Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

OT: England World Cup Predictions

I think we''ll get out of the group. Beat whoever we face from Group C (Though Colombia would be really tough), then lose to Brazil or Spain in the quarter finals.

Attack and we make the quarters.

Defend and we won''t leave the group.

Show Italy too much respect and we will lose.

Allow Uruguay to attack us and their strikers will cash in.

The last game will be meaningless then.

Run Italy off their feet and we will win.

Attack Uruguay''s suspect defence and we will cash in.

Confidence will be high by then and the reserves would win the last game.

Run all game against Italy and we''ll be shagged out in 30 minutes and be picked off.

If football was as easy as attacking every game = definite win then everyone would do it.

Play to our strength splutcho, if we try to hold onto the ball and play a slow game against Italy they will beat us easy. In most part, it will be slow but we need to have pace and guile up top not a floundering unfit Rooney.

I think we will struggle to get out the group as I don''t think Roy will have the guts to go with the raw tallent of Barkley, Sterling and such like but will end up playing Rooney, Milner & Lampard, which will mean we will lose the first two games and be heading home after the group stages.

Key players for me are Cahill at the back, who I really rate. Easily our best CB for ages. After him, Henderson in Midfield needs to be there to provide the tempo like none of our other options can really. Sterling is the guy I feel we will look to for breaking down stubborn defences and having Gerrard behind him covering will mean he won''t be scared to attack.

Sturridge will be our main goal threat, but Rooney has to play as he''s well capable of making a difference more than any of our players. I feel he''s getting a hard time in the media and from some supporters but he is easily our main man. We need him to perform and it''s the first time since 2004 he''s gone to a tournament properly prepared.

That first game versus italy promises to be such a cagy affair, I can see 0-0 or 1-0 either way. I think both teams will be petrified of losing that one.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Key players for me are Cahill at the back, who I really rate. Easily our best CB for ages.  [/quote]

Depends what you consider "ages". Both Terry and Ferdinand were better and Campbell was superb.

Cahill is the best we''ve got at the moment though.

If our first choice back four stay fit (Johnson, Cahill, Jags, Baines) I dont think we will conceed many.   

We can''t go gung ho, our passing, movement and attacking players are limited at best,  and wont last a full 90 mins,  we have to be patient.   If we can learn that and some discipline we can make the QFs,  I suspect we wont be able to do that and expect us to crash in the final 16 as we are lacking creativity, discipline and passing.

I fully expect us to qualify from the group.We''ll end up playing either Brazil or Spain in the QF, if we play Spain then we''ll reach the Semi''s.

Put it this way, Cahill is the best since Ferdinand was in his prime.

Terry was a beast and still is but he always struggled a bit for pace. Cahill has everything.

[quote user="splutcho"]I think we''ll get out of the group. Beat whoever we face from Group C (Though Colombia would be really tough), then lose to Brazil or Spain in the quarter finals.[/quote]

^ This. With Argentina to win it. Italy game will be very tight and would like to see Lallana play at 10 to unlock an obdurate defence.

Rooney is plan A - a bit of brilliance/ a long shot/ a nice bit of link up with Sturridge. If he is not on his game, Lallana is plan B, he has a bit more zip and confidence about him as well as a lovely left foot, Sterling is plan C, he has the pace to rip Italy a new one, cutting inside and combining with Sturridge or Rooney getting into dangerous areas.

Plan D is a Gerrard howitzer, Plan E is a set piece with one of the CB''s getting on the end of a Baines delivery, Plan F are the subs like Barkley.

Sturridge isn''t included in these as he is a part of each of the plans. He is there to finish and displace defenders.

England 0-2 Italy

England 2-2 Uruguay

England 2-0 Costa Rica

we finish 3rd in the group because suarez scores a hat trick against costa rica.

(wow, 2 years of Chris Hughton really has destroyed my sense optimism and blind faith!)

Why do people go on about knackering ourselves out in 30 minutes?

Playing a hig tempo does not mean headless chicken football, if we are chasing shadows trying to get the ball back after going one down would e  a lot quicker way of knackering the team then playing quick passing controlled football.

Even with one o the worste Italian sides in a while, allwoing them to have the ball and time they will punish us.

It will by natue be a far slwer game than if it was playd in England that''s a given, but it should not stop us from making sure when we have the ball we hurt them.

