Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Expectations v hope

Imo opinion the expectation of Adams is too high.  One of the reasons Lambert did so well was he came in to a club that was as low as it could get in morale, expectation and stature - we were on the rocks.  In some ways the only way was up - and once on the up we didn''t stop - the momentum carried us through. Adams doesn''t have that momentum to carry him through - and we are not rock bottom - the only way isn''t up. Hughton had high expecations of him and he couldn''t live up to them. So what is the point in expecting Adams to get us promoted?  It will only lead to frustration if we don''t do well straight away.  Do we ever learn?  The thing thay I''ve learned watching the club over the years is that the more expectations we have as fans - the more likely we are to be disappointed.You can go back to Saunders. Momentum built gradually over that season - no-one really expected us to be promoted that season until about half way through the season when we started to look unbeatable.  Bond/Brown/Stringer was just a joy - most of the time we didn''t need to expect anything - we knew that we were going to be ok because the football was always entertaining and we had a great ethos at the time.  Walker took it up another level - and having reached third the first year of the premiership - you know what happened?   We started to expect more.   Expected to splash out more money for one thing.  Expected to get better players so we could go on and win the league.  We lost that feeling of we are just a good club celebrating  and watching  entertaining football.  Expectation took over.  So it went on - we started getting managers in that we expected to get us promoted - Rioch, Hamilton, etc etc.   By the time Worthy arrived the expectation had got less and we were at the stage of hoping he would get us up, rather than expecting him to - low and behold we got promoted.   We go down after that and once again it is a case of we "must get back"  so the pressure is on again - expecting managers are going to succeed - and seeing that expectation come to nothing.   It wasn''t until we couldn''t realistically get any lower that we changed our attitude.   

There is one thing I agree with City 1st on.  That we should always aim to be as high as we can - but that is not the same as "expecting" to be high up the table.   With Adams we should imo aim to be as high as we can - but not expect it.   "Expect" promotion and you will almost certainly be disappointed.  "Hope", as fans that we will do well and you are more likely to get that success. 

I expect the usual brigade to try and devalue this thread, lecture, lecture etc, but somehow, if we can learn anything from the way our club has gone over the years - it is that the "expectations" are what make things harder to achieve.   Ask Man City. Villa.  Leeds......  

I don''t think it''s wrong to expect as fans of a newly relegated team with no finance problems to be there or thereabouts next season, if we finish outside the playoffs it will be a complete failure, if we don''t get promoted i can''t call it a successful season. Any worse is unthinkable!

I think people read too much into any disharmony in our squad and the players will be ready to go and hoping to put the relegation right. If there are any decent top flight teams that come in with decent bids then obviously they will probably leave, but I can''t see many kicking up a massive fuss.

This a carbon copy of a Lakey Hughton thread, he''s just changed the name to read Adams! :facepalm:

If we''re not top 6 around November he should leave. He knew there''d be expectation when he took the job and if we don''t make a good crack at getting out of this league quickly, we will be down here for god knows how long. Finishing outside the play offs would be an absolute disaster.

[quote user="Wiz"]This a carbon copy of a Lakey Hughton thread, he''s just changed the name to read Adams! :facepalm:[/quote]

Spot on Wiz.  Its not who is in charge that matters, but our reaction to him that matters.

LDC, you remind me of the old jukebox they had in the Crown and Anchor just down the road. No matter what selection somebody made, it always played the same record over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

In the end they scrapped it and replaced it with a pool table, so be careful.

Only 3 and of 24 get promoted and 1 in 4 get promoted straight back so odds on we won''t get promoted. The critics will blame the board and manager when in reality the problem is a lack of education.

[quote user="T"]Only 3 and of 24 get promoted and 1 in 4 get promoted straight back so odds on we won''t get promoted. The critics will blame the board and manager when in reality the problem is a lack of education.[/quote]

It''s not the fans fault the Manager and Board are uneducated!

So another season when either lack of money(only 18th in league spending) Or statistics are against us so no hope OR....

Any other excuses we can look forward to your using T, wrong time of month, a 4/5 in the year?

Football is a sport that is played by HUMAN beings therefore statistics, however good will  be faulty because of  the human element ( perseverence or frailty).

On a passing not T EVERYONE on this forum is entitled to their opinion, wrong or right and to keep denegrating the people of Norwich and Norfolk with your snide remarks shows you in a worse light than any (ok most) of them[;)]

The statistics are the outcome of human activity so they take into account human activity.

Everybody is indeed entitled to their opinion just as I''m entitled to point out reality. I was not blaming the people for their views which denigrate locals but the education system which is ok at higher levels but not as good at lower levels.

The odds are we won''t be promoted and the odds are numerous people will seek to deny that reality.

We have the best team in the league at the moment. 3 proven 20+ goal a year strikers at this level and some outstanding internationals like Ollson, Ruddy and Snodgrass. It would be pretty poor if we''re outside the top 6 after Christmas.

