Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

OT: England World Cup Predictions

If Roy bottles it and plays Lampard and Milner then we haven''t got a hope of getting out of the group stages. We''ll spend too long trying to keep the ball rather than getting it into the opponents third.

Our best bet I think is to play a fast attacking midfield preferably The Ox or maybe Barclay infront of Gerrard. We can worry teams by running at them and getting in behind their defence. When we sit back and invite teams to attack us we crumble.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]I think we''ll probably be knocked out in the group. Chances are we will have to beat one of Italy or Uruguay, and I am not sure if we have enough about us to do so. The Italians should handle the heat better in Manaus, and Uruguay are a solid, organised, combative team who always perform much better thn the sum of its parts- and that is before you take into account Suarez and Cavani up top.

However, if we can sneak through, ideally finishing second so we can stay put in Rio instead of travelling back up to the heat of the north, then we have a great chance of progressing to the quarters. But I can''t see us going beyond that under any circumstances.[/quote]

I''d say they Uruguay the exact opposite of that. They are a little all over the place and rely on the individual talents of Suarez, Cavani and incredibly still Forlan to do anything. They finished 5th in South American qualifying, a long way off the pace of Argentina or Colombia (they probably wouldn''t have made the world cup if it was hosted outside of South America due to Brazil also being in the qualifiers).They were beaten 4-1 by Bolivia and Suarez and Cavani are yet to play well together - Cavani was dropped in favour of Forlan for a large part of qualifying.

England''s group isn''t easy, but don''t over hype an incredibly average Uruguay team.

Anyone who thinks Uruguay are an average team is a nutter

The 4-1 defeat was most likely a South American footballing fix they were always gonna qualify with Brazil through already

We will get 4pts finishing 3rd

starting against Italy is one that will probably produce a draw because neither side will want to lose.

Then it will come downt to beating Uruguay to get through, assuming everyone beats CR.  It''s not going to be easy.

Probably knocked out in QFs I expect.

I tend to think Italy is a winnable game, I don''t see them as a power house and in our league. If our youngsters play as they can we will win this game.

Uruguay on their continent will be our toughest game, that''s why I think it''s important to blow Italy away in the frst 20 minutes. Can''t wait for Saturday. 

These ''earmarked 0-0''s'' often end up 1-0 because one team messes up or has one moment of brilliance.

I''m going 1-0 England, Cahill header to win.

The talk coming from the camp that Rooney is the first name on the team sheet is bothering me.

On one hand the camp says "of course we can win it, there is no point turning up otherwise".

And now they are saying Rooney is fireproof because all the other countries fear him. So if Barkley is playing better, he won''t get in. So why take him? Just for the last 15 minutes?

Maybe the other countries think that he is past it and to keep him in would harm our chances and improve theirs.

If we are gambling on beating Costa Rica to progress, then we really shouldn''t be there.

I am hoping I am completely wrong and the tactics work against Italy and Uruguay and we don''t even need to beat Costa Rica.

So I will be ambitious despite my reticence and go for a 2-0 victory. Sturridge and Sterling to score and Joe Hart MOTM.

England should get out of the group stages at least.
The quarter-finals (as usual) will be about their limit though.
An early exit in the group stages is not impossible, but should be considered unlikely (and a failure).

[quote user="splutcho"]Stephen Warnock and Matthew Upson were in the squad in 2010. [/quote]
*shudder*
Who''s the weakest in this squad? Lampard? Forster?