[quote user="splutcho"]Run all game against Italy and we''ll be shagged out in 30 minutes and be picked off.

If football was as easy as attacking every game = definite win then everyone would do it.[/quote]

What is wrong with running? It''s the easiest part of the game. If they aren''t fit enough to give it a go for the first half then there is something wrong.

And this season showed that the best teams are the ones who attack no matter what their formation.

Football is a 14 man game. Italy will be expecting the usual slow build up that we have unsuccessfully copied from other countries.

Instead of the usual subservient "we have to be careful of Nepal, they are no mugs" how about a bit of optimistic "let them worry about us".

The rugby boys showed against the All Blacks that the right attitude together with pace and power can upset the very best. Upset them early enough and show intent and you are winning the battle.

That is why our cricket is on a down at the moment. We have a power play and are timid to hit it unlike the Aussies and WI who go for it when the opportunity presents itself.

People forget that this Italy team contains the likes of Abate, De Sciglio, Candreva, Balotelli, Insigne and Cerci. They are certainly no slouches.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="splutcho"]Run all game against Italy and we''ll be shagged out in 30 minutes and be picked off. If football was as easy as attacking every game = definite win then everyone would do it.[/quote] What is wrong with running? It''s the easiest part of the game. If they aren''t fit enough to give it a go for the first half then there is something wrong. And this season showed that the best teams are the ones who attack no matter what their formation. Football is a 14 man game. Italy will be expecting the usual slow build up that we have unsuccessfully copied from other countries. Instead of the usual subservient "we have to be careful of Nepal, they are no mugs" how about a bit of optimistic "let them worry about us". The rugby boys showed against the All Blacks that the right attitude together with pace and power can upset the very best. Upset them early enough and show intent and you are winning the battle. That is why our cricket is on a down at the moment. We have a power play and are timid to hit it unlike the Aussies and WI who go for it when the opportunity presents itself.[/quote]

Playing in the winter in England and running all game is a very different matter to playing in Manaus and running for 90mins in over 30 degrees and around 70% humiditiy. I don''t know if you have experienced climates like that, it doesn''t happen in the UK, but I grew up in that kind of weather and it is debilitating. A short 40 meter sprint will take around double normal recovery time, after one half the players will start to become dehydrated, which impairs decision making abilities, and the amount of sweat in the eyes makes it hard to see. Add to that the fact breathing becomes harder amd muscles weaken quicker. All in all, it is horrible.

I would also argue against your point that the ''best teams attack no matter'' - I think this is causality - the best teams are the best because they attack, they can attack because they are the best teams. A lot of useless teams attack all the time, and lose a lot as well. Also teams that don''t have as much quality in terms of players have always be able to achieve more by being solid and defensive i.e. Greece in the Euros, Jose''s Porto and Inter, Di Matteo''s Chelsea.

England will have to dig deep and fight to get a result against Italy, but to say the only way to show that is in mindlessly pouring forward is a fallacy. The winner in Manaus will be the team who deals with the conditions better than the opponent. I expect both teams to approach it tentatively and both will be happy with a draw.

Winners: ArgentinaEngland overall: Knocked out in quarters by BrazilEngland vs Italy: 0-0England vs Uruguay: 1-1England vs Costa Rica: 3-0Golden boot: HiguainPlayer of the tournament: MessiI think Argentina have the best attacking options with three true world class forwards all likely to start and a world class midfielder in Di Maria. Defensively they are merely ok, but then again so are their main rivals Brazil.England will struggle through the group and pip Uruguay on goal difference as I think Italy will put a couple past them. Rooney will finally score at the World Cup against Uruguay and win his head to head against Suarez who will struggle with poor support from average midfielders. Spain will be the tournaments disappointments and go out in the quarters also, ending their golden era.Chile will be the suprise package and get as far as the semis. Germany will also do well, despite Reus being out. Ozil and Muller will show their class and Klose will be a bit part player, but come on as a sub and break the goal scoring record. Portugal also to to do suprisngly well, with Ronaldo showing his class.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="keelansgrandad"][quote user="splutcho"]Run all game against Italy and we''ll be shagged out in 30 minutes and be picked off. If football was as easy as attacking every game = definite win then everyone would do it.[/quote] What is wrong with running? It''s the easiest part of the game. If they aren''t fit enough to give it a go for the first half then there is something wrong. And this season showed that the best teams are the ones who attack no matter what their formation. Football is a 14 man game. Italy will be expecting the usual slow build up that we have unsuccessfully copied from other countries. Instead of the usual subservient "we have to be careful of Nepal, they are no mugs" how about a bit of optimistic "let them worry about us". The rugby boys showed against the All Blacks that the right attitude together with pace and power can upset the very best. Upset them early enough and show intent and you are winning the battle. That is why our cricket is on a down at the moment. We have a power play and are timid to hit it unlike the Aussies and WI who go for it when the opportunity presents itself.[/quote]

