Sign in to follow this  
Winning 25

Painful ITV viewing!

Thunder storm England game! Lee, Ian, Glenn and the other geeza are having to be very professional!! They could do with Chris Hughton on their commentary team. That bloke is unflappable in a media setting. 

[quote user="Jenkins"]Adrian Childs,......what a wonka[/quote]
Thank you. He''s been very awkward. Good job we don''t have unpredictable weather here in the UK. Only ten minutes to kick off! The game is crying out for a Roy Keane.

Adrian Chiles seems to me like a bloke who one day walked infront of a camera and started talking. Nobody stopped him and since then everyone has been to embarrassed to do anything about it.

How did he ever get employment in the media, let alone the top job?!

I remember him going on the one show for a bit, then itv said ''we want a bit of that'' and gave him loads of money to leave the bbc to do daybreak. I''m pretty sure they regret that decision very much.

I''m beginning to think something is going on between Glenn Hoddle and Adam The Llama.

I just don''t see any reason for the adoration - it is 0 - 0 against Honduras in a friendly isn''t it. Not against Spain in a semi-final?

England had a triumphant 0-0 draw against a plucky Isle Of Man XI who had to play three sheep in their starting line up due to holidays - and have a Shetland Pony on the subs bench. This match was the last before England start on their quest to exit the World Cup at the earliest possible chance...

thought the storm was the most exciting bit, and I never watched it, F1 for me is where we will have more chance of a world Champion

On a side note, BBC are sending 272 staff to Brazil to cover the World Cup and ITV are sending 120, both will cover the same number of games.Nice to know that so many BBC staff are on a jolly at out expense.

Adrian Chiles was due to be a financial journalist and has extensive business & financial knowledge.  He got into the light entertainment & then sports gig by accident.I think he''s alright, as generic everymen without any trace of personality go. 

[quote user="Molly Windley"]On a side note, BBC are sending 272 staff to Brazil to cover the World Cup and ITV are sending 120, both will cover the same number of games.Nice to know that so many BBC staff are on a jolly at out expense.[/quote]It amazes me that we can''t solve the left wing problem when the BBC have so many willing volunteers.

Most sport on ITV is painful viewing IMO, it is one of the downsides of the World Cup\England matches that they mostly seem to be on there.

Andy Townsend has to be the worst "colour man" going.Striker misses goal with shotTownsend: "He''ll be disappointed he hasn''t hit the target there."Defender fouls attacking playerTownsend: "Yeah, he''s definitely caught him there."Thanks Andy, great insight - and love that mockney accent.Disgraceful. 

since way back ITV  have been pretty awful with their football coveragebar MOTW

I still play FIFA 2005 on a game cube just because it has Motty doing the commentary (with Ali McCoist - best line is "It''s bad news Ali, there''s no chips today").

I hate Andy Townsend''s commentating with a passion (only just short of my passionate hatred of C*nt Arthur Strong), but unfortunately in this wonderful digital age you no longer have the option afforded by the analogue system of watching the pictures with the radio commentary - every digital medium in my house is out of sync. with the others.

re the match... did anyone else think it was a bit like watching Norwich this season - toothless up front and very shaky at the back?

I thought that Glen Johnson did a very good impression of Snodgrass - a quick counter-attack sees the ball played out to Johnson on the wing who proceeds to not take the fullback on, turns back and plays a short pass, thereby slowing the attack down to a snail''s pace.

I know that I slept through some of the game, but did we have anyone on either wing?

I liked the way we played through the middle - quite continental in style and not very English - but also not really very effective either.

One last thought - these last two games have really not been very friendly - I thought last night''s game was like a Liverpool Derby - anyone could have seen red at any minute. Was it a case of playing too poor an opposition?

Yep,said exactly that to my son. As somebody on twitter remarked, ''In the excitement of the World cup you tend to forget just how s*** England really are''.

Oh and on the subject of Adrian Chiles,I first came across him on 5 live radio years ago. He used to do the daily business reports. Thought he was ok at that tbh.

[quote user="Molly Windley"]On a side note, BBC are sending 272 staff to Brazil to cover the World Cup and ITV are sending 120, both will cover the same number of games.Nice to know that so many BBC staff are on a jolly at out expense.[/quote]That''s quite normal. At the 2008 Euros they had the largest contingent of any country, rented a huge office complex for the duration. Only thing missing was a football team from any of the Home Nations!

To be fair to the beeb, for those slating them, they do have both tv and radio + other formats to cover - no one looks to itv to cover the web, for instance, and if the beeb didn''t those same moaners would moan about their lack of coverage....

BBC do Radio as well I presume.

As for Townsend - after choosing to play for Ireland I have no idea why he is allowed to do England matches. No way would Irish TV let that happen.

His stating of the obvious is painful.

As for the England team. Sturbridge is greedy and had a stinker, and we are again trying to create a formation to play chosen players. Welbeck as a winger? It should be Lambert up front with Rooney or Sturridge playing off him - but we can''t leave Rooney or Sturridge out.

Dropping Ruddy speaks volumes about Roy (Pick your mates) credibility.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]To be fair to the beeb, for those slating them, they do have both tv and radio + other formats to cover - no one looks to itv to cover the web, for instance, and if the beeb didn''t those same moaners would moan about their lack of coverage....[/quote]I completely agree that the BBC coverage is far superior to ITV''s but do they really need 152 more staff than them (actually based in Brazil) to cover their radio and web commitments. Nice work if you can get it.

"At the 2008 Euros they had the largest contingent of any country, rented

a huge office complex for the duration. Only thing missing was a

football team from any of the Home Nations!"

much as they did with the USA presidential coveragesimilarly we had no candidate standing

I would rather listen to Nigel Farage than Townsend and Chiles so I think that says it all. [:D]

Modern commentators are unable to resist commenting on everything that is happening, this drives them repeat their inane and blindingly obvious remarks for the entire match.

What happened to the days when the commentator just called out the players name as the ball was passed around, only choosing to colour up the dialogue when things got interesting?

It would be nice if an ex-England player was the co-commentator for the England games on either channel. Townsend or Lawrenson instead, and, as has been mentioned, can you imagine Shearer or Crooks getting an ROI or Scotland game?

Mind you...who is there?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Most sport on ITV is painful viewing IMO, it is one of the downsides of the World Cup\England matches that they mostly seem to be on there.[/quote]

ALL programming on ITV is painful viewing. Bloody dreadful channel for a cultural snob like myself.