Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Academy statues

I''ve always thought that the Grade One Academy statues by the club it a big mistake costing us up to 2 million a season and just to emphasize my point I came across this old picture of our Under-15''s in 2000.  [URL=http://s107.photobucket.com/user/SwindonCanary/media/StarsoftheFuture.jpg.html][IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/SwindonCanary/StarsoftheFuture.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

In trying to prove your point, you are actually reinforcing the opposite.

That picture is precisely the reason we needed to spend money on the academy, and the recent success of our youth, including those breaking into the first team reinforces the point further surely?

I''d go back to bed and get up again if I were you lol.

There''s at least £100k of talent there!

So surely having a better academy is a good thing. £2m, all it takes is for one of our players to be good.

If Josh Murphy for instance becomes a regular player for us, he''ll be worth at least £2m, either to sell or to not have to buy a player to play that position.

The point is that Ac. 1. is not worth the money considering the fact that our youth set-ups have often not produced the goods over the years.

This may or may not be true but I would rather make that deduction after another two years when the present crop of youngsters will have matured.

As I see it, the big advantage of Cat. 1. is the fact that we can recruit from further afield and from other clubs without that status. This is important to a club like NCFC where geography and population and probably act against us being a hot-bed of footballing prospects.

ITFC are most keen to raise their youth status and the finances of it are more crucial to them than us. As things stand at the moment we can poach their best prospects, although the exact rules elude me.

It only takes one starlet to make it (Murphy? Loza? Morrison?) for it all to be financed. Ask Southampton supporters.

Besides this, a successful conveyor belt of youngsters who succeed in the lower leagues is somewhat profitable.

[quote user="morty"]

That picture is precisely the reason we needed to spend money on the academy, and the recent success of our youth, including those breaking into the first team reinforces the point further surely?

[/quote]

The current youth team was produced with a status one academy though, so maybe the £2m a year isn''t a sound investment.

Personally I think it will cost more than it makes, but it is still something the club should persue with. There is always the slight chance the academy will produce a £10m player and break even for a while (who knows, Norwich could have the next Gareth Bale and break even for 30 odd years off the back of him).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

The current youth team was produced with* a status one academy though, so maybe the £2m a year isn''t a sound investment.

[/quote]

*without status one

Does it cost £2m pa for the academy with cat 1 status or or £2m pa extra on top of the costs already in place?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Does it cost £2m pa for the academy with cat 1 status or or £2m pa extra on top of the costs already in place?

[/quote]

It is a minimum budget that clubs have to spend on their academy per year/season. I had in my head £2.3m for some reason, but I just Wiki''ed it, and that says £2.5m.

So if our Academy costs £2.5m then surely we can assume that even if were weren''t Cat 1 we would still have an Academy, which would cost how much? I can only guess but would suggest at least £1.5m, so being Cat 1 costs us £1m or less per annum.

This allows us to compete in the top level of the U21 league, which in turn allows us to recruit better players from home and abroad and it only needs one per annum to be half way decent and we would recruit the £1m, or one every three or four yrars who is worth £3-4m and we recruit our money.

We have a crop of young players at the moment who may well go on to be good players for us or sold at a profit, Murphy x 2, Gafaiti, Loza, McGeeham, Toffolo, Hall Johnson, Morris, and others. The club also recently recruited a lad from PSG who also looks the part and for whom there are high hopes.

Going back to the argument that many of these players came through or were signed before the club was Cat 1, that is true, but we were heading towards certification and wre committed to it and perorming as a Cat 1 club (you obviously have to to be signed off), so technically we weren''t Cat 1, but in practice we were.

IMO worth the money, if we want to be seen as a bog club then we need to do the things big clubs do.

Ooops,

Obviously meant BIG club, just befoe you all take the pi**

[quote user="Ray"]So if our Academy costs £2.5m then surely we can assume that even if were weren''t Cat 1 we would still have an Academy, which would cost how much? I can only guess but would suggest at least £1.5m, so being Cat 1 costs us £1m or less per annum.[/quote]

This was the point of my question really;   we will always have an academy,  is there any (and if so what is it) additional cost to being cat 1?;   it''s about balancing that extra cost against the benefits that you have highlighted.

In the context of our club budget it seems a reasonable investment and one that will hopefully improve in return over the next decade.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="morty"]

[/quote]

The current youth team was produced with a status one academy though, so maybe the £2m a year isn''t a sound investment.

Personally I think it will cost more than it makes, but it is still something the club should persue with. There is always the slight chance the academy will produce a £10m player and break even for a while (who knows, Norwich could have the next Gareth Bale and break even for 30 odd years off the back of him).

[/quote]Its not just about manufacturing players to sell though, its about meaning we don''t have to pay other clubs for players they have developed. Yes, you''re right, the current crop were produced before the status was awarded, but this is the culmination of quite a few years hard work, we didn''t just earn the status over night.And the way I understand it, the Cat 1 academies will get the cream of the crop, the very best youngsters. I believe that this will easily pay for itself in years to come.