Playing in the winter in England and running all game is a very different matter to playing in Manaus and running for 90mins in over 30 degrees and around 70% humiditiy. I don''t know if you have experienced climates like that, it doesn''t happen in the UK, but I grew up in that kind of weather and it is debilitating. A short 40 meter sprint will take around double normal recovery time, after one half the players will start to become dehydrated, which impairs decision making abilities, and the amount of sweat in the eyes makes it hard to see. Add to that the fact breathing becomes harder amd muscles weaken quicker. All in all, it is horrible.

I would also argue against your point that the ''best teams attack no matter'' - I think this is causality - the best teams are the best because they attack, they can attack because they are the best teams. A lot of useless teams attack all the time, and lose a lot as well. Also teams that don''t have as much quality in terms of players have always be able to achieve more by being solid and defensive i.e. Greece in the Euros, Jose''s Porto and Inter, Di Matteo''s Chelsea.

England will have to dig deep and fight to get a result against Italy, but to say the only way to show that is in mindlessly pouring forward is a fallacy. The winner in Manaus will be the team who deals with the conditions better than the opponent. I expect both teams to approach it tentatively and both will be happy with a draw.

[/quote]

I don''t believe I mentioned mindlessly pouring forward. I said run Italy off their feet. That means a bit of pace and prolonged attacking so that Italy end up tired after chasing us around the pitch.

Its a 14 man game over 90 minutes and I would like to see us use our subs in a more tactical way for once rather than the panic of throwing on players in desperation.

If you are asserting that conditions will play such a vital role then why not run when you are at your fittest and try and establish a lead. It will be harder, if conditions are so important, to chase the game later on.

I have actually run a marathon in very similar conditions. As much as conditioning and training are vital, having the heart and will to succeed is equally important. And if your mind and heart are right, your body will adapt.

I fractured my pelvis after 28K in the Paris Marathon but still ran the last 14K because my mind was set on finishing especially after spending £200 a night on hotel rooms in one of the worlds expensive cities. I am not blowing my own trumpet, I am just saying I conditioned my mind to try and ignore the pain because all I could think of was I had wasted my money if I pulled out.

Year after year, tournament after tournament, England have managed to find excuses apart from the plain truth that their football was simply not good enough,

The truth is that USA94 would have been played in worse conditions. Apart from endless water stops, there were no complaints from Ireland but of course we weren''t there.

England have now got a squad of promise. I don''t expect them to go past the quarters but have real hopes for Euro 2016.

So let us see a team go out and seize the initiative for once.We have nothing to lose. The nation doesn''t expect but just maybe the sight of an England team playing with style and endeavour might just grab peoples attention.

Wroys Wrooney will win the golden boot and we''ll beat Argentina in the final and keep the Falklands out of football! this is sport not poilitics you cheating bunch of ***** Go on try the hand of god again!

In truth, I have to say, we have the players who are good enough to beat any team there on the day, if we start well by beating Itlay and gaining confidence, Ox, Barkely, Lallana, Sturridge, Sterling, to mention a few can scare the pants of any team not to mention a fit Rooney and Gerrard on their day are also top class players. The only reason England won''t go a long way is belief.

I think we''ll probably be knocked out in the group. Chances are we will

have to beat one of Italy or Uruguay, and I am not sure if we have

enough about us to do so. The Italians should handle the heat better in

Manaus, and Uruguay are a solid, organised, combative team who always

perform much better thn the sum of its parts- and that is before you

take into account Suarez and Cavani up top.However, if we can

sneak through, ideally finishing second so we can stay put in Rio

instead of travelling back up to the heat of the north, then we have a

great chance of progressing to the quarters. But I can''t see us going

beyond that under any circumstances.