Remember it as if yesterday, plus his goal at Ipshit on the Tuesday night when we won 2-1.  Then came back to earth at Maine Road on the Saturday.

I remember watching him play for Gorleston after he left City. A very underrated player and yes I remember that Arsenal game too when he scored two goals and prompted that "Oh Mee oh My" Pink Un headline (Bertie Mee was Arsenal manager at the time). Still makes me laugh - I miss the days of witty Saturday night headlines in the Pink Un!!

[quote user="YellowBlood"]I remember watching him play for Gorleston after he left City. A very underrated player and yes I remember that Arsenal game too when he scored two goals and prompted that "Oh Mee oh My" Pink Un headline (Bertie Mee was Arsenal manager at the time). Still makes me laugh - I miss the days of witty Saturday night headlines in the Pink Un!![/quote]Hot Cross Bone

''Dunces with Wolves'' was one of my favorites.

Back on topic though always ha a lot of time for Terry Anderson and he was one of the key members of the 71-72 promotion team.

[quote user="City1st"]Hot Cross Bone[/quote]Still think that was one of the best headlines ever City1st[:D]