Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

The missing striker

Looks like we will sign at least one more striker with a big list of potential forming now. I have a feeling some will be waiting for a prem move, especially the older ones who need their prem fix now. Here''s the contenders, where do you think they will end up?:

Jordan Rhodes - Good: Can score and hold the ball up, proven goal machine. Bad: May be expensive and subject to premiership interest

Ross McCormack - Good: Can score, proven goal machine, would annoy Leeds fans again. Bad: not the tallest, so we already have his type and may be subject to premiership interest.

Matty Fryatt - Good: Cheap, available, decent in the air and scoring goals. Bad: Nothing special and we may already have better without getting him.

Shola Ameobi - Good: Great presence in the air, hard working, scored at this level before, free agent. Bad: Questionable goalscoring when all career considered, high wages, interest from top flight and abroad.

Grant Holt: Good: We know what we''re getting here, likely to be available reasonably cheap. Bad: may be past it, may not want to come back, never usually as good second time round.

Kris Boyd: Good: Free, can score goals and not bad in the air. Bad: questionable work rate and ability at this level, probable big wages and ego.

Troy Deeney: Good: Good in the air, 2 strong seasons of goals at this level, still young. Bad: Reasonably expensive, potential fiery attitude, premiership interest potential.

Leroy Lita: Good: Free, decent goal record at this level. Bad: not the best available striker.

David Ngog: Good: potentially a great striker in there and free. Bad: more likely a complete donkey living off his Liverpool days still.

Andy Keogh: Good: great record in the air at this level, free. Bad: not enough goals scored.

Any more you''d add to the list?

Apart from maybe the top two, I don''t think we would be interested.

Loza has already played league football and seems to show promise.

Adams surely won''t abandon our youngsters who he helped mature, in favour of tossing the dice. He has Grabban already and surely last season''s failure by both the big signings shows what a risk it can be.

Martin showed what a bit of faith can do for a younger home grown player.

I personally think we''re done for strikers (unless we sell anyone). I think we need another attacking midfielder and Centre Back

Agree that it depends on who is leaving. IMO, the top two would be too expensive. McCormack had a great season last year, but scored 5 times in 32 games the previous season.

My choice would be Deeney, whose scoring record has been consistent over the last 3 seasons. Fryatt would be second, as good value on a FT and a reasonable replacement for either RvW or Hooper (at this level), should either leave.

Unless anyone leaves we''re done in that department.

I believe we won''t see RVW and I have my doubts about Loza, I think he might go out on loan, that being said leaves us with just two strikers, so we do need at least one more.

But we need a second type of striker, we need a big target man. I''m not sure we are going to predict who that might be, another suprise in store?

Rhodes, Mccormack & Deeney all very good and certainly wont come cheap.

No way to Lita, Boyd, Ngog, Ameobi.

I believe these will stay:

Hooper

Grabban

New Signing

Loza/Morris as back up

RVW & Becchio WILL be sold.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Apart from maybe the top two, I don''t think we would be interested.

Loza has already played league football and seems to show promise.

Adams surely won''t abandon our youngsters who he helped mature, in favour of tossing the dice. He has Grabban already and surely last season''s failure by both the big signings shows what a risk it can be.

Martin showed what a bit of faith can do for a younger home grown player.[/quote]We have to give it our best shot this season , going with youth would be a huge mistake , how many of the youth cup winning side do you think will make the grade at say Championship level my guess would be 1 maybe 2 tops .

I am all for giving the youth a chance in moderation but not to be relying on them. I agree with the guy above we don''t need any more ''number 9'' type goalscorers but we do need the target man/ trequarista type that will keep the ball up that end of the pitch and create openings.

From what I can gather the Wolf went missing after the Everton game and never played football again

McCormack would be amazing and is by far the most complete player on that list. I would be blown away if we managed to lure him here. Also WACCOE would become the most entertaining site on the internet again for a few days!

They''ve been chasing Hooper for years, maybe a swap+ a few million from us? :)

3 points -

1. Grabban is not very strong in the air - he is a pacey, hard-worker. He has often played off a big man. We still do not have a big man (Becchio could poss do this, but there''s doubts over whether he''ll be here).

2. McCormack is also not very good in the air, and is most similar to Hooper really.

3. Therefore we deffo still need to sign a target man, otherwise we''ll have the same problems as we did last season.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Like I''ve repeatedly said, the problem isn''t so much the forwards it''s the supply. We need to create more. Hooper/Grabban/Becchio/RVW will get goals, given decent opps[/quote]

Thanks goodness someone else sees it - was starting to think I was watching a different game from everyone else...   Exciting strikers,   just need to attack in a way to give them decent chances instead of slow build up play with poor pass delivery and defensive priority...

Don''t worry Zipper, CUSDP you are not alone.

It has been obvious for a long while that the problem is/was not the strikers but the restrictive, slow attacking, play that they had to be part of.

No striker did well under Hughton although they had all been able to score before coming to us.

Now is not the time to judge them.

Alot depends on who is on their way. If Becchio was to leave then we need a target man imo. If they are all staying I''d be more than happy to go with what we''ve got.

Me too, although CH is a decent guy he just didnt seem to be a ''strikers manager''. If Hoops, RVW, Loza, Becchs and Mr Grabban get their groove on we''ll be on our way back in the 1st season. I feel the squad is strong enough to return straight away. If we dont let any forwards go, then we dont need any one else...up front that is. This would leave plenty of dosh for a.n.other in midfield (maybe two if Leroy has a good world cup) plus some real quality at the back.

My initial thought on the topic was ''we dont need another missing striker....got plenty as it is.

Vokes has a really bad injury, be out for months. He scored 20+ goals last season for Burnley so will feature when fit, no chance with that one.

Why is everyone still so obsessed with target men? How about a front 3 of Redmond - Grabban - Bennett with Howson in behind? Play Johnson and Tettey as holding and a back four of Martin - Bennett - Turner - Olsson. Assuming Turner and Olsson are still here and Fer, RVW and Snodgrass have gone.

If Snodgrass sticks around I would really prefer him to play as the second striker/ advanced midfielder.

Whilst he has quality out wide I think he has everything to play the ''Wes'' role, but even better; he scores more, he sets more up and has a lot more in the non-attacking areas of his game. Will also free up the right-wing spot for someone like Bennett who is much better suited for putting slow defenders on the back foot, something we sorely missed this season.

If it worked I don''t think we would really need another forward, even if one left. Like others have said before, these players should have goals in them.