Sign in to follow this  
Dubai Mark

Style of play next season.....like England?

Watching England play early this morning, particularly the forward play, mad me think about how Neil Adams will set us up next season. I''m thinking that our style of play could well be of a similar style to England, other than leaving our left back so exposed that is. It is the style of football I personally like and am hoping for.......what are your expectations for next season on Norwich City''s style of play?

I don''t think we left our left back exposed .... they were just too good for Baines.

Cole would have delt with all of it fine.

Although Baines get some blame the formation was weird and left Italy in command of midfield which really exposes your defence.

And as for Joe Hart no one seems to have pointed out how poor he was for second goal Ballatelle had little to aim at yet Hart stood on his line and did not even prepare for the header until on its way very very poor and then beaten at near post from tight angle .

Even for first goal he should have screamed at defence to get out then he would have got better sight of shot.

If you mean an emphasis on quick, counter-attacking football then yes, I could see that. It was the main focus of the FA youth coup winning team.

[quote user="Phillip J Fry"]If you mean an emphasis on quick, counter-attacking football then yes, I could see that. It was the main focus of the FA youth coup winning team.[/quote]

Phillip, my question to that is, do we have the players (at the moment) to play that way? Apart from Ollson and Redmond where is the pace to counter attack going to come from? I think, in my humble opinion the "Norwich way" is to pass the ball through the various areas on the pitch as Swansea have done recently, but again I question whether we have the right players to do that. We will obviously have a better idea closer to the new season when we see what the squad is like.

OTBC

Ron Manager: "Phillip, my question to that is, do we have the players (at the moment) to play that way?"
Yes. Redmond, Olsson, the Murphy twins, E.Bennett and Grabban are all more than fast enough to play on the counter. You have to then mix it with good decision making, playing the right pass at the right time. That''s the area we really need to work on. Last season, we were never quick enough in our decision making to make counter-attacking a viable strategy.

Philip, the decision making process will not change by the manager, that''s purely down to the player in question, and, in that regard we were not that good. However, please don''t think I''m, being argumentative I really agree that needs to worked on but again at the moment we don''t have those players. If we had had those players last year I really think we would have stayed up irrespective of the manager.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Philip, the decision making process will not change by the manager, that''s purely down to the player in question, and, in that regard we were not that good. However, please don''t think I''m, being argumentative I really agree that needs to worked on but again at the moment we don''t have those players. If we had had those players last year I really think we would have stayed up irrespective of the manager.[/quote]
A manager can give instructions regarding speed of play though. A manager may encourage his teams to play a slower, more deliberate game or he can encourage them to play a faster, less accurate long-ball game or anywhere in-between the two extremes. Hughton, for whatever reason, encouraged players to play a far slower and more deliberate game which, due to a combination of different factors, failed to work. That was Hughton''s ''style'' he wanted playes to take time on the ball and slow the tempo of the game. 
Adams, based on what little I''ve seen of him, is a manager who places emphasis on speed and quick transitions in play which is far more suited to a counter-attacking style. Perhaps calling it ''decision making'' is the wrong phrase, perhaps it would be better to call it a focus on quicker passing and attacking spaces when they appear rather than a slower game which aims to break down the opposition defence.

I agree that the build-up was often too slow. Having the players for quick, counter-attacking football doesn''t mean that has to be the only approach. Variety is more effective and keeps the opposition guessing, as well as making them more nervous about sending too many players forward. The counter-attack is more effective when it has an element of surprise. If you do it all the time, it''s far less effective.

I agree 100% with PJF, we actually do have the players to play a counter attacj style of football, and who is to say that we will not sign one or two more to compliment the squad and style, if that is indeed what we will see. I also agree that we shouldnt become predictable, and need a "Plan B"........   

It could work, on the premise that while we are attacking the opponents are not attacking, but I was always worried that that, with a centre midfield composed of (an ageing) Gerrard and one other in front of possibly the least competent back four we have had in some time, we were always likely to leak goals.

It could work. Under Lambert we went out to win, and were content to ship goals so long as we scored more. I think that I am saying that if we have fast raiding wingers, which I would like, a central midfield of Howson and Johnson or Tettey, might well not be able to stop attacks and protdct a back four always likely to concede.

Who would be a manager?

Style of play next season.....like England?  Both England and Norwich should press the ball high up the pitch and pass the ball quicker and more accurately !

I would love us to play 3 at the back like Hull did last year, with the right new CB we could be an amazing attacking and possession unit imo. Argentina played with 3 at the back but their problem was they have too many people who go on runs and don''t pass it to each other enough.

------------------------ruddy------------------------

----------Martin---Bassong---new CB---------

Bennett----Fer----Tettey---Howson--Olsson

------------------Hooper---Grabban-------------

I can see a style like England played working for us next season.

As for not leaving Leighton Baines exposed "they were too good for him".  Yes, the two attackers he was left having to defend against by himself, that is....

I dont think the tempo of England was the problem. I think letting Pirlo dictate, leaving Baines exposed plus his poor defending, were more of a problem.