Sign in to follow this  
YellowNets1901

Technical Director

How do you know that they are not currently tied up with the world cup.

[quote user="InchY"]How do you know that they are not currently tied up with the world cup.[/quote]

Is that a new FIFA promotion, get tied up with the world cup.

The more urgent need is probably to find a new chief scout, so he, Adams and Royle, plus McNally, and with or without the input of the outgoing Ewan Chester, can identify transfer targets for the summer window (bearing in mind who might leave) and for the longer term.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]I agree Purple, but it didn''t get in the way of signing Grabban.[/quote]True, but that was an easy one. We were obviously going to be after a striker, and it was known Grabban was available. And he was a known quantity. A different matter if we sudenly have to, say, find an adequate replacement for Fer, particularly if that means looking overseas.

When Joe Royle et al were announced the club seemed to suggest the Technical Director was already in place and they were interviewing Directors of Recuritment - I imagine there will be a double announcement with both men in the next few days.

The cynical side of me would say that many clubs are waiting for the World Cup to bury bad news, so maybe an ''underwhelming'' choice to be announced 5 mins after England kick off against Italy...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

When Joe Royle et al were announced the club seemed to suggest the Technical Director was already in place and they were interviewing Directors of Recuritment - I imagine there will be a double announcement with both men in the next few days.

The cynical side of me would say that many clubs are waiting for the World Cup to bury bad news, so maybe an ''underwhelming'' choice to be announced 5 mins after England kick off against Italy...

[/quote]

Need to get their fingers out less than two weeks until the players return for assessment and training.

I still fear a Nigel Worthington appointment.

I liked Worthy on the whole, he got let down by an unambitious board. He''s done well since and as another string to our backroom staffs bows, he''s not the worst idea.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I liked Worthy on the whole, he got let down by an unambitious board. He''s done well since and as another string to our backroom staffs bows, he''s not the worst idea.[/quote]Have you forgotten about Huckerby, Crouch and Harper and then Huckerby, Svensson and Mackenzie? That was the most ambitious spending spree I can remember from any Norwich City board, before or since. Conveniently overlooked by Worthington in his bleatings about how we should have done a Hull and spent millions we didn''t have, regardless of the consequences.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Jimmy Smith"]I liked Worthy on the whole, he got let down by an unambitious board. He''s done well since and as another string to our backroom staffs bows, he''s not the worst idea.[/quote]

Have you forgotten about Huckerby, Crouch and Harper and then Huckerby, Svensson and Mackenzie? That was the most ambitious spending spree I can remember from any Norwich City board, before or since. Conveniently overlooked by Worthington in his bleatings about how we should have done a Hull and spent millions we didn''t have, regardless of the consequences.
[/quote]

Not to mention his ''real fans'' remarks Purple..........unhappy days.

Surely Jimmy is referring to the fact that the board refused to spend big money on Ashton in the summer, a move that probably cost us our Premier League status that year, and then failed to back him with ay significant funds from the parachute payments. We spent in the region of £3 million in the summer before our Premier League adventure followed by around £300k the season after. That was a real lack of ambition. Worthy WAS clearly let down. We spent around £2million in total on 5 players (2 of whom were loanees) trying to get to the Premier League and we say that was ambitious?

That said, I''m sure Worthy won''t be a candidate. Is the technical director not just a posh name for Sports Scientist?

[quote user="Fleckys FlipFlop"]

Surely Jimmy is referring to the fact that the board refused to spend big money on Ashton in the summer, a move that probably cost us our Premier League status that year, and then failed to back him with ay significant funds from the parachute payments. We spent in the region of £3 million in the summer before our Premier League adventure followed by around £300k the season after. That was a real lack of ambition. Worthy WAS clearly let down. We spent around £2million in total on 5 players (2 of whom were loanees) trying to get to the Premier League and we say that was ambitious?

That said, I''m sure Worthy won''t be a candidate. Is the technical director not just a posh name for Sports Scientist?

[/quote]Refused or didn''t have the money? This is not Monopoly where you start over with a new load of cash. The board backed Worthington to the hilt financially in the late summer and the winter of the promotion season. We were in the automatic places (2nd) when the January window opened and could have played it safe, but instead splashed out on Huckerby, Svensson and Mackenzie. As a result we finished top a whole 8 points clear. But by definition that meant there was less available in the summer.Even if we could have scraped together some some money to buy Ashton that would have been it for the whole season. A bad injury to him or someone else vital and we would not have been able to afford a replacement. And the one thing everybody who has run NCFC agrees on, from Smith and Jones and Munby and Doncaster to Smith and Jones and Bowkett and McNally, is that you always leave money for January.

If we had the money in January though, that implies we also had it in the summer. Also, if we always leave money for January - how come our faltering campaign this season was bolstered only by Yobo and Gutierrez on loan? Are we spending some of that unspent funding now, after the horse has bolted? Or were there no funds in January? Id always thought we had funds for January, especially as a large portion of the 25m we spent this summer actually came from the previous season (RvW). So what gives? Wheres the cash?

On the basis that we managed it in January I would suggest that we did have the money. As I said, that outlay was around £2 million quid. The summer saw us bring in Edworthy, Brennan and Francis on free transfers and a few loan signings. Worthington had his limitations, sure but I can''t see how anyone can say he was ''backed to the hilt''. He did a great job in getting us in to the Premier League but once he was there, the board failed to back him. What they did was put the money back in to developing other aspects of the club and perhaps that has laid the foundations for where we are now. That''s not my argument, nor am I saying that they were either right or wrong to do so. All I am saying is that Jimmy is right to say that our board was unambitious at the time. Worthington was not backed financially in the way that was needed for a prolonged stay in the premier league or a swift return to it.