Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

David Bentley

What happened to him this season?

He left Spurs and has had a year off. I think his spell at us sums up his career really, flashes of brilliance, curtailed by injuries and lack of professional attitude at times.

He''s obviously a talented player with set piece skills meaning he''ll always have a place in league football somewhere until his 40''s.

I''d probably say that he''s an unnecessary risk for us with our wide options and the fact we have money to spend, but what do people make of him and where he should go next?

It seems odd his Spurs career affected him so badly, as he was good for a season or two for them until he lost his place and had to go on loan moves. I think a step down and a permenant move somewhere and he could have a renaissance.

I was thinking more like my local side Harrogate town, we had a guy who played for Leicester on our books a couple of seasons ago who was late 30s early 40s and even though he had no pace, his set pieces and long passing was exquisite and a massive cut above the rest of the players on show. Bentley may have bad attitude and may lose what pace he still has but you don''t lose the ability to deliver a good cross.

If he sorted his head out and got in with a lower championship cub, he could excel in this league. I''d imagine being constantly shipped off on loan is quite debilitating as John Ruddy would tell you. He must have been on a fair whack from Spurs and refusing to give that up to get a permanent move away.

Given he describes the ''good old days'' when there were jokers like Adams and Parlour about and it''s all to regimented these days, perhaps he''d suit a move to MLS or something?

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]He''s retired from football, apparently ''lost the love'' of football so is now running a restaurant abroad somewhere.[/quote]

in other words he was sh*t and couldnt face Unibond league football for the rest of his career.

[quote user="Kirkstall Yellow"]I met david bentley in Chips Away in Wymondham on the day of the Arsenal game at carrow road that season. He was driving a purple Ford Ka. True story.[/quote]

must have sold the 4 X 4 I saw him drive in on Ipswich Road and Park at Riverside car park in to buy the KA....

Trying to find his name now, I did find Trevor Benjamins career very amusing when it came up on my research though and do you remember Matt Heath, the big defender? He plays for Town now! He''s a colossus for me on FM :D

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Trying to find his name now, I did find Trevor Benjamins career very amusing when it came up on my research though[/quote]

just looked him up wikipedia.. he''s played for 31 different teams!!!!! including 5 in 1 season!!! this must be some kind of record.

what the hell happened?!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Trying to find his name now, I did find Trevor Benjamins career very amusing when it came up on my research though[/quote]

just looked him up wikipedia.. he''s played for 31 different teams!!!!! including 5 in 1 season!!! this must be some kind of record.

what the hell happened?!

[/quote]

He''s also played at every level from the top down to the 10th tier! Another record surely!

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

what the hell happened?!

[/quote] He''s also played at every level from the top down to the 10th tier! Another record surely![/quote]

I can put him in touch with a couple of Sunday league sides if he wants.. might as well complete the set!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="Ooh Ahh Lee Power"]He''s retired from football, apparently ''lost the love'' of football so is now running a restaurant abroad somewhere.[/quote]

in other words he was sh*t and couldnt face Unibond league football for the rest of his career.

[/quote]Don''t see what you''ve got against the guy, he never intended to play football if I remember correctly and hadn''t even played for any kind of team until he was 15.  If he isn''t interested surely it''s better to leave rather than become a mercenary.

The same David Bentley that was on Arsenals books at 13?

I think you might mean someone else, I thought it was Theo Walcott but it appears not him.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]The same David Bentley that was on Arsenals books at 13?

I think you might mean someone else, I thought it was Theo Walcott but it appears not him.[/quote]No I do mean David Bentley.  Perhaps it was 13 then, but either way he never wanted to be a footballer.

Retiring at only 29 and not through injury shows what a waste he made of his opportunities. He had bags of talent and he should have been an established Premier League player and an England squad member at least.Looks like the familiar story of a bloke believing all the hype but then not being prepared to put in the graft to justify it.Sad.

