Sign in to follow this  
Winning 25

Painful ITV viewing!

Much as I think most of us agree that ITV sport coverage as a whole is far inferior to the Beeb I thought Adrian Chiles & Co did OK filling in for the half hour or so that the match was stopped.Bearing in mind that they had to camp in what must have been sweltering heat in that tunnel they held it together pretty well. Wheeling in Roy Hodgson was to be expected perhaps but adding some '' filler '' with the ref and the stadium guy helped pass the time.All pretty light hearted stuff and its a shame that Glenn Hoddle hasn''t got a sense of humour like the other three.

My favourite Andy Townsend moment ever has to be the game we finally secured qualification to the world cup. Gerrard has just made it 2-0, England are virtually going to Brazil. Joy everywhere.

And what does Townsend say?

"He could have gone down there to win a penalty"

Brilliant punditry, just brilliant.

Is there a good TV station for coverage? All have their painful, embarrassing or dull contributors (David james, Steve mcmanaman, Jamie''s carragher & redknapp, keane, Townsend, Lawrenceson, shearer etc etc) laden with bland cliche filled obvious observations.

Gary Neville and Lee Dixon stand out in an otherwise predictable group, the former doing other jobs this summer and Dixon lost in the Chiles Keane adoration show.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]On a side note, BBC are sending 272 staff to Brazil to cover the World Cup and ITV are sending 120, both will cover the same number of games.Nice to know that so many BBC staff are on a jolly at out expense.[/quote]

You quite clearly have no idea how much work goes into making a TV show do you?

Certainly not going out on a jolly...

Andy Townsend said the other day... '' they really can hit it, some of these international players, foster had to make a save there, they really can hit it, these internationals''.......CODSWHALLOP! Does he mean that non internationals cant? or that the very same players cant hit it when they''re not playing for their country? or that only internationals can hit it.

And he has a very condescending attitude towards Norwich.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Molly Windley"]On a side note, BBC are sending 272 staff to Brazil to cover the World Cup and ITV are sending 120, both will cover the same number of games.Nice to know that so many BBC staff are on a jolly at out expense.[/quote]

Certainly not going out on a jolly...[/quote]Does it take the BBC more than twice as many staff then? Do they have cameras that need two people to operate, and they need a "left speaker" and "right speaker" monitor for stereo broadcasting?

Why the hell not, Chops - funnily enough it is not all down to tv, the bbc are covering every single match on the radio and online, as well as having their tv coverage: this is something itv doesn''t have to worry about. Sounds like you have swallowed some classic daily fail-style lies.

[quote user="Gingerpele"][quote user="Molly Windley"]On a side note, BBC are sending 272 staff to Brazil to cover the World Cup and ITV are sending 120, both will cover the same number of games.Nice to know that so many BBC staff are on a jolly at out expense.[/quote]

Certainly not going out on a jolly...[/quote]

A bit off-topic, but .you mean like when the BBC an athletic event abroad and we get Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson, Michael Johnson, et al all sitting in a glass studio at the event with their stupid headsets on talking b0ll0cks? That''s not even mentioning the track-side interviewer who just asks crap, inane questions. None of them need to be there. They add nothing and could all be sat watching a feed to a studio in Salford.

Don''t forget, they''d have to sell a lot of Doctor Who series to pay for that so it''''so basically your money (if you pay tax) that they''re wasting.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Why the hell not, Chops - funnily enough it is not all down to tv, the bbc are covering every single match on the radio and online, as well as having their tv coverage: this is something itv doesn''t have to worry about. Sounds like you have swallowed some classic daily fail-style lies.[/quote]

Guardian reader alert

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]The bbc are covering every single match on the radio and online, as well as having their tv coverage: this is something itv doesn''t have to worry about. Sounds like you have swallowed some classic daily fail-style lies.[/quote]ITV - 120 peopleBBC - 272 peopleI reckon radio coverage needs fewer people than television, and internet coverage needs less than radio.I understand ITV need to be cost-effective as a truly commercial enterprise, but that disparity, if true, is astounding.  Not to mention at the same time the BBC will no doubt have 500 people at Glastonbury, and 230 people at Wimbledon.

You ''reckon'' do you, so no actual knowledge at all there, then - just beeb bashing for the sake of it and followed up by some made up numbers. Are you absolutely sure you don''t work for the Fail?

I imagine they know a little bit more about what they need than you or I....I''m not pro or anti bbc, but it shouldn''t be bashed merely for the sake of it.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jun/06/bbc-staff-glastonbury-world-cup-brazil-2014

Now the Guardian has explained it, I reckon that''s all fine.

"Don''t forget, they''d have to sell a lot of Doctor Who series to pay for that so it''''so basically your money (if you pay tax) that they''re wasting. "

Errr, how much tax goes to the BBC exactly?

And have you ever been subjected to TV in other countries? The BBC is one of the things, like the NHS, that keeps the Great in Great Britain.

it''s just a shame that the BBC couldn''t sell some of the Glastonbury stuff abroad to make some money

err, they dovia BBC Worldwide

whilst we are in the real world there will be at least 5 stages being covered which given that many will be running for around 12 hours minimal you will be having to duplicate a fair number of sound/light and camera folk... unless in the wonderful world of the Daily Waillall this can easily be lugged between the various stages and set up there will be editing folk, engineers and other bods who will make things tick .. as they do, because iIcannot remember when the coverage of any major event went dowbut then the Daily Wail and other s have a vested interest in getting their grubby hands on broadcasting - whereby the idea of standards and quality are merely a drain on profitsand if you whinge bags want a good lesson in quality then you should have been watching the BBC''s coverage of the D Day commemeration - they were too bad the first time round either

[quote user="Nuff Said"]"(if you pay tax) .[/quote]

Dont we all pay tax? 

whether its VAT,  fuel duty, income, inheritance, council or the tv licence itself I dont think there is an individual in the country who has not paid a tax of some sort this year?

I have no qualms about the army of highly trained, highly skilled engineers working behind the scenes providing quality viewing.But when I see a very average ex player (Danny Mills) being interviewed on the beach saying nothing of any significance, then I think they are taking the p***.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Nuff Said"]"(if you pay tax) .[/quote]

Dont we all pay tax? 

whether its VAT,  fuel duty, income, inheritance, council or the tv licence itself I dont think there is an individual in the country who has not paid a tax of some sort this year?

[/quote]Absolutely, and the burden of non-income taxes is far higher proportionately on those with lower incomes. My point was that the licence fee funds the BBC (apart from a little from the government for things like the World Service), although having now belatedly done a little research apparently the licence fee is classed as a tax, which is why you can get a prison sentence for not paying it.