That being said even Hughton got a season and a bit from me despite employing the worst football I''ve ever seen any team play so I won''t be personally calling for his head if he doesn''t get it right this year.

On the whole, I agree with you LDC.

However, it will be a bit of a disaster if we finish in the bottom half. I could cope with narrowly missing out on the playoffs, but 10th and below, would be very disappointing.

It''s hard to quantify expectation vs hope too. We all hope we''ll do well and finish 6th or above, but I''m not sure who is actually *expecting* it. To expect it would suggest the person expecting promotion has the utmost confidence in the manager and players - but I don''t think any of us feels 100% sure that we''ve got exactly the right management team or players - it''s all up in the air and generally untested.

We certainly expect, on paper, the team to do well in this league, but it''s not without considerable doubt too, for me.

I also don''t think there''s anything we fans can really do at this stage (i.e. try to start Hoping rather than Expecting) - the other good things (promotion with Worthy/Lambert) happened as you pointed out, when the club was in the doldrums. At the moment, we''re in a pretty good state and that''s why we feel hopeful/expectant of a decent season. That''s just the way it is - you can''t blame the fans for expecting a decent season when really, being in such as good state following relegation from the prem, that''s what should follow.

I am not buying into the 1 in 4 thing. We are a strong relegated team. We have the players with enough quality and just need to plug a couple of gaps. We also have the money to give it a proper go and have no real disharmony or big divas on £100k a week tying us down. I''d say it''s an absolute must that we are in and around the playoffs minimum.

Here you are:

Expect: I expect Norwich to at least be in and around the playoffs this season and realistically challenging for the title.

Hope: I hope England win the world cup.

I hope we get promoted but expect us to be in the play off spots.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I am not buying into the 1 in 4 thing. We are a strong relegated team. We have the players with enough quality and just need to plug a couple of gaps. We also have the money to give it a proper go and have no real disharmony or big divas on £100k a week tying us down. I''d say it''s an absolute must that we are in and around the playoffs minimum.[/quote]The 1 in four figure may be historically accurate (I have no idea) but there are two new factors which, combined, suggest it now understates the chances of a relegated club getting back at the first attempt.There are the increase in parachute payments and the Football League''s Financial Fair Play rules, which seem to be being implemented with some force and success.

The one in four statistic takes into account parachute payments albeit this may change as a result of increased parachute payments.

Secondly FFP has so far proved ineffective as demonstrated by qpr.

[quote user="T"]FFP has so far proved ineffective as demonstrated by qpr.[/quote]It''s been very effective where the binners are concerned........

I have little expectations going into next season, nor much hope for automatice promotion.

Generally a change of manager will take a few months to get going, QPR kept a core of the team and Harry was still in charge, as Cardiff have this time and I would put them as clear favourites to go up!

We know the "we don''t have to sell" remark but we also know that we will no doubt have at least 6 or more players out the door come August and hopefully new players in. It wll depend on who we get in and lose to how much pressure will be on Adams. If he is not backed by the board then he has nothing but my full backing regardless of the psositin but my dissapointment will be with the board for a second season!.

If by some miracel we keep the better of the players and add to that then Adams becomes the target.

I don''t think we will spend more than we sell and I don''t think too many high profile players (Fer, Snodgrass, Bassong, Wes, Olsson etc.) will be here come the first Championship game. It will pretty much depend on who comes through that door as replacements.

HOPE I''m wrong though but I believe we will finish just ahead of the binners in about 10th.

[quote user="The Butler"]You can always tell a Telegraph reader![;)][/quote]Yeah, they post links to it on here. [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="The Butler"]You can always tell a Telegraph reader![;)][/quote]

Yeah, they post links to it on here. [:D]
[/quote]

Nope bloodhound, confirmed EDP reader.

Like to keep things local

Just knew where to look using the tried and tested "Holmes" method.

Er... think there was something on BBC and pinkun news as don''t read telegraph. No surprise Butler is an edp reader though.

[quote user="T"]Er... think there was something on BBC and pinkun news as don''t read telegraph. No surprise Butler is an edp reader though.[/quote]

With all the international news on the various TV stations plus all the news coming in via Multi media, it''s THE BEST place for all the local gossip.

Surprised you use one of their sites and not patronise them (Cheapskate![:D])

We would all like to bounce back up, and that is our hope. This is tempered, however, by the realisation that some good clubs missed promotion last year and two clubs came down with us. All of these will probably try to improve their chances.

Cardiff have already signed players, many of which we might regard as not good enough for us, and Fulham have had a clear-out, and may sign others.None of the clubs will stand still.

It might be fair top regard a top six finish could be regarded as a fair expectation, therefore, but even this could be upset - e.g. by major injuries, because our effective squad is not large.

[quote user="Jenkins"]This is the thread of a loser.[/quote]

Realism is hard to understand, I know, Jenkins, but nevertheless, the truth is that fan''s expectations very are very rarely lived up to. The more you expect something in football, the more you are likely to less satisfied with anything less.  Its a recipe for disappointment at every level.