Jimmy Bullard references him in his book; says that he was simply too much of a ''lad'' and couldn''t handle being told what to do by managers and coaches. Says he was constantly joking and couldn''t stop winding people up - including screaming ''Postman Pat'' in Fabio Capello''s face every time he walked past him. I remember Worthy dropping him for recreating the John Smith''s advert.Was technically very gifted.

When he played for us he said he liked the country-side and talked to the cows at the bottom of his garden, may be he''s getting a job on Countryfile.

If reports are true, his 5 year contract at Spurs earned him over 35 million pounds !I wonder how he''s going to waste that ?   I understand he''s gone into the restaurant business.

David Bentley is just one of many who maybe deep down didn''t want to follow the discipline necessary to become successful as a pro-footballer. Obviously he''s earned more and had a greater talent than a lot of other footballers who''ve ended up leaving the game.But perhaps this could be seen as a waste of his life in the sense that he could have done something more fulfilling outside of the game, rather than him wasting his footballing ability.

He''s 29 a bit early to say that he has wasted his life!

He has only been an adult for 11 years and has 38 years left to reach retirement age, his life is only just beginning?

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]He''s 29 a bit early to say that he has wasted his life!

He has only been an adult for 11 years and has 38 years left to reach retirement age, his life is only just beginning?[/quote]He''s obviously not wasted his whole life, but there are people who''ve packed quite a lot into their twenties. This doesn''t necessarily have to be in their career either, eg travelling the world, working as a volunteer etc.I agree that Bentley''s got plenty of years left careerwise. My point was that just because someone is very talented at something doesn''t mean that they''ll be happy pursuing a career in that area. I don''t think people would be saying that he wasted his football talent if he had left the game aged 22 and did something else that he enjoyed more and was more dedicated to.

[quote user="JonnyH"][quote user="GrantsMoustache"]He''s 29 a bit early to say that he has wasted his life!

He has only been an adult for 11 years and has 38 years left to reach retirement age, his life is only just beginning?[/quote]He''s obviously not wasted his whole life, but there are people who''ve packed quite a lot into their twenties. This doesn''t necessarily have to be in their career either, eg travelling the world, working as a volunteer etc.I agree that Bentley''s got plenty of years left careerwise. My point was that just because someone is very talented at something doesn''t mean that they''ll be happy pursuing a career in that area. I don''t think people would be saying that he wasted his football talent if he had left the game aged 22 and did something else that he enjoyed more and was more dedicated to.[/quote]

I''ll swap him my maths abilities for his football abilities then, then we can both be happy!

Not sure if we are on the same page JonnyH.

He is a 29 year old millionaire who doesn''t need to work another day in his life if he doesn''t want to, who can do whatever he wants whenever he wants from now until the day that he dies.

And you think he should have quit football at 22, gone travelling for a year and then had to work a 9-5 until he was 67 like most normal people?

How many 29 year olds own bars and restaurants, he has it made and will ''live'' more than most of us*

* if his gambling addiction didn''t take his fortune.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"]Not sure if we are on the same page JonnyH.

He is a 29 year old millionaire who doesn''t need to work another day in his life if he doesn''t want to, who can do whatever he wants whenever he wants from now until the day that he dies.

And you think he should have quit football at 22, gone travelling for a year and then had to work a 9-5 until he was 67 like most normal people?

How many 29 year olds own bars and restaurants, he has it made and will ''live'' more than most of us*

* if his gambling addiction didn''t take his fortune.[/quote]

He now needs to try find something that fulfills him. It''s a problem for a lot of us in our twenties. It''s harder than you might think unless you''re lucky enough to have grown up with a plan in mind.

[quote user="GrantsMoustache"].....

He is a 29 year old millionaire who doesn''t need to work another day in his life if he doesn''t want to, who can do whatever he wants whenever he wants from now until the day that he dies......... 

How many 29 year olds own bars and restaurants, he has it made and will ''live'' more than most of us............[/quote]Now why do I get the feeling that the future antics of a wealthy self-retired 29 year old ex-professional called David Bentley  won''t have a happy ending......??